Fuse Box Diagram

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Tony,

I am a degreed Electrical Engineer and have been designing electronic devices and coding for over 25 years for various companies and as a hobby. Props to you on the hard drive firmware. That stuff is no joke!

Do a search for ESP32 and you'll find several development boards. Most have on-board A/D converters and can be programmed and developed in the Arduino environment.
I was one of the original "inventors" of Serial ATA and author of about 1/3 of the spec (we just celebrated our 20th anniversary with no end in sight, where in our original "charter" we expected 10 years before it would be getting to end of life). NVMe and SSD are winding it down in consumer computing but it's still an important part of "cloud" enterprise infrastructure so volumes shifted from 2.5" laptop to 3.5 enterprise but totals still hold. Because I focused on the very low (phy/link/transport) I got recruited to be one of the major contributors for USB 3.0 and 3.1 (co-chair and laid foundation for multi-lane additions for 3.2). Then did the pinout for the USB-C connector. A major challenge for a cable with no left or right or up or down. It's one of the few specs that actually has the contributors names listed in public. My SATA code dealt with those layers. My stuff was fast because I designed hardware and firmware at the same time; I implemented firmware but could never get the nack for Verilog) . We had a full written design (the first written and reviwed in the company) and implementation for a fully native integrated hard drive controller and had it running full end to end in simulation but the real hardware got dropped and the asic group shifted to PICe/NVMe. 8 patents. I retired. Sometimes I miss the challenge but don't miss the stress.

Last edited:
Reactions: analogdesigner

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I can change my own oil!

Reactions: PeteK and extrap

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I can change my own oil!

LOL :)

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Although it hasn't been totally proven there are thoughts about low bat V causing gauge failure. Try it on the wife's car.

Ok, another update. At an indicated 20.8% capacity and a measured 13.11V at the terminals, the car cranked fine!

However, mindful of GT@50's note, I don't think I'll go any lower, though I'm confident the car would crank at lower states of charge.

Next step is to build a couple more prototypes for user testing. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Reactions: GTMD and Nafod

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
UPDATE: The prototype lithium batteries are still working fine and I've refined the firmware and added some extra features to the app.

However, production of additional porotypes is on hold as some of the integrated circuits I use are still on backorder due to COVID related supply shortages.

Reactions: GTMD

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
This is interesting to follow. Can you change the title from "Fuse Box Diagram" to maybe "Prototype Lithium Main Battery"?
Advancing from not being able to find a simple fuse to designing and programming the operation of a prototype lithium battery definitely gets you the "Most Improved" award.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Eric,
Given your background, how long then do you think the Lithium Ion batteries in the new Ford GT’s will last ?? Forever ??

My car is a 2017, 10,000 ODO miles, always on tender when not driven ,delivered September of 2017.
Andy (ajb)

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Eric,
Given your background, how long then do you think the Lithium Ion batteries in the new Ford GT’s will last ?? Forever ??

My car is a 2017, 10,000 ODO miles, always on tender when not driven, delivered September of 2017.
Andy (ajb)

Hey Andy.

If not abused, and depending on cathode type (there are six main lithium cathode types used in consumer batteries), your lithium battery should last at least 10 years if not (much) more.

Abuse would be excessive overcharge, fast charging in extreme cold (like below -20C) or long term storage (like over a year) in a discharged state (lithium is much more tolerant of this than lead acid but it helps to have some charge on it for long term storage).

Most lithium batteries in consumer applications 'die' from excessive cycling which will not likely occur in this application. Starting a car taxes the battery briefly and uses very little capacity (about 600-800Amp-seconds or 167-223mAh according to tests and calculations with my lithium batteries) which is quickly replaced by the alternator. In effect, the battery in your car is a shallow depth of discharge application and should augur well for long life.

Eric

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
This is interesting to follow. Can you change the title from "Fuse Box Diagram" to maybe "Prototype Lithium Main Battery"?
Advancing from not being able to find a simple fuse to designing and programming the operation of a prototype lithium battery definitely gets you the "Most Improved" award.

Hello HighHP. Thanks for the kind words.

This is probably a good idea.

Does anyone know how to change the thread title?

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Eric .
Thank you!
Your longevity analysis gives me confidence.

After viewing a new GT with the RH fender off and noting the location and package and electronic modules attached to the NFGT Battery, I suspect a replacement batter and installation for a new Ford GT to be $$Several thousand $$$
Andy (ajb)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Look at Flagstaff GTs post about replacing the battery.