help with changing my battery

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
been a while hope i can get some help with this issue,

i ordered a new battery online, i took off the terminals and proceeded to lift the old battery out of the front end. i am unable to do this as there is some sort of a clamp blocking it, now ford wont help they say i have to get it towed there, and AAA sent someone that said they will not help unless i had purchased the new battery from them (waited around for 2 hours for that reply haha), really crazy since all i need is to know how to get this damn clamp off, cant take more than 5 minutes.

anyone know what tool i need to get this clamp off? any help appreciated,

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
Wish I could help, but my car is 6 feet in the air now for the next few months. I would bet it isn't more than a 8 to 10mm socket with an extension that would be needed.

John

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The trunkliner tub has to be removed for acess; then 1 bolt is holding battery in place.

DO NOT lean on fender with palm, arm, elbow or hip, belt buckle etc.....it will dent.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
The trunkliner tub has to be removed for acess; then 1 bolt is holding battery in place.

DO NOT lean on fender with palm, arm, elbow or hip, belt buckle etc.....it will dent.

could we get specific as to what tool i need to order? i am in san francisco and i do not have any tools on me

thanks i feel like such a tool =/

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Stop by Sears and grab a tool catalog. You will need plenty of tools going forward.

This process takes a socket set with an 8mm socket.

Recommendation - tie a string around the top of the LONG bolt that holds the battery down so that you can retrieve it once you place the new battery back in.

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
one 8 mm 1/4 drive socket, one 6 inch 1/4 drive extension and one 1/4 drive racket will do the trick.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
5/16 socket will also work on 8mm hex head bolt. (5/16" = 7.94mm)

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
one 8 mm 1/4 drive socket, one 6 inch 1/4 drive extension and one 1/4 drive racket will do the trick.

so i am getting the ratchet

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NJ7U1A/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and the 8mm socket

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ODIOS2/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

would you mind linking the proper extension i should be getting? i picked up an 8mm deep socket T the other day and it didnt work at all, wasnt deep enough to slide down to reach the bolt.

really cant believe that changing this battery has taken this long haha :)

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Changed the battery last week, and I just used a regular socket on the top of the bolt and it worked fine (not a deep socket). Did drop the damn bolt of course and had to go fish it out with one of the extension grapples. Changing the battery took about 5 minutes.

AZChris

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2006
Changed the battery last week, and I just used a regular socket on the top of the bolt and it worked fine (not a deep socket). Did drop the damn bolt of course and had to go fish it out with one of the extension grapples. Changing the battery took about 5 minutes.

ya it should only take 5 mins but i just cant get that damn bolt out of there,

on a side note you have AVN Awards listed, do you attend the shows in Vegas or am I missing something here?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Sears (and I am sure all premium tool suppliers) sells an extension with what I will call a "semi swivel" end on the male end(10-15 degrees maybe?). Combine this with a standard depth socket and it will give you great flexibility on socket fitment without being all sloppy like the old fashioned swivel adapters. If you want more rigidity, just engage the extension fully into the socket and it acts as a standard extension.

They are only a few bucks at Sears.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
ya it should only take 5 mins but i just cant get that damn bolt out of there,

on a side note you have AVN Awards listed, do you attend the shows in Vegas or am I missing something here?

My wife wanted to go for a couple years for fun, so we did it. Very interesting...