Gas guzzler tax rebate?

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Last couple of months since a trip meter reset has been mostly highway commuting (4500 miles). Average mpg is way better than what is was taxed for. I should be eligible for a rebate, right?8B208274-BA48-49EA-ADE3-3694722E25D8.jpeg

Attachments

• F31CB5DA-3877-413F-A0BB-DE5700884AD6.jpeg
    F31CB5DA-3877-413F-A0BB-DE5700884AD6.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sure, but I will file a class action with you here in the judicial hell hole of Illinois

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
That is an impressive average MPG. What kind of actual tank range are you finding? There was some question about actual fuel tank capacity versus the readout, so I am curious what real world capacity and range is, in your experience.

Any insight or estimates, even rough, will be helpful in my upcoming travels.

As well as any travel tips, for example, if you are able to store anything meaningful in the small cargo hold without it getting baked from engine heat.

Reactions: Ed Sims

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I have made several long distance trips (Indy, Atlanta) and averaged about 19 mpg. I did push it to 300 miles on a tank ONCE. The gauge is really hard to determine what is real. Always in Normal mode. Average 85 mph. Rush hour traffic drops the mpg to like 11. I think SpecRacer told me that Wet mode is better in rush hour traffic.

I do keep meticulous records.

Last edited:
Reactions: SYCO GT

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Interesting and good to know that rush hour traffic makes such a drastic impact on MPG. No aero benefit at those low speeds.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
fuel capacity is 15.2 gallons but gauge is set at 13 Gallons. I’ve gone 10 miles past zero miles remaining and had flickers of the fuel bar display appear after disappearing. I’ve seen 300 miles to empty on fill up, but my uphill commute knocks that down easily an extra 30 miles. If only I went downhill both ways. Don’t put your makeup bag or chocolate in storage space. There is a custom fit bag that can be used after you take everything (tire stuff) out.

Last edited:

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
I have made several long distance trips (Indy, Atlanta) and averaged about 19 mpg. I did push it to 300 miles on a tank ONCE. The gauge is really hard to determine what is real. Always in Normal mode. Average 85 mph. Rush hour traffic drops the mpg to like 11. I think SpecRacer told me that Wet mode is better in rush hour traffic.

Dr, Frank, with regard to fuel mileage and tire wear, there is MUCH to be learned by watching Scott Dixon. You might reach out to him after Memorial Day weekend, but I suspect he could eclipse your high mileage number, getting closer to 25 mpg. ;-))

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Must be nice. Last 3 tanks I filled averaged 5MPG

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
A gas mileage conversation on a million dollar car makes me 😁

I do get it, though: range and distance-to-empty

Reactions: TACHY

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well, like I said, the gauge is hard to believe. I just filled up in St Louis (MO prices are much cheaper than IL) and pulling out the gauge said I had 218 miles to empty. My house is 35 miles from the gas station and it is interstate all the way. When I got home it said I had 215 miles to empty. Unlike Flagstaff, my gauge has never registered that I had 300 miles to empty. The 05 gauge is much better.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Must be nice. Last 3 tanks I filled averaged 5MPG
Hah, hah. Track (s)miles.

Reactions: GT@50

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Fuel gauge is hopeless. For example, after a track day when you’ve run 6-7 mpg, the distance to empty will use that number for ages, telling you you’re 50 til empty when the tank is 3/4 full!

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
I feel like the gauge is relatively reliable but the DTE calculation can be way off because it depends on current rate of fuel burn and average MPH which can vary significantly depending on driving conditions. I never rely on the DTE for this reason.

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Same experience as many here.
Computer adjusts 'miles to empty'
per driving condition. Gauge is a constant given so I judge it by the miles to empty reading.
I drove to rally 13 from Socal at approx 65 mph. I got 27 mpg.
So exactly, uncle Sam owes me a rebate.

93extxdps

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 17, 2007
Texas
I have a 2020 F250 for daily and trailer duties.
The DTE has to adjust for example after pulling a trailer vs highway miles not pulling a trailer.
I can get DTE of over 500 after a trip of non trailer highway miles.