Gt Needs More Horsepower

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Who thinks the GT should have come from the factory with more power? I personally do, alot more. I should be buying my GT in the next couple months preferably a 06. I also have a deposit down on a 06 Z06 Corvette. I think the problem is you can buy a $70K Corvette that will run very close to the GT. I love the looks of the GT and that is the reason I will purchase mine. I know the forum members here probably agree from a cosmetic standpoint. I think another 100 HP from the factory would have done the job and sent the GT into the Sub 11's to finish off the Vette. Its my understanding that Whipple will come with a SC Upgrade to give the GT 200 more HP, I think that is great but I would like to have seen it from the factory. Maybe I shouldn't be comparing the Z06 to the GT but the comparison is often made in the car magazines.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Seems to me you're trying to validate the purchase of a Ford GT? Perhaps I'm wrong...

In overall response to you, I think the real points are things like: How much more can/will Ford (or other manufacturers for that matter) get out of production cars while keeping a warranty? How fast do you need to go?

The Ford GT also compared very closely in a magazine with the Carerra GT and Enzo. 1/3 and 1/4 the MSRP repectively. I doubt CGT and Enzo onwers care...

Horsepower and magazines sell cars. This C6Z vs. Ford GT thing is beating a dead horse and just selling copies. You know what you want. If said car doesn't come standard how you like, look into the aftermarket before buying. In comparison to the C6Z, IMO the Ford GT has far more power potential beyond factory specs than a C6Z.

Anyways, good luck with both cars.

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
50 BMG said:
Seems to me you're trying to validate the purchase of a Ford GT? Perhaps I'm wrong...

In overall response to you, I think the real points are things like: How much more can/will Ford (or other manufacturers for that matter) get out of production cars while keeping a warranty? How fast do you need to go?

The Ford GT also compared very closely in a magazine with the Carerra GT and Enzo. 1/3 and 1/4 the MSRP repectively. I doubt CGT and Enzo onwers care...

Horsepower and magazines sell cars. This C6Z vs. Ford GT thing is beating a dead horse and just selling copies. You know what you want. If said car doesn't come standard how you like, look into the aftermarket before buying. In comparison to the C6Z, IMO the Ford GT has far more power potential beyond factory specs than a C6Z.

Anyways, good luck with both cars.

Since the Ford GT has alot more room for upgrading performance rise than the C6 Z06's 7l.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
Most of the forum members appear to have experience with racing cars in one way or another, including myself. The performance difference of 4 tenths of sec in 0-60 faster, 2 tenths of sec in qtr and 2 mph faster, 1.2 mph higher slalom mph, and a full half a sec faster overall lap times are significant differences.

Performance (Recent Test)
---------------------------Corvette Z06------Viper SRT10------Ford GT
Zero-to-60-mph--------------4.41--------------4.93----------4.0
Quarter-mile acceleration,-----12.0--------------12.6----------11.8
Quarter-mile speed, mph.------123.9------------117.4---------125.9
600-ft slalom, mph-------------68.3-------------67.6----------69.5
Max G's on a 200-ft Skidpad----0.92-------------0.95-------------0.92
Lap Time Willow Springs-------1.33.04---------1.33.30------1.32.45
Max Speed on Raceway,--------141.0-----------139.1-----------140.9

As 50 BMG states the Carerra GT and Enzo perform better than the GT by the same type of relative performance differences that exist between the Z06 and the GT! Please remember that at the very high performance levels that these cars operate differences are measured in 10ths of a second. They all perform great.

FGT4me

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
Also know that the GT has greater than 100 HP more than the ZO6 (Dyno results suggest 615 to 630 at the crank).

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I made a 300 mile round trip in my GT (to my parents for X-mas Day). Took the back roads with the Valentine One on board. It was absolutely the most fun I have had on the open road. The car was as stable at 120 as it was at 70 mph. I doubt I would want to go any faster on the road as things come up on you very quickly. I see no need for any more horsepower, unless you plan to drag race or track the car. Even then, on most road courses you would never reach terminal speeds on the straights. There are plenty of aftermarket mods out there, although some modifications may affect the daily "streetability" of the car. My skill level is such that I doubt I will ever get near the limits of this car, and I'm very happy with 550 ponies.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I agree, I would have like'd to see Ford add the 100 to 200 more HP than the Z06 and F430, but they didn't. Now I will let Dustin Whipple do his magic.

The Z06 is a great car, I am on a waiting list and will get one. But it has little in common with the GT.

I think a stock GT with an expert Ford GT driver will beat on every course an expert Vetter or Ferrari driver in a Z06 or F430. But who really cares, just the trolls over at the SVT forum :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Given that the GT has no traction or stability control (which is a good thing) my view is that it has enough power and torque - it's a good balance for a road car. Most of us who have owned other powerful cars seem to agree.

I'm typing this in my study at home and outside the snow is coming down thick and fast..... no more GT for a while!

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
More power for the GT

I also think that the GT cries out for much more power, and comparisons with the Z06 are inevitable.

Dustin Whipple's 3.3 supercharger kit probably won't be available for a long time. A few other companies are claiming to offer twin supercharger kits, but It will probably be 6 months before anybody has a developed product that will add substantial horsepower. Sean Hyland is working on a kit to replace the existing Eaton (Lysholm) supercharger with a Kenne Bell unit. I spoke with Manley (the company that makes the rods) and they said that the rods and pistons should be able to take up to 1000hp at 7500rpm.

For now, the easily obtainable hp increases come from a smaller pulley, exhaust modifications, and computer reprograming. If all three of these items were changed the car would develop approx 650 hp at the wheels.

One of the great features of the Gt is that it has a good old American modular V8 that has had many aftermarket items available since 1996 and is very easily modified.

I hope that other Gt owners like myself will have fun looking for other ways to improve this already fantastic car.

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC
IF you are seriously considering NOT buying a GT because of the great performance of the ZO6, and reason that the relatively low price of the ZO6 is so attractive, and since the GT doesn't exactly stomp the crap out of a ZO6, etc, etc, then you are in a state of rationalization.

More likely, your left brain is telling you this- I really want a sexy, sensuous Ford GT.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
GT needs...

IMHO, the Ford GT is as good as it gets for a US manufactured 36 month factory warranted car in 2005 or 2006. If it had an additional 100-200 HP, it would be a very dangerous street car in the hands of most GT owners. The Z06 is a work in progress that will likely have a supercharger pumping out 600+ HP in 2007 or 2008, and generate better performance numbers than the GT, but it will never be a GT, nor will it ever diminish what the GT is, was, and always will be in automotive history.

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Kirby Vieira said:
IMHO, the Ford GT is as good as it gets for a US manufactured 36 month factory warranted car in 2005 or 2006. If it had an additional 100-200 HP, it would be a very dangerous street car in the hands of most GT owners. The Z06 is a work in progress that will likely have a supercharger pumping out 600+ HP in 2007 or 2008, and generate better performance numbers than the GT, but it will never be a GT, nor will it ever diminish what the GT is, was, and always will be in automotive history.

enough said.