GTD in Melbourne with Mr. Ford

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
Got to see the new GTD at Ford event in Melbourne. Even better, got to walk through the collection with Edsel Ford in small group. Amazing place and very nice meeting someone who is famous and such a genuine car guy. I lost count but I believe they have 15 nfgt and 8 Ford GTs plus 2-3 gt40s. More Shelby cars than you can count. Wonderful place!

Attachments

• IMG_0216.jpeg
    IMG_0216.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
Reactions: Johntpr and JWZ

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
IMG_0190.jpegIMG_0205.jpegIMG_0195.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
IMG_0186.jpeg

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
I was working so did not drive a fun car, but I did drive the lightning. They even had charge station there for Fords. You are a braver man than me. I-95 is a miserable drive so driving a GT down there is impressive. I also like the fact that you dropped in on a corvette event. Nice!

Reactions: steved57 and extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I was working so did not drive a fun car, but I did drive the lightning. They even had charge station there for Fords. You are a braver man than me. I-95 is a miserable drive so driving a GT down there is impressive. I also like the fact that you dropped in on a corvette event. Nice!
Curious what the event was that you were able to attend? He says it's not open for daily public visits, only special events / charities, and he commented on his recent '06 GT BaT listing, "Next event for the AMCM to be open to the Public is Sunday – February 4, 2024 from 10 AM to 2 PM for the British & European car show." Maybe you received a special invite? I'm dying to see the GTD in person! Hopefully / presumably it will be at the Rolex this weekend 🤞

Anyway, there was def lots of traffic Saturday on I-75, the Turnpike and I-95, but it worked out fine, and really only ~15 gawkers; my wife was keeping rough count 😆 ... all of which stayed their course and didn't affect us. Maybe the attention Ford v Ferrari brought is cooling off.

Oh, on the way home, heading N on 75, about 30 miles from home, riding along at 80 in the fast lane with plenty of other cars, all of the sudden the car in front of us slams on brakes and yanks right, which reveals the car in front of him was doing the same, which revealed ... right in the middle of the lane is some damn big storage looking box container, 5'x5'x5'!! :eek::mad: I hit the brakes but couldn't go right due to cars beside us so had to go left onto the emergency shoulder which thankfully is paved and pretty clean. Phew.

Reactions: steved57

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
The event was the award to Alan Mann racing from Edsel Ford and Ford. I got the invite from Ford Special vehicle registry for my GT500. Oddly enough, none of my GTs are recognized as "supported vehicles" on the registry. The invite was simply an email to bring your mustang out for the event. There was big orange truck from Reliable there so I am sure the GTD and the GT3 car were headed to Daytona. As you know it is the next county up. Only about and hour and 15" north.
With the construction on the Turnpike north of Orlando that is an even worse drive. As you know many drivers are unaware that you drive right and pass left. The left lane is almost always occupied by some mugwats blocking traffic flow.

Reactions: extrap

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
With the construction on the Turnpike north of Orlando that is an even worse drive. As you know many drivers are unaware that you drive right and pass left. The left lane is almost always occupied by some mugwats blocking traffic flow.

I don't know of any metro area where freeway lanes are held as travel/pass. There's always enough traffic that it's just another lane.

Las Vegas did away with their "diamond lanes" a couple of months ago. They were sort of nice if you had two or more and were going through, but the idea that they held 1/3 of the lanes with virtually no traffic hostage while the other 4 lanes were sometimes at a stop was ridiculous and the traffic planners figured it out.

Kpgarage

GT Owner
Mar 17, 2019
I don't know of any metro area where freeway lanes are held as travel/pass. There's always enough traffic that it's just another lane.

Las Vegas did away with their "diamond lanes" a couple of months ago. They were sort of nice if you had two or more and were going through, but the idea that they held 1/3 of the lanes with virtually no traffic hostage while the other 4 lanes were sometimes at a stop was ridiculous and the traffic planners figured it out.
The area I am referring to is not in Orlando proper but 25-30 miles north of city outskirts. In Florida it is against the law to sit in left lane when others are trying to pass. It is rarely followed and very hard to enforce

Last edited:

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Same here in Texas especially on I-20 people sit in left lane oblivious

Saw this while on moto trip in Colorado

Attachments

• 20230627_.JPG
    20230627_.JPG