Great Experience with Cooltech and Kendall

GTMikey

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2008
Lake Tahoe
On Friday I dropped the GT off with Kendall and his son for a transaxle cooler, clutch, and Accufab exhaust. Kendall's son had the car apart in no time and Kendall took me for a spin and threw me the keys to his Boss 302 Laguna Seca with the track key, that was some serious fun!!! What a great shop, tools manufactured just for work on the GT, everything you need to do work right next to his house.

I took the train up 3 hours from SD and Kendall drove 30 mins each way to get me. Got the car back, everything they did was completely detailed on the paper, car runs and sounds great. I went with the OEM clutch given only a pulley and Tune and it feels like the day I got it with 280 miles on it.

I drove a 130 miles to get there and it was well worth it, thank you Kendall.
PS. I broke in the clutch when a 458 Italia pulled alongside about 2 miles from your house...:)

Last edited:

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
second that !

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

Cooltech has done a lot of work on my GT including a new clutch as well. The work has always been top notch and his shop is a great place to hang out. I highly recommend them.

Chip

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Thanks all! Mike, very happy that you are happy. I felt so bad when the train had problems today - as I'd like it to be an easy trek for you!! You have a beautiful car! I remember just a couple of years ago asking Ryan what we'd do when owners start asking us to do clutch jobs. Now, I think yours was our eighth and it seems like child play. The message to other owners is that the GT is infinitely serviceable. Don't worry about driving the heck out of it because we can always replace and/or upgrade the parts that wear!

There's been some new threads on the axle bolts repair and I can't stress enough that the TSB should be done simultaneously. Mike had his axle bolt upgrade done by a local competent mechanic - but someone without intimate GT knowledge. Here's a pic we snalled of the output flange without the bolts and washer. You can barely see the end of the splines. The TSB corrects the issue of transaxle fluid working its way down the splines and out the small gap that you can see on this end-view. The TSB is really simple. Spray brake cleaner onto a rag and clean this face as best you can. Then, apply bead of Permatex Ultra-Black around this perimeter between the splined shaft and the flange. We also put more Permatex on the back side of the washer (Accufab or Ford) before we put the new bolts in. Torque to spec. This will prevent transaxle fluid from leaking out through the couplers. The first evidence of this will be fluid on the top side of the heat shields just below the couplers.

TSB.jpg

Virtually every bolt in the Ford GT has a torque spec called out in the manual. Critical components will also have a torque pattern and a 2-step torque process. All of these specs should be followed. Here's the new OEM flywheel going on Mike's car - complete with Ryan's handwriting.

flywheel.jpg

It's not often we get two Heritages in the shop at the same time - especially two that are so perfect!

TwoHeritages.jpg

Attachments

• flywheel.jpg
    flywheel.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 139
  • TSB.jpg
    TSB.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 137
Last edited: