Fuel Filter disconnect

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Another newbie or first timer question. I’m trying to disconnect the fuel filter. I bought both a 1/2” and 3/8” plastic disconnect tool and I can’t seem to get it to release. Are there any tips to separate the line from the filter. Very frustrated.

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Another newbie or first timer question. I’m trying to disconnect the fuel filter. I bought both a 1/2” and 3/8” plastic disconnect tool and I can’t seem to get it to release. Are there any tips to separate the line from the filter. Very frustrated.

Buy the aluminum tools and shave off about 1/8-3/16 on the ends to get them to fit into the fuel line as sometimes they are very tight. You will also have to separate the two pieces with snap ring pliers, I’ll be back to my shop tomorrow and can post a picture of my tools

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Can you please clarify what has to be seperated with snap ring pliers?! Thanks for your help

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Can you please clarify what has to be seperated with snap ring pliers?! Thanks for your help

The aluminum tools. Have to fit them in at an angle and can’t do it if they are held together

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
The aluminum tools. Have to fit them in at an angle and can’t do it if they are held together
Got it. Thanks. I’ll look forward to the picture. This should have been a quick job but the cheap plastic spring loaded tools just don’t seem to work. In the aluminum tool do you use 1/2” or 3/8”?

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Got it. Thanks. I’ll look forward to the picture. This should have been a quick job but the cheap plastic spring loaded tools just don’t seem to work. In the aluminum tool do you use 1/2” or 3/8”?

These are not shaved down any but a 1/8th would make a world of difference.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
These are not shaved down any but a 1/8th would make a world of difference.

When they are two pieces you can get them to go into both line at fuel filter and at fuel rail. When they are together you can not. If you remove some from them you could. Makes it a little easier if 1/8th is removed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I hate those connections with a passion. Why not a simple threaded connection like has served well for many decades? Because it’s easier to snap them together on the assembly line. But for service you need yet another “special tool” or set of them, and they are a PITA to use in tight spaces.

I spent many hours trying to get one of those off a firewall connection to the heater in my old Chevy Avalanche, that had cracked at the hose. I ended up Dremel-ing and filing the damn thing off. And when I put it back together, I used a hose clamp on the hose over the firewall fitting, “old school.” No way I was gonna put that piece of shit back in that space.

Reactions: B.M.F.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
I just did this yesterday. First try was Sunday and my two sets of line tools did not work. I purchased OTC set 7337($40 shipped), and that did the job. Even using the ”correct” OTC tool, the lower fitting was still a pain.

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I shaved down 2 plastic ones and broke both.
Finally got a metal one to work after trimming it down.

Have done numerous repairs/projects/maintenance on this car over the years.
Would prefer to do any of the others over having to do the fuel filter again.....

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
When they are two pieces you can get them to go into both line at fuel filter and at fuel rail. When they are together you can not. If you remove some from them you could. Makes it a little easier if 1/8th is removed.
Thank you are those 3/8 or 1/2?
I just did this yesterday. First try was Sunday and my two sets of line tools did not work. I purchased OTC set 7337($40 shipped), and that did the job. Even using the ”correct” OTC tool, the lower fitting was still a pain.
can you tell me which size you used?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Same?

How about the metal version?

Rob (GT@50) said disconnecting the oil tank and laying it safely aside helps a lot.

Last edited:

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
Thank you are those 3/8 or 1/2?

can you tell me which size you used?

1/2

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Yellow is the one I used in the kit. The top connector came right apart, but the bottom took a few minutes. I purchased the plastic ones off Amazon.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I posted this pic at another similar thread. I bought a disconnect kit at advanced auto. Used the red one as shown:

2150AFEA-DCBA-47CA-83A5-547944424FA3.jpeg

Reactions: Jeff Romig

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Even with the aluminium tools it can still be an entire afternoon of m****f****ing and skinned knuckles. Thank God it only needs doing infrequently, easily the worst part of the ‘big’ service.

Jeff Romig

GT Owner
Nov 10, 2020
Three Rivers, MI
Just an update. Success. I got the red plastic tool (shaped a bit like a spoon) had to grind about 1/8” off to get it to fit with filter on and it worked like magic. Very tedious work that requires a lot of patience. Was able to remove the filter bracket without moving oil tank. Used lots of blue tape to protect frame from scratches. Hoping not to have to do that again for a while. On to the belts….gear box oil and coolant flush….maybe that will seem easy after the fuel filter. Car only has 2,800 miles but trying to catch up on all the maintenance items.

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Congrats on the fuel filter. Doing similar maintenance on my 13k car. I also just did the belts, and did them all from underneath. Worst part is getting the oil pump drive belt cover off, but you can reach in from the passenger side to get the upper bolts. Another very cramped area to work in. Trans fluid was easy, have not done the coolant yet.