Fuel filter- engine check light

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Changed fuel filter for first time. Followed instructions in work shop manual regarding pulling fuel pump fuse , running engine until pressure dropped. And Yes, safety clips were a challenge to remove. All done, but yellow check engine light on? Car runs fine . Is it in due to low fuel pressure during procedure as outlined above? Will it reset itself? Or do I need to go to dealer to reset it?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Get a bluetooth OBDII reader to find the code. I use the Torque (lite - free) app on Android, but there are some that work with Apple. Torque lists the ones that work, I got mine from Amazon for under $20. The app can clear the codes. Once you know the code and reason you can go from there.

Some codes are self-clearing, some are not... Note however that if you do clear the code (either by yourself or the dealer) you will have to run the drive cycle to get the emissions readiness indicators to run the tests. If you have emissions testing the OBDII reader makes it easy to run the missing sequences. It can be a chore to get some of them to run since some of the specific sequences are difficult in city scenarios with lots of lights.

Reactions: GSix

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
Sounds complicated! I quess it’s time to get OBD 11 reader! I am hoping it will clear spontaneously but will check the code.
Thanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Agree with you that the bluetooth readers are too much of a pain in the butt and I wouldn't recommend. Just buy a decent code reader and getting one that can display the status of the monitors is a big help. I'd recommend the Autel 519 HERE.

The code is most likely because the ECU couldn't "see" the fuel pump with the fuse removed. A good code reader like the Autel above is a nice tool to have around and super simple to use.