Fuel Filler Problem

Orange_Voodoo

GT Owner
Jun 17, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I have an 06 GT with about 25.000 Miles on her currently. The car has the Whipple 4.0L Supercharger, KW Suspension and HRE Wheels. Over the last year the car occasionally stalled when coming to a stop, after a few times it threw up a check engine light and I checked with my OBD Scanner. The Error Codes it showed are P0457 and P0455. Now I know our GT's can have some issues with the Fuel Filler neck, as I have seen some posts here in the forum. I also saw that it is either the whole filler neck that has to be replaced or sometimes the problem can arise due to a faulty O-Ring. Is there a way to check at home which one of the two faults it is, or do I have to take her to a Ford dealer. I am only asking because I would like to identify the problem before taking her to ford, since I live in Germany and have had some mediocre experience with the GT at Ford Dealers here. Maybe someone has some insights.
Thank you in advance and kind regards

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
In our experience if you're getting P0455 that is for a large (gross) leak which in most cases means the flap in the top of the filler neck has become detached. You can check for this fairly easily:
1. Open the fuel door,
2. Slide the plastic gate to one side with your finger.
3. You should then be presented with the flap which is hinged and has the O ring on it.
If you can't see/feel the flap then it's probably detached itself and has dropped to the bottom of the filler neck. This usually also means it's difficult to fill with fuel.

We've seen this so often we have now designed and had 3D printed metal replacement pieces so we can fix the filler neck rather than paying the huge cost for a new one (which can just as easily fail) However it's not really a DIY task as you have to disassemble the filler neck assembly.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
In our experience if you're getting P0455 that is for a large (gross) leak which in most cases means the flap in the top of the filler neck has become detached. You can check for this fairly easily:
1. Open the fuel door,
2. Slide the plastic gate to one side with your finger.
3. You should then be presented with the flap which is hinged and has the O ring on it.
If you can't see/feel the flap then it's probably detached itself and has dropped to the bottom of the filler neck. This usually also means it's difficult to fill with fuel.

We've seen this so often we have now designed and had 3D printed metal replacement pieces so we can fix the filler neck rather than paying the huge cost for a new one (which can just as easily fail) However it's not really a DIY task as you have to disassemble the filler neck assembly.
Where can I get the repair kit?

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Where can I get the repair kit?
Yes, this is the first I have seen of this repair. It would be nice to know where to order one when needed.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Yes, this is the first I have seen of this repair. It would be nice to know where to order one when needed.
I'm hoping if I order it, I won't need it!

Reactions: extrap

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
The "umbrella effect."

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
We hadn't marketed the parts as a repair kit because it's a major PITA to do. But in the image you'll see the lowdown for those interested.
Before you get to the process in the image you need to remove the filler neck assembly from the car.
It also relies on reusing the rubber seal, spring and pivot pin so if you've lost these parts or they are broken this won't be a complete fix.

I can add this to our online store if anyone wants to buy the bits and do this themselves.

Screenshot 2023-05-11 at 08.46.13.png

Reactions: 2112

Orange_Voodoo

GT Owner
Jun 17, 2017
We hadn't marketed the parts as a repair kit because it's a major PITA to do. But in the image you'll see the lowdown for those interested.
Before you get to the process in the image you need to remove the filler neck assembly from the car.
It also relies on reusing the rubber seal, spring and pivot pin so if you've lost these parts or they are broken this won't be a complete fix.

I can add this to our online store if anyone wants to buy the bits and do this themselves.

View attachment 68011
Thank you for the replies! I am currently debating whether to do it myself or bring it to a dealer. I doubt the dealer would make use of your repair kit, since it is not OEM, but I would love to have the internal components in aluminium, so this does not happen again. Does anyone have a reputable dealer in Germany that knows the Ford GT's well enough?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

View attachment 68011

I would like to purchase one.

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I had my filler neck replaced 2 years ago, but the only issue I had was the slowness of gas fill ups, no stalls, no error lights.

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
I have added them to the store just now - we 5 sets in stock.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have added them to the store just now - we 5 sets in stock.

Thanks for doing PayPal. Makes it easier to do the currency exchange.

Reactions: GT101

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Jeffrey and Michael - thank you both for your orders - these will leave us tomorrow and you'll get the tracking information from the store.

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
Dave - Thanks for making these available. Ordered. Can you include some instructions? At least, the pics and notes on your post #7 above?
Thanks again,
Ed

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Orders leaving today and there's a copy of the instructions in the envelope - any problems just message me.

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah

View attachment 68011
It arrived. Seems like I get stuff from UK, Italy and Saudi Arabia faster than from Florida. Thanks

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Jeffrey and Michael - thank you both for your orders - these will leave us tomorrow and you'll get the tracking information from the store.
Received - Thank you 🍻

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It arrived. Seems like I get stuff from UK, Italy and Saudi Arabia faster than from Florida. Thanks
Received - Thank you 🍻

+3 thank you

Mr.Charger

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2019
Germany, Hamburg
Thank you for the replies! I am currently debating whether to do it myself or bring it to a dealer. I doubt the dealer would make use of your repair kit, since it is not OEM, but I would love to have the internal components in aluminium, so this does not happen again. Does anyone have a reputable dealer in Germany that knows the Ford GT's well enough?
Hi Orange_Voodoo and forum members,
same problem last year on a Rally no errors but very slow fueling. Tried to push the inner lid down but dit not help. Need to habe it fixed now here in Germany. Did you find a good dealer or did you do by your own ? I know there is a Ford GT Expert called „Ford Hagemeyer“ in 33790 Halle. They have old, 2006 and new FORD GT by themselves. Going to ask them if they know that problem but just saw your post and was curious about your solution.
living south of Hamburg driving GT 2006.
Greetings
Holger

GT101

*UK Support*
Supporting Vendor
Jan 20, 2010
Colchester, Essex, UK
Hi Orange_Voodoo and forum members,
same problem last year on a Rally no errors but very slow fueling. Tried to push the inner lid down but dit not help. Need to habe it fixed now here in Germany. Did you find a good dealer or did you do by your own ? I know there is a Ford GT Expert called „Ford Hagemeyer“ in 33790 Halle. They have old, 2006 and new FORD GT by themselves. Going to ask them if they know that problem but just saw your post and was curious about your solution.
living south of Hamburg driving GT 2006.
Greetings
Holger
Hi Holger - If you mention the GT101 parts to the guys at Hagemeier they should be able to help - we supply quite a few GT parts to them though I don't think they've had to do one of these before.