Graham Hill

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Can anyone enlightem me on when and why he raced/tested the GT40's?

66GT40

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 18, 2005
Graham Hill drove for Alan Mann Racing twice. First on 3/26 1966 at the 12 hr Sebring. He drove the Alan Mann GT-2, 289 ci motor. He did not finish the race. He next ran the LeMans trials on 4/2/1966 in the same Alan Mann AMGT-2 car. Then on 6/18/1966 he drove an XGT-2 427ci MarkII car also for Alan Mann and recorded another DNF. From 1964 thru 1970 these are the only times his name is mentioned as a driver of a GT40. As to why is anybodies guess. Jerry

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
thank you..the reason I ask is that I just a very interesting contact sheet of stills of his testing at a track in England and wanted the info...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
....and his son (Damon) lives just down the road from me.....

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
... and Damon has one of the 28 Ford GTs in the UK....

Rob

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
allan has quite a stable of vintage ford powered race cars that are all perfectly prepared and maintained. it was a kick to see Rahal toss the Falcon Sprint arround Goodwood :biggrin :biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Rob, I think Damons GT is owned through his P1 company.

P1 is quite a neat idea - basically you toss them $20k a year (approx) and for that you get access to their garage - GT, Vanquish, Enzo, Murcielago etc and get to keep a car for the weekend or week.

There are a few people who think this is better than owning and watching depreciation. Personally I'd rather own.

Take a peek at

www.p1international.com

Neil

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Neilda said:
Rob, I think Damons GT is owned through his P1 company.

P1 is quite a neat idea - basically you toss them $20k a year (approx) and for that you get access to their garage - GT, Vanquish, Enzo, Murcielago etc and get to keep a car for the weekend or week.

There are a few people who think this is better than owning and watching depreciation. Personally I'd rather own.

Take a peek at

www.p1international.com

Neil

There are several firms in the states that offer the same type of arrangements.

Dave

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Neil,

His car is owned via P1. I live near where P1 stables its cars and when I was getting my tires (or tyres) changed on my wife's SUV at a local tire shop I asked the manager to price new rubber for my GT. He said he'd just replaced a set of rear boots on Hill's P1 GT. Apparently the car only had 4K miles on it. It kind of gives you a feel for how hard these fractional ownerships cars are driven.

Rob

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
P1 comment

Gierkink said:
Neil,

His car is owned via P1. I live near where P1 stables its cars and when I was getting my tires (or tyres) changed on my wife's SUV at a local tire shop I asked the manager to price new rubber for my GT. He said he'd just replaced a set of rear boots on Hill's P1 GT. Apparently the car only had 4K miles on it. It kind of gives you a feel for how hard these fractional ownerships cars are driven.

Rob

Rob,
I think it is a bit different...It tells you how many unexperienced drivers are in the fractional owners. You can drive any car on a track, and rubb off the rubber like there is no tommorrow.,doesn't make it necessarily hard driving even, rather unclean driving off the trajectory with squeaking rubber being skinned.
I've been passenger on various occasions with the ferraris on tracks to coach the drivers, and trust me, some just don't get it...I suspect, a lot of these 'talents' you find in fractional ownership clubs like P1..

In that sense, i WOULDN'T WANT TO BE dAMON HILL WHO HAS PUT HIS PERSONAL BLUE WHITE GT into (pimping) fractional ownership to promote P1, it's like having your wife or dearest girlfriend sent off for rough gangbanging every (other) weekend..
Yes Neill, I also rather own, and wonder why I depreceiate a car that I might not use even once in two months (to then enjoy even more), than having an aching horse that has to tell me 'I love you' with painful face... I think fractional ownership might be interesting, but the few idiots in there spoil the whole thing and make cars eventually unreliable and cause unpredicted break down when you plan a nice weekend trip.. :thumbsdow

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I think Graham Hill won LeMans in 72 in a Matra, the Formula 1 world championship 68 for the second time and the Indy 500 in 66. I don't think any other driver has won all three >>??

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
"It's like having your wife or dearest girlfriend sent off for rough gangbanging every (other) weekend.. "

Rob, that is the most hiddeous image - thanks!! :ack

I'm not sure Damon has any personal cars apart from his his family wagon - I think he can simply borrow what he wants from his superb and tax efficient garage....

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Neilda said:
"It's like having your wife or dearest girlfriend sent off for rough gangbanging every (other) weekend.. "

That could be a way of creating funds to pay for those expensive rear tires... ha ha ha