GT40 EV

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I guess it had to happen eventually. But it appears an electric GT40 will be substantially quicker than the gas version.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Lets see how it does in a 24 hour race.

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
In addition, its hard to overcome physics. The batteries are heavy. So, probably fast in a straight line, but when you try to turn or stop…

Reactions: dshears and GTinTN

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
They'll get better and better. But I still don't want one. Where's the rumble?

Reactions: dshears

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In addition, its hard to overcome physics. The batteries are heavy. So, probably fast in a straight line, but when you try to turn or stop…
Since electric motors have instantaneous torque, the ability to create a top performing drag racer has been known for a long time. You don't even have to be in an exotic to observe that. My friend's Tesla was an ample demonstration.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
They'll get better and better. But I still don't want one. Where's the rumble?

We're looking at an 800-ish mile drive from Vegas to Colorado. We do it in one day. An EV would take 3. I'm interested in an EV for city driving, and I think the electric F150 is brilliant for contractors that work close to the job site but for long distances there is not a solution yet. There will no doubt be some day.

The rumble comes from speakers. You can get whatever sound you want. Amerian V8 or Ferrari V12.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
We're looking at an 800-ish mile drive from Vegas to Colorado. We do it in one day. An EV would take 3. I'm interested in an EV for city driving, and I think the electric F150 is brilliant for contractors that work close to the job site but for long distances there is not a solution yet. There will no doubt be some day.

There has been for a while now: My coworker has a Chevy Volt, a "plug-in hybrid". Only has a range of about 40 miles on battery but when the battery dies the ICE takes over and it operates like a regular ICE vehicle. He said he can't even detect when the battery dies and the ICE takes over.

The rumble comes from speakers. You can get whatever sound you want. Amerian V8 or Ferrari V12.

Oh lord no! Piped-in engine noise! 🤨

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I am guessing that the nearest term solution will be driving into a fuel station and dropping the battery pack out and getting a new one. Sort of like a propane tank exchange concept. It will be like when you swap batteries on your cordless tool. The station recharges the batteries and gives to next customer. But I am no expert and love to drive long distances (quickly) so not in line for an EV anytime soon.

Reactions: PeteK and 2112

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh lord no! Piped-in engine noise! 🤨
I recall one EV that outside sounds so the vehicle could be heard after pedestrians in parking lots were terrorized by silent EVs... I don't recall the source of that old wive's tale or when it was supposed to have happened but it was a while ago "early days"

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am guessing that the nearest term solution will be driving into a fuel station and dropping the battery pack out and getting a new one. Sort of like a propane tank exchange concept. It will be like when you swap batteries on your cordless tool. The station recharges the batteries and gives to next customer. But I am no expert and love to drive long distances (quickly) so not in line for an EV anytime soon.
I thought this concept was already proposed or tried...

Doesn't matter. A modern farm tractor that can pull a 20 head planter ain't gonna ever run more than a few minutes on no matter how many batteries you throw at it.

Reactions: Empty Pockets

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
And a semi-truck pulling a loaded trailer ain’t gonna go very far on batteries either. Nor a pickup truck pulling a large trailer. ICE will be around for a long time.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
And a semi-truck pulling a loaded trailer ain’t gonna go very far on batteries either. Nor a pickup truck pulling a large trailer. ICE will be around for a long time.
Right now, diesel trucks haul the batteries to make the EV's. lol

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
All good, but, there is no replacement for noise!
Just my opinion!
Best,
Mark

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Can't wait to drive by road rage at ( not enough ) charging stations.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Right now, diesel trucks haul the batteries to make the EV's. lol
Maybe they should stop doing that. Haha!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
😏

Attachments

• 06F62316-E0C3-4D3C-A88D-97C1278652C9.jpeg
    06F62316-E0C3-4D3C-A88D-97C1278652C9.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 16

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
The world is certainly not prepared yet for electric cars

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've been saying for a decade that all EVs do ismove the point of co2 production from the tailpipe to a power plant in Wyoming.

Evs will be like everyone flushing their toilet in the dorm at the same time. The power grid at the local level can't supple enough powerfor everyone to charge at the same time. The local and neighborhood pipes simply aren't big enough. But infrastructure isn't a concern to those in power

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
so we can imagine on a very hot summer day, all of the home AC units blasting, everyone returning home and plugging in their electric car at virtually the same time and the power grid shutting down in the whole time zone blowing every transformer

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
so we can imagine on a very hot summer day, all of the home AC units blasting, everyone returning home and plugging in their electric car at virtually the same time and the power grid shutting down in the whole time zone blowing every transformer
Yep, that's pretty much it. But that's why California invented rolling blackouts.