Headlamp Rattle

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the service replacement headlamp assemblies seem to come with an optional rattle noise even when closing the doors, anyone found a fix for this? my one car doesn't do it but the other one does and I've heard only on the replacement headlamps do you get the rattle. I've taken off al the external components and it's still there. seems to be something inside the headlamp housing. thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
If you've disconnected everything attached to the assembly then you obviously have it exposed. Did you take the headlight out and give it a shake test? This sounds like it was probably dropped rather than a design/mfg problem.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
If you've disconnected everything attached to the assembly then you obviously have it exposed. Did you take the headlight out and give it a shake test? This sounds like it was probably dropped rather than a design/mfg problit

If you've disconnected everything attached to the assembly then you obviously have it exposed. Did you take the headlight out and give it a shake test? This sounds like it was probably dropped rather than a design/mfg problem.
everything is removed that can be removed but yet there is a ratlle down inside the capsule itself. it doesn't take much of a bump to get it to rattle. I have a few replacement units and a lot of them rattle. nothing to do with being dropped. mine rattle on my one GT everytime a shut the door. madning!!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
It is getting to be winter in Michigan. Perhaps a timber rattled has crawled into your car. Banging the car is like poking a stick.

Just kidding Scott. I don't have any rattles, either in the car or my NOS. Did you extract the turn signal bulb and test again? One of my original NOS had a very bad amber turn signal bulb.

Tomcat

GT Owner
I hope GTGuy (Rich) chimes in here BUT I recall someone (I 'm pretty sure it was him) that said the last new build of headlights had a component that rattled and that it was remedied by a small sheetmetal screw installed into the correct location.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
What do you think happens when you smack it to get the light working? lol

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Do a search of mine. I think Iposted some pics of the headlight apart showing the hi beam lens and electromagnet that opoerates it. Springs etc attached, Which my be the source of the rattle.