GT at the Track

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
For those of you who have tracked the GT,a couple of questions.What is the best tire pressure[hot] for the stock tires? What tires have you tried other than the stock tires? Did you use stock pads,and if not,which ones would you recommend? Any problems with brake fade?
I have been fortunate in being able to track a number of cars,and I completely agree with the observations re.the limiting aspects of street tires.

callchuck

GT Owner
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I had my GT at Road Atlanta on Saturday. I wrote a thread under the GT Racing.

IwantaGT

Apr 5, 2006
Texas
My friend took his Ford GT to Texas World Speedway here in Texas. He "had" to drive the GT after his 2000 Cobra R blew an oil line.

I was able to drive it around for the parade laps both days and man I was in heaven!!

Here are a few pics...

26051.jpg

26057.jpg

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
This may be a bit of a hot thing to say - and those that know me here, know I have no agenda on this subject.... they'll also say that I'm not an expert - just an average driver. I think this may have been covered elsewhere, not sure.

I took mine for a blat yesterday and it's pretty much run in with about 750 on the clock. I took it up to about 160 'somethings' and I have to say it felt a little 'wallowy' - not unstable, but not as tight as I'd like at high speed. Gentle undulations made it a bit twitchy over 140.

For those with Ferraris or Lamborghinis (particularly) are you as comfortable with the GT at high speeds?

I would suspect that mine is exactly the same set up as everybody elses - maybe when Roush have mine in for the transaxle rad, the shocks could be changed? Equally you may say, Neil, that's as good as it gets with the GT - Ford know what they're doing, live with it.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
tiger 6 said:
For those of you who have tracked the GT,a couple of questions.What is the best tire pressure[hot] for the stock tires? What tires have you tried other than the stock tires? Did you use stock pads,and if not,which ones would you recommend? Any problems with brake fade?
I have been fortunate in being able to track a number of cars,and I completely agree with the observations re.the limiting aspects of street tires.

Start with 28 psi front and 30 psi rear COLD. As the tires heat up to the mid-thirties psi adjust for your own driving style. Check tire temps on the outer edges and center after a run. If not even adjust.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Neilda, is that KPH or MPH? Did you have your car cover, tire inflator and battery charger in the boot to help keep the nose down?

olibor

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
gt built for American le mans series.

we have begun work on two Le Mans Spec GTs.
you will begin to get updates as details emerge. we will need support if anyone is interested. we will give the corvettes a run for their money.
our Doran Ford Daytona Coupe qualified 4th at this years 24 hours of daytona
so you see we know how to go. We can build a 3rd and 4th car if you are interested they will cost about 500k each and now is the time to speak up.
until next time olibor

Pipelion

olibor,

Quote;.........."you see we know how to go"................. :cheers

I like that!,

Allan

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
fjpikul, MPH. Yes everything is in the nose....

It may be the case that there's a little realignment to be done along with the tyre pressure suggestions...

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Very little positive effect if you still have the stock muffler or any other unit that blocks the air flow. Tried it at Watkins Glen.

That's why Ida's exhaust system is of major interest.

Centerpunch's picture is sans muffler.

Dave

Last edited:

TrackDay

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hi Dave, I've run without the license plate and stock muffler and agree with you that their is no significant reduction on temps. With that said it has to help a little so why not remove the plate before going on the track.
As for air pressures, once again I agree with Dave. For daily driving I've had good results with 29 front and 30 rear (cold). The small one lb decrease in the front seems to help stick the front a little better.
At the track I've had good results with 26 front and 28 rear (cold).
Your driving style, aggressiveness and the overall temperature of any given day will affect this so check, pressures, tempera rues and the wear after driving on the track.
At the track watch your tires carefully; I've chunked out an entire set of OE tires after running the pressures too high. 26 front and 28 rear (cold) will help but keep in mind these are not race tires and the abuse will show up. I've been told that the chunking is an issue for these tires on the GT when pushed hard.
I’m not knocking the Goodyear F1 tire in any way. It's a heck of a good tire just that for the GT when pushed real hard on the track it's near its limit.
Enjoy and have fun.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
The chunking that TrackDay decribes is a very common problem if the tires are over inflated. Yes I have ruined a set in a similar manner. Also the test fleet very often comes back from the track with missing tread in the center.

Dave

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
In rechecking my notes use 26 psi front cold and 28 psi rear cold for tracking as a starting point.

Dave

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I took mine up to 180 on a calm morning on the Westpark Tollway in Houston....was very stable...as stable as a 360 I had....two days later , I was running east on the same tollway with a 20 mile an hour breeze from the south...I shut it down at 130. It was pretty squirlley...I think it was the wind direction effecting down force. ...I also drive it at MSRHouston.com and love it except the temp and limited rear grip.

kosupply

GT Owner/Board of Directors
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 27, 2006
Houston
I have warped the louvers on the top of the engine cover...have shown 240 temp several times. MSRHouston is 2 and 3rd gear track in this car....

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
kosupply said:
I have warped the louvers on the top of the engine cover...have shown 240 temp several times. MSRHouston is 2 and 3rd gear track in this car....

! saw 235 on my car at WGI 3rd and 4th gears (4th gear at 6,200 rpm on the back straight).
Thankfully, never warped the rear clam shell. Perhaps the difference is due to the higher speeds run at WGI

Dave