Fuel filter release tool

rick458

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2011
Having a tough time releasing the fuel filter from the lines. I purchased a universal release tool set from Napa but they do not seem to work. I see that the manual shows special tool for this. Do you need this tool to release the filter? Would Ford have it?

Thanks

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Had the same issue. Had to get one from ford.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
How much for the tool? The GT Guys said it's a PITA to R&R. My tech works at a Ford dealer. Am I better off paying him to change it?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I don't know how much, mine was free and r&r of filter was also free. My buddy (a ford tech manager) tried with his tool that he had in his tool box. that tool did not work, he then ordered a few from ford and this one worked. He then gave it to me.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Rich & Denis (GT Guy) made their own - and it WORKS! Maybe you can have them make one for you....

What's the Ford number for the correct tool? I'll just go down and order one from my local dealer.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I don't see a part # just "3/8 pat". It is yellow. That's all I can provide. Sorry.
Maybe when Dan gets back from bonniville he can help further.

Last edited:

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Since I need to do this service very soon, I bought this real fancy kit online last year. If it doesn't work well, I will make one on the spot in my machine shop. I will let you guys know if I learn anything worthwhile! Jay

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Since I need to do this service very soon, I bought this real fancy kit online last year. If it doesn't work well, I will make one on the spot in my machine shop. I will let you guys know if I learn anything worthwhile! Jay

Btw - I was thinking of ya as I was changing the oil while looking at the super conductor plugs..... Good do to see your'e back Jay.

I'll pre order one so put my name on the list. :biggrin

Another fine FGT product forthcoming from the designers garage!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I thought it was going to be some exotic and exotically priced tool. Does it look anything like this?

http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-3321-Quick-Disconnect/dp/B0002SRD32

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Would someone please post a picture of the Ford tool? Thanks in advance.

paul b

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2006
If possible, are fittings available for the filter, so an extension hose could be made to relocate it to a better position?

SaskGT

GT Owner
Dec 24, 2013
I purchased the OTC tool kit #7337 (1/2" and 3/8"), which I believe is the one Ford uses. A picture is available at www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/import/7337_2.jpg. Had better success with this tool than the others.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I purchased the OTC tool kit #7337 (1/2" and 3/8"), which I believe is the one Ford uses. A picture is available at www.otctools.com/sites/default/files/import/7337_2.jpg. Had better success with this tool than the others.
i have the yellow one and it works. it is a little bit tricky and you do have to play around a bit, but, it works.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State

Thanks for the link. That looks like a standard tool for various hose/line quick connectors, including Ford A/C hoses.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight and ground the back off of the closest size to thin it down and slip into the spring. Worked.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Maybe we could Rich Brooks to post a photo of the one that he and Denis made, & use?

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
I bought a cheap set from Harbor Freight and ground the back off of the closest size to thin it down and slip into the spring. Worked.
Looks like mine might have a small adjustment to it. I will talk to my friend this weekend to see if anything was done to it.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
I found this interesting.

Not knowing what this special little tool looked like I clicked on a link in one of the posts in this thread. Do not remember which one.

Yesterday I was going to do some shopping on Amazon.Com. On their opening page, near the bottom, was the typical "you might be interested in these items". And there were 7 or 8 mostly
Ford fuel line tools offered for sale.

I think I just discovered a new way to comparison shop. And to find suppliers, too.

Much simpler than sorting through Ebuy windows for sure.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Tool

Here is what I did. The I ground the back of the 3/8 tool ans a little off the front as shown in the side view. I think the whole set cost about $5 bucks.

Attachments

• Harbor Freight Set.jpg
    Harbor Freight Set.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Tool Side.jpg
    Tool Side.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 275