Fuel smell and milage

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I've noticed, on occasion, the smell of gasoline in my garage after a road romp. Anyone else notice this? My dealer checked out everything, even vacuum tested the lines and found no issues.

It also seems like my mileage is just ridiculous. I know my driving has a lot to do with it, but I used 3/4 of a tank going to and from my dealer (about 30 miles each way). Anyone got some mileage stats, both cruising around and getting silly?

Seems like the mileage is worse after the Borla install, but I'll admit I'm getting even more silly with that installed. I probably used up a gallon just flooring it in the driveway waking up the neighbors.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
My gas receipts are in the car at the dealer right now, but if memory serves me right I have been filling up when I get to a ¼ tank left, and by that point I have gone ~150 – 160 miles. I remember computing the mpg after one refill and it was close to 13 mpg. I have not noticed any smell of gas except for right after a fill up (somewhat more expected at that point).

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
SuperB,
My experience has been 12 to 14 MPG so far during break-in (650 mi.) so far. No gasoline smell to date. 3/4 tank in 60 miles seems a little high to me except for all out track situations :eek

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I'm practically racing from stop light to stop light :biggrin

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
:thumbsup
SuperB said:
I'm practically racing from stop light to stop light :biggrin

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I filled up today so I can track milage. Seems my gauge stuck at 3/4 for a bit, so maybe it's a problem with the gauge (probably it's the lead foot).

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I would guess my mileage is around 10-12 as others have stated. That does not concern me, if I wanted good mileage I would buy one of those hybrids :lol

However, my car has a S-TRONG fuel smell after filling up. I mean very strong. It goes away after a few miles but is really annoying. I am thinking a vent hose must be lose or something similar. It reminds me of my 275 GTB/4 Ferrari with the fuel filler in the trunk. We put our luggage in Hefty bags and tape them shut on trips so we don't smell like raw fuel later! :eek

Colin Comer

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I've only filled mine up twice, but, I noticed it's very easy to overfill and the excess runs down the tube onto the asphalt. I was very careful the second time and still had some overflow. Please refer to Analogdesigner's comments about replacement of his gas cap. I have been very careful and wipe the station's nozzle before inserting it. My mileage should have been about 15mpg (no heavy foot), but I just ran the car in the garage to warm it up several times during the bad weather here. Still only have 450 miles on the odometer.

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Mine does not smell at all after a fill up and has never overflowed.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SuperB said:
Mine does not smell at all after a fill up and has never overflowed.

Ditto

BBRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 11, 2005
vancouver bc canada
No fuel smell or overflow and have filled up twice.

Tim

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Filled up twice. No fuel smell or overflow. Fuel consumption so far: 14.57 miles per gallon.

Eric

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
In terms of percieved gas consumption, do take into consideration the tank is only something like 14 gallons.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Stats say 17 - 17.5 gallons.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Been through 8 tanks so far. Typically fill up when down under 1/4 tank Average ~12 MPG and have noticed with the last two fillup STRONG GAS smell after fillup.

Have to run with the windows down for 10-15 miles at least to eliminate the smell. At least it's 93 octane on the east coast...... :lol

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
17 MPG :eek
Is it all down hill where you are?

MR2Race

FGT The Velvet Hammer
Apr 6, 2006
Northville Mi.
This will be hard to do; it was extremely difficult for me.
But driving from Detroit to Phoenix. On one tank my average was just over 26 MPG.
@ 70 MPH in 6th (running 1,700 RPM.) Very easy on the loud pedal, it can be done.

But who would want to?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Ask us in August as we converge on Dearborn for the Rally. I'm so looking forward to that drive!

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
Update on fuel leak.

Turns out there was a fuel leak, minor, but enough to stink up the garage and stain my engine. The leak was in the compression fitting for the fuel rail, right on top of the engine.

The dealer had spent a lot of time looking for it and couldn't find it, I finally found it due to the stain it left behind. I thought it was an oil leak due to the burt oil looking color. Dealer said 'that is a fuel leak' and wouldn't let me drive it until they could fix it. :cheers That 48 hours was very painful. :biggrin

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Great to find out the found the leak Was in on the top rails? I don't think I've could of looked at another barbecue picture of a piece of meat (SuperB it would have been a ternderloin roast in you case) strapped to a GT :biggrin