Headlight problem

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
My dealer did not properly reattach the front splitter after a $700 coolant change. The splitter vibrated and eventually caused cracks to form in both headlights. I have heard rumors of a new supplier coming online, but haven't heard anything else. Any ideas?

And of course the dealer is denying any wrongdoing. No more dealer repairs, ever.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
$700 coolant change!

That sounds high

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Wow, $700 coolant change. Does that coolant have and 24 karat gold additives in it?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Wow, $700 coolant change. Does that coolant have and 24 karat gold additives in it?

Lief Johnson Ford, Austin, TX. Also blew out side marker light when it happened. They didn't offer to replace the side marker or offer a refund on the lame service.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
$240 per Ford Labor Manual (incl. coolant fluid)

Read the work order carefully...unless an intercooler was changed or too many Quarts used

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Would take to another dealer on "good service" dealer list Owners Section...hate to hear hose blows off or wrong clamp is used and you lose all that coolant or flatbed

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The splitter vibrated and eventually caused cracks to form in both headlights.

Also blew out side marker light when it happened.

Educate my ignorant self, 'bullitt. (1) Do you have any idea how it's possible to blow out a side marker light while doing any fluid change (?) :eek, and, (2) How does a vibrating splitter cause headlight lenses to crack??? :confused

I'M NOT SAYING EITHER ONE DIDN'T HAPPEN/COULDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!! I'm saying, "I don't get it" (as usual :facepalm:). Or, as Spirit would say, it's way above my pay grade.

(Where the devil has HE [Spirit] been hiding, BTW?)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Bullitt, the new suppliers have been supplying for a while now. Problem is, cost is about $3000 for each light. X2 Collision in Maryville, IL (X2 Scott on e-bay) has some, but you need to talk to Torrie. Some are made in Korea, some in the Netherlands (at least according to the boxes).

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Are there abrasion marks on the headlights from contact with the fascia? The headlights are bolted to the frame so it seems like it would take contact and not just vibration from the splitter to cause cracking.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Are there abrasion marks on the headlights from contact with the fascia? The headlights are bolted to the frame so it seems like it would take contact and not just vibration from the splitter to cause cracking.

I agree. story sounds fishy. If if the splitter bolts were loose that type of plastic material is not going to vibrate and cause any type of resonace or frequency vibration to crack the headlights. Some headlights have crazed /cracked on there own

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Either way if the cause is related to the service then the garage is responsible for fixing the issue. I would presume they are insured especially if they are charging you so much for service.
If they are charging you premium pricing they should provide premium service :wink

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Remove all rear bolts from your front splitter, the run the car up to speed, the front end will shake violently, the shock waves inside the nose will push out the side marker light with so much pressure it breaks, the dealer denied the claim because they looked up on this forum that some headlights were defective and developed cracks on their own. Both of my headlights have developed cracks. I told Spirit about it when it happened and he has seen the cracks. I also called the Ford GT hotline and they have offered some compensation, but I don't think it is Ford's fault and it certainly isnt my fault even though I have flushed tens of hours on this so far without any offer from the dealer whatsoever.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS??? :willy Man.. that's a set of rears.... or an accufab throttle body.... or a new horn button.... three front diffusers.... or five coolant changes from an honest tech.:bs

I guess it's true what they say about Texas.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Remove all rear bolts from your front splitter, the run the car up to speed, the front end will shake violently, the shock waves inside the nose will push out the side marker light with so much pressure it breaks...Both of my headlights have developed cracks...

'Makes some sense to me now. :wink :cheers

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Any other body damage?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
none that i know of

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Maybe an attorney sending an aggressive letter would wake them up?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
sounds like a plan. They were the premiere dealer for GT service in the area. I'll take it to a reputable shop like Walmart or Jiffy Lube next time, someone that knows how to work on a GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
...don't forget Sears.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
They tried to set one of my cars on fire by installing the improper battery and shorted to my hood after removing the insulating cap off the positive pole, yes pockets I need to add them to the list, they immediately offered to pay for any damage, no question.