Ford OEM Car Cover Care - Anyone tried to machine wash one?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I couldn't find any care instructions or labels other than the part number, and the flammability labels.

My cover (only used indoors) could use a light wash, but I'm wondering how the plastic license plate window would fare. Obviously I would do gentle cycle, cold water.

Has anyone tried machine washing their cover?

IMG_4642.jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I washed it on cold and hung it to dry it (no dryer). Couldn't believe how much dust was in it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Syco, I don't think I would do this at home. Go to a laundromat where they have big commercial machines and use a gentle detergent. Like you would do a nylon sleeping bag.

Reactions: reiner

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
We recently bought a modern large capacity LG machine (after our Maytag gave an impressive 19 years of service), and the LG fit the cover easily with room to spare.

Washed it on gentle cycle, cold tap water setting, and then dryed it by air. Came out nice!

Plus, apparently they have made the center agitators optional or removable, as they help get stains out, but can also be rough on fabrics. So, no agitator used to wash this car cover.

Shawn

GT Owner
Nov 27, 2018
PA
No big deal here I've washed mine a few times. Put in machine as you normally would any article of clothing. I dry by hanging outside, not in dryer. Don't know if that would cause an issue just easier because of size.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
special note: if you happen to have an early black cover, whatever you do, don't wash it!!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Washed and re-applied

IMG_4767.jpg

Reactions: Hydra GT

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Washed mine and tucked it back in the original bag. Follow the instructions above, wash on cold and air dry.