Fuel vapor canister purge valve

Orcas

Jun 19, 2009
Olympia, WA
Looking for a fuel vapor canister purge valve part number4G7Z9C915AA. Have been told that the reproduction part # 991231 requires major modification and so I’m dead in the water right now. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is this part of the fuel fill assembly under the fender?

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
the part number you're giving is for the purge valve and line assembly in the engine compartment which is now obsolete and no longer available from Ford as an assembly. however I have to think the purge valve itself is not unique to the GT so yes it may be some work taking it off the factory purge vapor line and re-installing. I'm sure someone knows what other purge valve will work. hope that helps. PS: also check that you have voltage coming into the purge valve that it's not the valve but the voltage. jmo

Reactions: GT Tech and Johntpr

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
That is one of the first repairs I had to face after buying my '06 GT in '07. I bought the no-longer-available valve and line assembly and was intimidated by the difficulty of installing the the long line through the firewall. Instead, I cut the line on the new part and grafted the old line onto it. That has worked fine ever since. If you can identify an appropriate replacement valve, as Scott suggests, your only issue will be attaching it to the old line. Rich brooks (GT Guy) assisted me and, not surprisingly, was very reluctant to cut the line. That goes against his nature!

Reactions: GT Tech and Johntpr

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
after digging thru the Ford system, I think I found the correct replacement part.
Motorcraft CX1597. I haven't tried it but it crosses back to a 2001/2002 Explorer.
sure looks the same!! hope this helpsfgt purge valve.jpg

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Looking for a fuel vapor canister purge valve part number4G7Z9C915AA. Have been told that the reproduction part # 991231 requires major modification and so I’m dead in the water right now. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.
Does anyone have a pic where the purge valve is located??? Good to know for the rest of us.

Ravage

GT Owner
Mar 24, 2007
ABQ
Did this a couple years ago after throwing a few codes.
Here's the part I used:

engine.jpg

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Love this forum - someone will find anything. I have added this to my parts interchange list.

Reactions: Johntpr and 2112

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Love this forum - someone will find anything. I have added this to my parts interchange list.
I ordered one at the prevailing price. Said six left at that price.

Orcas

Jun 19, 2009
Olympia, WA
Thanks so much for your help, especially Ravage and NorthwoodGT. The mechanics at two Ford dealerships were stumped. I’m so happy to have a few months to drive now!

Reactions: Ravage

Orcas

Jun 19, 2009
Olympia, WA
Also thanks to Howard!

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
Thanks so much for your help, especially Ravage and NorthwoodGT. The mechanics at two Ford dealerships were stumped. I’m so happy to have a few months to drive now!
it's not the dealer or techs fault usually when they can only deal with the info given thru the Ford system. usually someone like Rich or Italian Joe have been there before and can find a fix. we're all lucky we have them both! Godfather 1 and Godfather 2 in no particular order or assignment!! lol

Reactions: Nafod and Johntpr

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Orcas, did this part replacement work? Please follow up so the rest of us know. To my eye, the part for sale only looks like half the unit needed for replacement.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2112

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Orcas, did this part replacement work? Please follow up so the rest of us know. To my eye, the part for sale only looks like half the unit needed for replacement.
You just pull your old lines off and install the new sensor. It’s also the same for f150 from the same era as the car.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Was your fuel problem not being able to fill up at normal rate?

Orcas

Jun 19, 2009
Olympia, WA
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions and recommendations. Ford, Amazon, Summit, et al say they have the part, but after prodding found they do not have it in stock and have no idea when it may be available. Any other ideas for me? Thanks for all your help. Pretty frustrating to have a FordGT that cannot be driven, now going on 4 months.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
They are available at Amazon just checked. 6 in stock

Attachments

• FF4B6327-E352-460C-A408-6547247FA163.jpeg
    FF4B6327-E352-460C-A408-6547247FA163.jpeg
    598.4 KB · Views: 5

Orcas

Jun 19, 2009
Olympia, WA
Thanks, I'm after the fuel vapor canister. Motorcraft 4G7Z9D653CA.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What is leading you to this particular part? I just went through a problem on my truck - slow or fast evap leak - and one of the items it calls out is a leak in the "charcoal canister". However, the makeup of that part is an extremely low probabilty that is the problem. The purge valve shown above is much higher on the "debug tree". Loose or broken hoses come next, but first in line is the "gas cap" which in the case of the Ford GT the evap seal is integrated into the filling tube.

If you are getting a check engine code please post the code.

The definitive test is a smoke test. If you start replacing parts without one it'll be a high probability that you'll be back here again...

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Thanks, I'm after the fuel vapor canister. Motorcraft 4G7Z9D653CA.
Send us a pic of the part so we can help you.