Has anyone had this happen?

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Was driving down the interstate this weekend. Sunday afternoon, good weather. Middle lane – flowing with traffic. A Mercedes SUV passes me from right lane – pulls in front of me, and slams on the brakes. Needless to say a FGT will stop faster than a SUV, but it was startling – and shook up my wife a bit. I have theories of 2 possibilities.

1. As ambulance drivers have told me, they never follow cars too close. Some drivers when startled (seeing an ambulance) stand on the brakes. In this case, maybe some kid in the SUV yell’s “MOM – LOOK AT THAT CAR!!” – she is startled and slams on the brakes.
2. Someone looking to collect some insurance to get out of their expensive SUV. The assumption is that someone driving a fancy car has good insurance

I’ve never seen this in 40 years of driving – more of a curiousity.. Anyone seen this? This is Minnesota, and usually all things driving related are pretty tame.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Had not happen to me. Glad you made it out OK!!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Glad you weren't hurt. Too many distracted crappy drivers out there.
List of possibilities is long. Usually happens to me when I'm driving a vintage car with terrible brakes...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Had it happen several times...or something similar

-high speed cutoff into my lane without blinkers

-guy pulls in front, slows down and uses windshield washers on sunny day; especially if in classic convertible behind him

-rushing or crowding you in parking lots within inches of bumper

-parking next you in empty lot

success brings hate; I just don't drive GT on major holidays for that reason ...

Peoples lives, careers, cars, wives, kids just didn't turn out as well and they get bitter.

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
I have had several instances of idiots trying to get a look at the car and endangering my life and others in doing so. I have missed my freeway exit several times because i was boxed in by gawkers and couldn't change lanes to exit. I guess it comes with the turf but it can be annoying.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Fortunately, I've only had this happen a few times. Although come to think of it, I have noticed it more frequently when I drive like an asshole. Odd.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Old girl friend?

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Yes have had this too. Usually picture takers. Scary.

I normally drive right lane on interstates and multiple lane roads. Safety factor for me because the shoulders are normally twice as big as those for the left lane.

This has saved me from being run into many, many times.

Button

Jul 11, 2009
Iowa
As a Minnesota driver as well, I can attest that the land of 10,000 lakes only has about 10,000 decent drivers. This is especially true in the Twin Cities region.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Twice I've had other cars/drivers run into other cars while ogling/taking pix of the GT. Once, not long after I acquired the car, kids driving in another parking lane at a mall bookstore, ran into the car in front of them while (literally) hanging out the car window waving and honking at the "mister, what is that car?" GT. In another instance, a car in the lane next to me, during slow/creeping traffic, bumped the car in front of him while staring at my car.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
They always take pics exactly in the "blind spot."
And then hang out there just long enough to be a huge nuisance.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Was in the center lane of a 6-lane freeway...'car came up on my left...driver leaned waaaaaaay over his passenger seat with a camera in hand...'snapped a photo...'hit the gas and pulled in front of me...'took an over-the-shoulder shot of my car out the driver's window...and so on until he'd made a '360' sweap around me. He darned near hit the GT 3 times 'drift-steering' while he did so.

Some people are just I-D-I-O-T-S. :mad

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
They always take pics exactly in the "blind spot."
And then hang out there just long enough to be a huge nuisance.

That's why I aways hit the gas B4 I signaled for a lane change and THEN changed lanes. By the time the yo-yo perched off my LR fender knew what was what, I was already 3-4 car lengths ahead of him making it impossible for him to do something stooopid...

Joe Dozzo

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2006
Canon City, CO
Had this happen in Grand Canyon on the way home from the Newport Rally. Guy pulled around me then stopped dead in his tracks and driver hopped out to take pictures. Very fortunately for all, low speed limits in the park. He was none too happy when I pulled back around and hurried off before he could snap too many pictures.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Driving a FGT is like dating a super model, everybody else is jealous and wants a piece of the action :rofl

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Driving a FGT is like dating a super model, everybody else is jealous and wants a piece of the action :rofl

'No truer words...

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Happened to me this weekend coming back from a show.
Jerk in a clapped out Toyota pulls directly next to me and the driver starts snapping pics with his cell while weaving in and out of the lane and ever closer to my car.
Needless to say, I didn't stay there very long!
Mark

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
....and they often yell "what kind of car is that?"

Read the door dude.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

Read the door dude.

My favorite is at the gas station being told my FGT was pretty good, for a kit car...

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston

Read the door dude.

My neighbor asked me "why does it say Ford on the side of the car?" ....Stranger than fiction!