GT possesion yesterday

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
I picked up my GT yesterday and trailered it home, upon arrival I noticed the dust and particles all over the body. The local detail guy wants me to use his "dri-wash" I am a little skeptical, as he has never worked on an exotic before. Honestly I don't know where to start with the dust, should I rinse it off or use some type of duster? Any help would be appreciated!
One more question, I noticed some swirls in the paint that look like very faint scratches, the dealer indicated it would be the factory polish, will these come out?
Thanks
MTDGT

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Rinse it off - don't dry wash paint. Use a clean chamois leather to dry it off.

Moving dust on the paintwork will cause swirl marks.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
MTDGT....BE VERY careful...spray down first with water and then take a look see at the dust...if all is ok, maybe have someone you trust do a clay waxing to remove the swirl marks and then a full detail with Mother's wax or Maguirie's...either way go slow..l.what color BTW?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Neil and LeMansz are correct. Just rinse it off with a generous amount of water. Don't use high pressure settings. Let the water "sheet" off the car and it will dislodge and carry most of the dust with it.

Afterwards, I would wash with a quality car wash formulation. DO NOT use dishwashing liquid. It's high alkaline content will cut right through wax, although it won't hurt the paint.

Eric

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
eric, you're my hero...no macintosh

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The swirls can be cerated at the factory or in shipping by dust under the cover moving around. This is a very typical problem with Ford in shipping the GT.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There were some TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) about ferric particles being present on the paint finish. If you intend to re-wax right away, rinse it very well in the shade with cold water and then wash with Dawn or other dishwashing alkaline soapy water. Most places I've read recommend drying with a synthetic chamois since leather removes the wax. Go over the entire car with a clay bar (make sure you follow directions and keep it wet), then start waxing. You can take out any swirls before you add on the wax. Many people on this forum with very expensive cars swear by Zaino and Lusso Oro exotic waxing compounds. I'm trying the Zaino now and have been very impressed. Go the Zaino and Lusso websites for hints. Mothers and Meguire's also have similar stuff. Check their websites also.

sandiegored

GT Owner
Apr 2, 2006
Zaino is excellent. The first thing I did was wash the car using a small amount of liquid dawn. This strips off the layer(s) of wax buildup. Do not use the dawn for regular washings! Then use the clay bar. After using the clay bar (definitely mist the area with mixture of water and Zaino car wash concentrate when applying), wash the car again. Then apply the Zaino polish.

The finish looks much better now compared to when I picked the car up from the dealer.

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Input on cleaning GT

Thank you for the input, I have owned a number of vehicles including Vettes, Panteras, and some very exotic sleds. Never have I been so carefull as to what I use clean a vehicle. The input provided is greatly appreciated!
The water here in the mountains is very hard, will this be a problem?
Secondly I put approx. 250 miles on the car today and noticed a black dotted film on the white GT stripes over the rocker panels. Must have come from the brakes and perhaps the lubricants used on the initial assembly. Before I jump in and use "Simple Green" or what ever to clean the grease and grundge off what does everyone recomend?
How about the alluminium rims, seem to have a film on them as well?
What about the floor matts and seats?
Thanks again!!
MTDGT

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
LEMANSZ said:
MTDGT....BE VERY careful...spray down first with water and then take a look see at the dust...if all is ok, maybe have someone you trust do a clay waxing to remove the swirl marks and then a full detail with Mother's wax or Maguirie's...either way go slow..l.what color BTW?
Thanks for your help, my car is Red with white stripes.
MTDGT

MTDGT

GT Owner
Apr 6, 2006
Two more questions

I noticed the wipers don't hideaway, they sit a little high, are they supposed too? Can they be adjusted?
The drivers door has a small leak albeit annoying, any quick fixes, my dealer is 300 miles away.
Thanks
MTDGT

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
sandiegored said:
Zaino is excellent. The first thing I did was wash the car using a small amount of liquid dawn. This strips off the layer(s) of wax buildup. Do not use the dawn for regular washings! Then use the clay bar. After using the clay bar (definitely mist the area with mixture of water and Zaino car wash concentrate when applying), wash the car again. Then apply the Zaino polish.

The finish looks much better now compared to when I picked the car up from the dealer.
This is the way to go!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
MTDGT,

My car gets those little black flecks too after driving. I believe it is a combination of brake dust, tire shine that flings off and plain old road grime.

Don't worry, on my car the flecks come off with a simple car washing. Of course I have two coats of Zaino on my car and it acts a buffer to help keep all kinds of contaminants from the paint and it makes the car easier to clean.

Eric

Last edited: