Headlamp Bulb Failure Survey

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Given that headlamp assemblies reportedly have a list price of ~$3800 each, and given that headlamp bulbs allegedly cannot (the entire unit must be replaced), please post to this thread if you have experienced a headlamp bulb failure and indicate how the problem was resolved.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Bulbs can't be replaced? Wow, that sucks big time. I'll just drive my Viper or my Z at night instead. :(

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
My left light was replaced under warranty for fogging. Took the dealership 3 tries becasue all the replacements came with flaws. Bulb was fine, but on the last one, the turn-signal bulb was bad.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have bought and sold over 400 Ford GTs. Never had a single bad headlight yet. Replaced a couple turn signal bulbs and a couple reverse light bulbs. Cost less than $10 bucks

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I have bought and sold over 400 Ford GTs. Never had a single bad headlight yet. Replaced a couple turn signal bulbs and a couple reverse light bulbs. Cost less than $10 bucks
Relevant data! Thanks.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
You never have any with enough mileage /usage to see an HID go bad. Is it true that you can't replace the HID bulb inside them?

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
Funny that you can find a cheap replacement bulb for the GT all over the web, like here for instance -

http://www.hidlighthouse.com/ford/ford-gt/

I know it's not the actual Ford GT bulb, but it seems that you can install in HID bulb. Now, I know that the OE bulbs in cars are supported by a rear-fired ballast/ignitor usually located directly behind and connected directly to the bulb itself, unlike aftermarket applications...but it makes me think that the bulb is accessible and can be changed without changing the entire headlamp assbly. Just sayin'