FRPP Header install question-

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
For those of you that have installed the FRPP headers, I have a (hopefully) easy question:

Did you use the supplied header bolts for mounting the headers to the cylinder heads, or the factory studs? The bolts that were supplied with my headers did not fit the recessed hole in the header flange, so we used the factory studs and hardware to attach the header. Although everything torqued up to specs and appeared to be perfect, I have what sounds like a small header gasket leak on one side.

It could also be a leak from the slip joint collector, I don't have much faith in that being a good leak proof connection.

If anybody has any thoughts or first hand experience on these headers and the above issues, I'd love some insight.

On a related note (no pun intended), wow, this thing is LOUD with the FRPP shorty headers hooked up to the FRPP muffler! I was expecting a little quieter sound from that big box muffler, but apparently it is not much more than an empty box :biggrin

Thanks,
Colin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
PM forum member Nota4re. He has these installed on his GT and did the install himself.

Eric

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Colin,

I think you have the Ford Long Tube Headers (and muffler) and I have the Rear Exit Headers. Nevertheless, I would assume the flanges are the same. My headers shipped with Stage 8 Locking Fasteners. It is impossible to use their locking tabs with the design of the header flange, so I'm not sure what Ford/Borla was thinking. Nevertheless, I chose to use their supplied bolts (sans locking tabs). I too contemplated to re-use the stock studs - but there's a couple of places where I thought that their length would interfere with the header tubes. I checked the torque of all of the header bolts after 5-6 full heat cycles, and found that none of them have loosened.

Regarding your symptom, I would almost think that you can visually check all of your studs to make sure the flange is snugged up against the head and not causing a leak anywhere as a result of a gap.

Not to make you paranoid, but I can't hear any leaking from mine - even from the slip joints.

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Thanks, that is all good info. We checked the header flanges again, and they are all tight and not leaking. I used the stock studs and everything cleared. Didn't feel comfortable using the supllied hardware because of the lock tab not fitting as you saw. Leave it to Ford :wink

With the engine cold, we ran it and checked by hand for exhaust leaks. The slip joints are leaking a considerable amount on one side, and slightly on the other. So it looks like we will have to pull the pipes back and use some high-temp rtv to seal these slip joints.

My guess is the added back pressure of the muffler would make them leak on my car, and not on yours with just the resonators? I bet your car is really loud with the rear exit headers, have you had any problems on the street, ie, Johnny Law?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Regards,
Colin

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just started my headers install today, and I found the flanges to be less than straight - and I'm talking BIGTIME on the piss :thumbsdow (did you guys check yours?)

I'll post some pictures one of these days...

A friend of mine has installed his headers and he also has the leaking problem, I suspect that it could be from the flanges. Futher more he gets the engine light going off - I read somewhere that we need to do something to the lamda sensors.. But ecactly what to do I don't rember...

Anyone?? :shrug

csx289

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
The SCT flash tuner turns off the rear (post-cat) O2 sensors.

I am just hoping that those headers don't have to come out again. You'd think for $2500 they would at least be as good as a $179.99 set of Hooker Headers for a regular old V-8!

Overall, all I can say is that I am not overly impressed with the quality of the FRPP, nor their instructions. How about throwing in a couple of header gaskets with the headers? Little stuff like that goes a long way towards customer satisfaction. At least in my business.

Keep sending those header ideas and experiences....

Colin

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I just started my headers install today, and I found the flanges to be less than straight - and I'm talking BIGTIME on the piss (did you guys check yours?)

My flanges were PERFECT - and yes I checked them with a straight edge before install. The flange itself is a cast piece with a lot of ribbing (turned edges) for additive strength. Do you have the Long Tube Headers or the Rear Exit Headers?? (The long tube headers still require you to use a muffler - stock or otherwise.)

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
How about THIS?? :frown

header-flange.jpg

I havn't got a flash unit - and when I ordered the headers I wasn't told that I needed one... hmmmm

I read somewhere that the Viper people had a quick solution using a resister of some sort...

nota4re said:
My flanges were PERFECT - and yes I checked them with a straight edge before install. The flange itself is a cast piece with a lot of ribbing (turned edges) for additive strength. Do you have the Long Tube Headers or the Rear Exit Headers?? (The long tube headers still require you to use a muffler - stock or otherwise.)

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
BTW - this is how I fixed it..:)

header-flange-fix.jpg

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
101, are you sure your metric ruler is straight :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
I would be fit to be tied if I found such sloppy workmanship on a TOP dollar piece, no excuse for that :thumbsdow :bs :thumbsdow

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
This is AMERICAN engineering, if you want straight you gotta go to Japan or Germany :lol

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Work is completed and it sounds a little like THIS

Bill Briley

GT Owner
Aug 9, 2005
Valley Forge PA.
Damn....makes your Hair stand up !!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
...that wasn't the only thing to stood up for me :willy :willy :willy :willy

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Much!!!!

Well - drove withe the Borla can for 2 days and most places I went I had people greeting me with fists in the air as I flew past... ha ha ha. I've put back my original european mufler which together with the headers makes is sound VERY tasty indeed.

For you guys who don't know about the Euro mods in detail, the mufler is fitted with a device looking like this:

standard-exhaust.jpg

It's operated by the engines vacum, so at cruising speed they will be closed and then they open as throttle is applied. The tips are fitted with some sound deadner of some sort.

I realize that this item perhaps steals a bit of horsepower, but for sure the headers makes up for this - and a bit more I would guess...

Dyno figures will follow...