GT mods and options

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Does anyone know if the headlights in this photo are an available option?

Looks like the side windows are one-piece but probably not moveable. Anyone know about this?

Two fuel tank option? Is this an available possibility?

Thanks a lot,
gimbal

Attachments

• FordGT004.jpg
    FordGT004.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 338

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Note the different head lights and fog lights... recessed side air scoops. This may be a clay model.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Does anyone know if the headlights in this photo are an available option? Not an option.

Looks like the side windows are one-piece but probably not moveable. Anyone know about this? Indeed the side windows are fixed.

Two fuel tank option? Is this an available possibility? Single tank - the driver's side cap is probably cosmetic.

Thanks a lot,
gimbal
x

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I'd love those wheel though.......sweet

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I think thats one of the early early concept cars that only rolls..you can't get inside it so to turn it you have to kick the front tires..and I think it has a plug somewhere that runs the lights.

I talked to Mike at the rally and they really wanted the duel tanks..they were going to make one the washer fluid fill...thought better of it though when they figured some nimrod would fill the washer with gasoline :)

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
I think yourall right, its clay or something. Too bad they did not go with the headlights, they look great!
I do like the wheels too, dangit.

The more I look the more differences I see....no windshield wiper, windshield flush, no bottom air deflector, very aerodynamic looking.

If anyone might know where I can get a set of the headlights or wheels please let me know.
Thanks

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
I think yourall right, its clay or something. Too bad they did not go with the headlights, they look great!
I do like the wheels too, dangit.

The more I look the more differences I see....no windshield wiper, windshield flush, no bottom air deflector, very aerodynamic looking.

If anyone might know where I can get a set of the headlights or wheels please let me know.
Thanks

the front grill has no struts and also no rear clamshell scoops......

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I just wish Goodyear offered the tires in white letters. Much more racey.

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Notice how deep the wheel hub sits in. I doubt those would work with the production cars.

MWG

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Northern California

Last edited:

Kip Ewing

CF Vendor
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 23, 2007
Suburban Detroit
Model

Hey all

This was an early fiberglass model with no interior. It got repainted a number of colors, so you see it in a lot of the early promo pics. There wasn't a great deal of feasibility in it, hence the wheel offsets, wipers, no feasible glass drop, aero devices, etc. The statement about using one of the fuel fill caps for another purpose was considered and dropped for the concern stated. At the end of the day, we just didn't want anything that was not authentic in it's functionality. BBS did do a very clever job of making the stylized knock-offs work in production on the base wheel. The base wheel was heavier than our target, but we did it anyway to deliver the show car vision. We then did the lightweight wheel as an option to meet our weight target. None of the lighting on this model was fully funtional, so you won't see these as an option. Also, you'll notice that it has none of the aero devices at all; front or side splitters, Gurney flap, nor diffuser. That all came after the program was kicked off. More difficult to spot is the fact that this model was about 12mm shorter than the production car and the door cut lines are different. Those two changes made it possible to provide an minimally acceptable level of head clearance in the car. Originally, the door section and wet area was positioned directly over the head form. There's quite a few other differences; fender openings, engine cover cut lines, etc. but these are the more significant ones.

I've never worked with an engineering team that was so commited to delivering a Designer's vision. That's the benefit of staffing a technical team with a bunch of zealots. We wanted this car to look this cool as badly as Camilo did, and moved heaven and earth to do so. Any time there was a discussion of what the design intent was, we were lock-step on the order of "just like the show car" even when physics demanded concessions for the performance targets or occupant package. There was an evolution, but those things just made it cooler, particularly the aero work. Kent Harrison lead the process of delivering amazing aero functionality without touching the a-surface. We trusted Camilo's vision and he trusted us to deliver it. No one wanted to make any concessions. The team just found a way to make it happen. It was a blast.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kip. thanks for the insight... appreciate the inside info. Now back to the CF workshop :)

Gimbal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 11, 2007
Queenstown, New Zealand
Very interesting Kip, thanks for the info.