Fuel Filler Neck repair not going so good!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Well I was on my way to repairing my fuel filler neck just like Pro GT Driver did. So far I tore up my hands and I almost tore up the paint and aluminum on the fender when removing the wheel well shroud, I wasn't sure if I should scoop out the wheel well from the top or the bottom..I ended up pulling out from the top. Then it looks like you need a special Ford tool to release the small vent tube connectors so I ended up breaking the plastic Y connector. Now that I have the filler neck in my hands I can't seem to pry out the black plastic insert, I just about broke it so I figured I was in for a "Time Out" before I caused anymore destruction!
Any tips would be helpful!:ack

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
shadowman@discovery-automotive.com

He'll walk you through it.....

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
Scooter, contact me if you need help!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Ford Part number for the Plastic Y connector?

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
in that link posted, read through my descriptionof fender liner removal, even though you've already done it. it will help you when replacing it. Heater, dude. Heater.

as far as disconnecting the lines... i used my thumbnail or a small metal peice to push in the connector lock. it was VERY VERY easy. there is no special tool required.

i did look at my old filler tube, and tried to gently remove the plastic liner you are talking about... seems just about impossible to me too... at least without fracturing the plastic!

One option would be to physically cut the aluminum BELOW the plastic insert, so you can tap the liner out from below. then you would just need a fuel hose maybe 2" in length, with hose clamps on each side to seal the two aluminum peices back together. It would be better imo to tap it out the way the Progtdriver did, but having cut my old one open to look at the problem, i can see how easy it would be to use a fuel proof hose with hose clamps to put it back together. In fact, i could have done that rather than use the peice torrie sent me as a replacement... but i figured better to put in the new working peice since i had it apart.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
OK I fixed it! I see how the flapper just slides out of its track, if you haven't had this problem yet there's a good chance you will. The little hose connector that I broke, the one I thought I needed a special tool...I realized I just had to squeeze the connector to release it, what a Dummy.
Next I need to find/purchase the part I broke, install the wheel well, reset the code and fire her up.

Pro_GT_driver

GT Owner
Jun 23, 2010
in that link posted, read through my descriptionof fender liner removal, even though you've already done it. it will help you when replacing it. Heater, dude. Heater.

as far as disconnecting the lines... i used my thumbnail or a small metal peice to push in the connector lock. it was VERY VERY easy. there is no special tool required.

i did look at my old filler tube, and tried to gently remove the plastic liner you are talking about... seems just about impossible to me too... at least without fracturing the plastic!

One option would be to physically cut the aluminum BELOW the plastic insert, so you can tap the liner out from below. then you would just need a fuel hose maybe 2" in length, with hose clamps on each side to seal the two aluminum peices back together. It would be better imo to tap it out the way the Progtdriver did, but having cut my old one open to look at the problem, i can see how easy it would be to use a fuel proof hose with hose clamps to put it back together. In fact, i could have done that rather than use the peice torrie sent me as a replacement... but i figured better to put in the new working peice since i had it apart.

I agree with cutting the aluminium below, that's a good option compared to tapping the plastic insert out. But definitely one should cut it above the brown gasket which seals everything up! Cut it at around 0.75inch (20mm) from the flange, and pull on the flange to get the plastic insert out. When you are assembling it together with hose clamps and hose, you DON'T have to worry about fuel proof or leakage!!!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
Regarding cutting of the filler neck tube, no need to cut it. Just like I learned from Pro GT driver there are two little dents on each side of the aluminum fill tube, open them up with a screw driver and use a dremmel cutting tool (you cut about 1/4" of metal each side) The black plastic insert has two spots that cling to the two little dents in the aluminum. After you do this the black plastic sleeve will pull out no problem(I used a little WD-40 and a screw driver).

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
Can you post a photo to illustrate? I don't particularly need it, as i just replaced mine with new OEM. But if it breaks AGAIN, Id prefer to save the $375 and put it towards hookers and blow.

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
FillerNeck-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
I need a little help with pictures..looks a little to small, if you can see I have re installed the filler neck and just pushed back the metal I had to cut. No glue or sealer needed because the O ring gasket is about 1.5 inches below the cut mark

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
FillerNeck-2.jpg

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
my workshop simply took out the bl.. plastic and since then no issues