Fuse Box Diagram

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Hello Guys,

I think I blew the fuse in the accessory socket (cigarette lighter adapter) and need to know where to look to replace it. I believe there is a fuse box in the passenger foot well.

I have the shop manual, but can't find a diagram or listing of the fuses there. Can someone point me in the right direction or at least tell me which fuse is for the accessory socket? Alternatively, if someone has a copy of the fuse box diagram they can send me, that would be fine too.

Thanks in advance.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
OK. I found the diagrams and layout in the owner's manual.

Just FYI, the fuse for the accessory socket is located in the Power Distribution box under the hood (trunk) and it is #22 named "Power Point".

It is a 20A mini-fuse.

Thanks!

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Be glad you did not have to get into the fuse box with black goo holding on the plastic sheeting.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
OK. I found the diagrams and layout in the owner's manual.

Just FYI, the fuse for the accessory socket is located in the Power Distribution box under the hood (trunk) and it is #22 named "Power Point".

It is a 20A mini-fuse.

Thanks!

Good deal ... so what happened? Draw too much current?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I was changing the battery and didn't want to lose my ECM mapped values so I hooked up an external power supply to the accessory port. Turns out the adapter I bought off ebay had the polarity reversed! That'll teach me.

Once I replaced the fuse everything seemed to be OK. I spent the rest of day cleaning the battery box and checking grounds.

By the way the battery I'm installing is a custom designed lithium battery which should last the life of the car. I'll install it today. My design has worked fine in my old Honda Pilot test vehicle (3.5 liter V6) for the last year, but this will be the first time cranking a V8. Finger crossed.

Thanks!

Reactions: BSim27 and extrap

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
"...Life of the car"? Selling early?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
LOL, no, I do not plan on selling my GT. I love the car too much.

I was just tired of dealing with lead batteries that have a tendency to sulfate when discharged and even when on a trickle charger, they have short lifespans. Even the sealed Optima I'm replacing corroded the negative terminal over time.

I bought the car new and I've had it for 15 years. In that time I've purchased two or three batteries, which isn't bad for a car that is not a daily driver. I just wanted something that truly is "no maintenance" (other than putting it on a trickle charger every now and then).

By the way, I installed the lithium battery and it works! I'll post a photo after my in-car testing is complete.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
I just wanted to update everyone on the lithium battery as I promised in my previous post.

The battery is working well. It cranks the car with ease and is MUCH lighter than the lead battery. The battery has a display which when active, displays the voltage, current, temp and capacity remaining.

FordGT_20210226_1.jpgFordGT_20210226_2.jpg

However, I've also created a browser app that I use I use on my phone that gives me the same info and much more. Here is just the status page of the App.

App_Status.png
I'm building a few more prototypes and will do a little more testing as the weather heats up. I'll report back when I have more results.

Regards.

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
How much is it worth, and how much weight saving did you get.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Nice work! I'm very interested in your findings as well.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Cool beans. What hardware/software base did you use to get "internet of things" implemented?

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
How much is it worth, and how much weight saving did you get.

Battery weighs about 9lbs or a little over 4kgs. I no longer have the original lead battery but I recall it weighing about 40lbs+. Maybe someone with an Optima laying around can weigh it and confirm.

Parts cost, including my custom board is about $250.

If it passes testing I'm considering making a couple of protos for board members for independent testing.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Nice work! I'm very interested in your findings as well.

Hello GTMD.

I just finished a week long idle capacity test (fully charged battery in GT for one week with factory alarm on).
- Starting Battery capacity: 97.4%
- Ending Battery capacity: 66%
- Test Duration: 164.25 hours (6 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes)

Car cranked fine.

The battery is programmed to account for self-discharge and idle current draw. Performing some calculations and accounting for self-discharge, this indicates the factory alarm draws about 36mAh.

This jibes well with a previous different test that indicated the factory alarm drew 40mAh. These preliminary results tell me I should put the battery on charge at least every 3 weeks.

[EDIT] My car is also Lojacked so it may also contribute to idle current draw. Cars without additional accessories may have lower idle power consumption.

Next test will be a continuation week long idle test with alarm to determine the low capacity cranking limit.

Thanks for the interest.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Hello GTMD.

I just finished a week long idle capacity test (fully charged battery in GT for one week with factory alarm on).
- Starting Battery capacity: 97.4%
- Ending Battery capacity: 66%
- Test Duration: 164.25 hours (6 days, 20 hours, 15 minutes)

Car cranked fine.

The battery is programmed to account for self-discharge and idle current draw. Performing some calculations and accounting for self-discharge, this indicates the factory alarm draws about 36mAh.

This jibes well with a previous different test that indicated the factory alarm drew 40mAh. These preliminary results tell me I should put the battery on charge at least every 3 weeks.

[EDIT] My car is also Lojacked so it may also contribute to idle current draw. Cars without additional accessories may have lower idle power consumption.

Next test will be a continuation week long idle test with alarm to determine the low capacity cranking limit.

Thanks for the interest.

Although it hasn't been totally proven there are thoughts about low bat V causing gauge failure. Try it on the wife's car.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I just wanted to update everyone on the lithium battery as I promised in my previous post.

The battery is working well. It cranks the car with ease and is MUCH lighter than the lead battery. The battery has a display which when active, displays the voltage, current, temp and capacity remaining.

View attachment 62917View attachment 62918

However, I've also created a browser app that I use I use on my phone that gives me the same info and much more. Here is just the status page of the App.

View attachment 62916
I'm building a few more prototypes and will do a little more testing as the weather heats up. I'll report back when I have more results.

Regards.
Can you reverse the positive/negative terminal positions on your battery so the terminals are away from the front radiator frame work? I installed a lead acid battery with the terminals reversed so the battery terminals would not be under the frame work like the original battery and accidently contact it. My battery terminals face the rear of the car instead of facing the front with the positive terminal still being on the passenger side.

Reactions: analogdesigner

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Can you reverse the positive/negative terminal positions on your battery so the terminals are away from the front radiator frame work? I installed a lead acid battery with the terminals reversed so the battery terminals would not be under the frame work like the original battery and accidently contact it. My battery terminals face the rear of the car instead of facing the front with the positive terminal still being on the passenger side.

Hello Awsum.

Yes.

I can easily mirror the terminals about the longitudinal axis. I can also paint any color.

I am purposefully using non-traditional colors to distinguish the battery from lead acid. This will prevent an unsuspecting tech from doing something untoward. The battery is totally safe and connecting a lead acid charger (not recommended) will have little to no effect, depending on the battery's state of charge and the charger.

Regards

Last edited:

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Cool beans. What hardware/software base did you use to get "internet of things" implemented?

I am using the Epressif ESP32 CPU core with integrated WiFi and BT (battery uses WiFi).

Firmware is C++, HTML and some CSS for browser pages.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am using the Epressif ESP32 CPU core with integrated WiFi and BT (battery uses WiFi).

Firmware is C++, HTML and some CSS for browser pages.
Wat is your background? This kind of thing isn't just something anyone does. I used to do firmware for hard drives. Does Expressif make a demo board or are you doing specific one? probably need a few A/D converters. Are you using the Android ARM IOT kernel? Ive thought of playing with it but havent been able to think of a problem to solve, this is a good one!

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Wat is your background? This kind of thing isn't just something anyone does. I used to do firmware for hard drives. Does Expressif make a demo board or are you doing specific one? probably need a few A/D converters. Are you using the Android ARM IOT kernel? Ive thought of playing with it but havent been able to think of a problem to solve, this is a good one!

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA

Tony,

I am a degreed Electrical Engineer and have been designing electronic devices and coding for over 25 years for various companies and as a hobby. Props to you on the hard drive firmware. That stuff is no joke!

Do a search for ESP32 and you'll find several development boards. Most have on-board A/D converters and can be programmed and developed in the Arduino environment.