GT performance Parts

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
While on the Ford GT development team. I made a mental list of aftermarket parts. That I felt may be of value to GT owners. My thought was that there would be a day when I was no longer employed at the best job in the world. And there may be a need for performance parts. Ford Racing has started marketing some hardware (All of it of good quality).

Well the time has come. I am no longer under contract at Ford. And reading your owners forum I see the need is real.

I have a design for a gearbox breather kit. That I feel would be an attractive and functional solution for the oil-weeping problem. Before I start assembling kits. Please let me know the interest level. aszilagyi@comcast.net

Then there is real hard-core stuff. Like racing shocks. Triple damping adjustable. Ride height adjustable. And owner re-valvable.

Or the basic ride height adjuster. That will be available soon.

ALEX

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Alex,

My interest level on your vent solution is very high and I don't even have my car yet. I was just planning to install the cooler and solve the problem that way even though I don't plan to track my car. And I'm also interested in the height adjustment shock kit, not the full bore MacDaddy version, but something that would perhaps lower the car a bit or at least the front end a tad. Thanks much for your post.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Alex, yup me too for the Vent. I am having the transaxle cooler installed, however I'd still upgrade that vent - will it sit alongside the 'new' hoses for the cooler OK?

Lgaruti

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Seminole, Fl
Alex,
I'd be interested in one.

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
Trans oil level?

Question:

Those that have installed a trans cooler can help us here. :rofl
Having not seen the install instructions that are supplied.
Do the instructions call for adding more oil to the gearbox?
To account for the added capacity of the cooler and line set.
Or just continue to use the fill / level plug as the proper amount of oil?

You can see where I am going.
There is no anti-drain back system in the cooler.
So when you check the oil level Static (engine off).
Gravity will allow most of the oil in the cooler will drain back to the box.

So what is the actual oil level in the box when driving?
With and without a cooler.
So if adding a cooler. Cures the weeping at the vent.
Is it because the oil level in the trans is slightly lower?
Or because there is an over temp issues?
My opinion is the slightly lower operating level is not a bad thing.
To be sure some testing would be required in a controlled way.
Using a data logger sampling System temps. A cooler installed along with a cooler bypass circuit.

I can say that all the Ford GT test, durability and marketing cars. That had coolers installed were only filled to the fill plug line.
And we ran them harder than you ever would.

Owners that have coolers Please let us know. What the install instruction say about oil level?

P.S.
When questioned about this topic by Ford Racing / Catalog Guys.
My opinion was not to Add Extra Oil. But I do not know the final decision.

Also Just an FYI. I have seen track test data without a cooler installed. (After running 4 hours on a demanding racing circuit) (Low air speed / High RPM / operating in lower gears). Reach just over 300 deg.F

We stopped the test just long enough to install a cooler. Then proceed to finish the 24 hr. on track. Durability test. With no gearbox problems at all ever!

Food for thought.

AMER SPD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
MR2Race,

First, thanks for all your technical info. Its appreciated by all.

I can only speak from my experience. Before installing the cooler I had minor weeping from the vent which I had to keep clean.

The cooler instructions state to start the engine after installing it, then check the fluid level and add fluid. Since I wasn’t in a hurry, it was probably a minute or two by the time I selected the correct size wrench to remove the plug, gather the oil and pump. I thought there was an anti drainback valve since I was told it should take about a half a liter and it took almost a full Qt of fluid.
I never did measure the fluid capacity prior to install, but in my estimation looking at the hoses and cooler, 1 qt appears correct.