Ford GT vs. Ferrari 360

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I posted the below thread on ferrarichat.com. It's only fair that I also hear from you all. Ok. I currently own a 2005 C6 Corvette and have been thinking of upgrading it. I have test driven quite a few cars including 2005 Ford GT, 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider, and a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo. I have now narrowed it down to the GT and the 360. I love both of these vehicles. The GT is faster, smoother, and retro cool...the 360 is more practical (more luggage space), sounds better, and is a convertible. As most of you know, the GT can be made into a convertible for a cool 38k (www.gtx1.com) but not sure I would want to do this. The stick shift in the GT is buttery smooth and the suspension dampens bumps unbelievably well. But the gated shifter in the 360 is so exact and precise, and how can anyone not like a Ferrari? The interiors are, in my opinion, very comparable but go in completely different directions. In some ways they are completely different cars. Obviously, all are fast but numbers are not the whole game...which car will give me the greatest satisfaction the majority of the time? After all, I get paid to be a doctor not based on faster lap times at the track. I know there is some bias here but would be interested in what any of you think? If I had the means (as Ferris Bueller says) I would have both...maybe one day but not now.
Slightly confused but enjoying it.

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Cyclenirvana said:
I posted the below thread on ferrarichat.com. It's only fair that I also hear from you all. Ok. I currently own a 2005 C6 Corvette and have been thinking of upgrading it. I have test driven quite a few cars including 2005 Ford GT, 2004 Ferrari 360 Spider, and a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo. I have now narrowed it down to the GT and the 360. I love both of these vehicles. The GT is faster, smoother, and retro cool...the 360 is more practical (more luggage space), sounds better, and is a convertible. As most of you know, the GT can be made into a convertible for a cool 38k (www.gtx1.com) but not sure I would want to do this. The stick shift in the GT is buttery smooth and the suspension dampens bumps unbelievably well. But the gated shifter in the 360 is so exact and precise, and how can anyone not like a Ferrari? The interiors are, in my opinion, very comparable but go in completely different directions. In some ways they are completely different cars. Obviously, all are fast but numbers are not the whole game...which car will give me the greatest satisfaction the majority of the time? After all, I get paid to be a doctor not based on faster lap times at the track. I know there is some bias here but would be interested in what any of you think? If I had the means (as Ferris Bueller says) I would have both...maybe one day but not now.
Slightly confused but enjoying it.

buy one of each?

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Cyclenirvana said:
...which car will give me the greatest satisfaction the majority of the time?....

Well, at this site, what do you bet you'll hear GT.

Ferraris are nice, and you will hear comments from people like "nice car," "nice ride," and so on. Drive the GT you'll get lots of WOWS and OH MY GOD comments. Ferrari is refined, restrained. GT is in your face. People will fall over themselves to see a GT (I had some guy coming screaming from across the street to see it - and then when you stop, you pull a crowd) - don't get that same feel for a Ferrari.

Life is so tough when we have to make such decisions. :lol

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
There is no decision here, drive both cars and you won't want to get out of the GT.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
AZGT said:
Well, at this site, what do you bet you'll hear GT.

Ferraris are nice, and you will hear comments from people like "nice car," "nice ride," and so on. Drive the GT you'll get lots of WOWS and OH MY GOD comments. Ferrari is refined, restrained. GT is in your face. People will fall over themselves to see a GT (I had some guy coming screaming from across the street to see it - and then when you stop, you pull a crowd) - don't get that same feel for a Ferrari.

Life is so tough when we have to make such decisions. :lol

Yeah. I agree. I can't get the GT off my mind. Terrible dilemma.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
abolfaz said:
There is no decision here, drive both cars and you won't want to get out of the GT.

Especially if you park it close to the Ferrari - or anything.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Ford GT vs.

The biggest preceived problem I have with Ferrari's is if you drive them they depreciate at an alarming rate. I have tried unsuccessfully over the past several years to get on the local Ferrari Dealer's waiting list for both the 360 and 430, and it seems if you don't own one, you can't buy one from this dealer, unless you want to buy a used one at a higher price than the original msrp. A basic life's principle keeps me from paying over msrp for any vehicle. Ferrari owners appear to be a very elitest group, which reminds me of pledging a college fraternity in the '60's. I hope to own a Ferrari someday, but it doesn't look very promising, based upon the pain involved. If you read any of the SEMA reviews of the GT roadster/T-Top/Hardtop (GTX1), or if you have seen the prototype in person, it totally satisfies most passions for a 430 Spyder, and there will only be a couple hundred made, which means you may never see one on the road, other than your own...which IMHO is the way it should be with a $200,000 car.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Aside from all of the good input from the forum members thus far, two main thoughts:

1. Having driven both, the GT is classically American, loads of bottom-end grunt, retro styling (the design is obviously timeless!!!), and race-car style but relatively average interior finish. The 360 is quick as hell, high-revving with that beautiful Italian musical engine, understated contemporary design, and finished a bit more nicely/for comfort inside in my view.

2. See the media section here in our forum for a couple of online comparisons of the GT and 430 (not a 360 and not a Spider, but I believe some of the non-performance comparisons are still valid). I remember Road and Track and Motor Trend both did these comparisons and I'm sure there are lots of others out there.

Bottom line: Get a new GT now, pick your color and lose the Mac radio if possible. Then buy your Spider down the road from one of the Ferrari guys who uses it currently as garage jewelry, they're already used and a bunch of them aren't being driven. Good luck!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Had both a 360 coupe and 360 Spyder as well as a F430 coupe. HAD them, loved them..the F430 was GREAT..the GT is greater, better more enjopyable (and yes less practical) but tons more fun to drive. As the psot above stated, GT drivers are much less pretrentious and snobbish and REAL basic car guys...Leno vs. Letterman...GO GT..america lives int he fast lane...

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
As a child I never had Ferrari pictures on my wall - it was Elvis and the GT40! I'm a Brit, so the GT doesn't resonate with me as much as it would if I were an American, but to me it is a legend, a classic and one of the most able sports cars available. Beyond that it is the most desirable line of any car I can think of. More I cannot add.

Porsches and Ferraris are 'ten a penny' over here - the GT is one in a million.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Asides from all the excellent reasons for owning the GT already posted...

This model is not part of an evolutionary model line. It stops here. Unlike the 355, 360, 430, 5nn.

One thing's for sure the GT is cetainly a cure for car envy!

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
KJD said:
Aside from all of the good input from the forum members thus far, two main thoughts:

1. Having driven both, the GT is classically American, loads of bottom-end grunt, retro styling (the design is obviously timeless!!!), and race-car style but relatively average interior finish. The 360 is quick as hell, high-revving with that beautiful Italian musical engine, understated contemporary design, and finished a bit more nicely/for comfort inside in my view.

2. See the media section here in our forum for a couple of online comparisons of the GT and 430 (not a 360 and not a Spider, but I believe some of the non-performance comparisons are still valid). I remember Road and Track and Motor Trend both did these comparisons and I'm sure there are lots of others out there.

Bottom line: Get a new GT now, pick your color and lose the Mac radio if possible. Then buy your Spider down the road from one of the Ferrari guys who uses it currently as garage jewelry, they're already used and a bunch of them aren't being driven. Good luck!

Yes. I have now driven both and read tons of reviews. I am leaning toward the GT and have been trying to locate a blue with white striped or solid black version without the Mac radio (as you are probably aware, if you don't get this radio you lose that awful subwoofer and in its place you get a nice storage pocket and a better view of the supercharger!) But I have at this point not been successful. Virtually all the Ford dealers seemed to have ordered these vehicles completely optioned out. If any of you know of any GTs like the above without the upgraded Mac radio please let me know!!!
Thanks for the advice.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
LEMANSZ said:
Had both a 360 coupe and 360 Spyder as well as a F430 coupe. HAD them, loved them..the F430 was GREAT..the GT is greater, better more enjopyable (and yes less practical) but tons more fun to drive. As the psot above stated, GT drivers are much less pretrentious and snobbish and REAL basic car guys...Leno vs. Letterman...GO GT..america lives int he fast lane...

I envy you...a F430 is only in my dreams. But thanks for your advice. Believe it or not, most people on Ferrarichat.com also favored the GT. So, if I can find what I am looking for (at MSRP or just over ?5K), I will go for it.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Neilda said:
As a child I never had Ferrari pictures on my wall - it was Elvis and the GT40! I'm a Brit, so the GT doesn't resonate with me as much as it would if I were an American, but to me it is a legend, a classic and one of the most able sports cars available. Beyond that it is the most desirable line of any car I can think of. More I cannot add.

Porsches and Ferraris are 'ten a penny' over here - the GT is one in a million.

Thanks!!

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Cyclenirvana said:
... have been trying to locate a blue with white striped or solid black version without the Mac radio...

Great choices. I doubt you will find one, unless you order, without the radio upgrade. Seems most of the dealers just said "do it all", since they make additional profit with upgrades and assumed eveyone would want all the junk. Chances are you can find a dealer that will order for you at MSRP or a little over.

Definitely keep watching eBay - every GT in the world shows up on there (or at least it seems like it). An 05 will be a better deal than an 06, especially an earlier one before the price markup. Now it matters for the model year, but in 10 years it won't matter.

Autotrader.com and Cars.com were also sites I looked at. Don't worry what it says the price is - just call them with a "would you take". They'll either say yes or no.

In October I did that with mine - called the dealer, said I will pay X amount, and they called back and said OK. With the changning market, I know that they had been offered what I bought it for earlier in the "madness" phase of pricing, but once they got to reality they took my offer. Another dealer that had turned down my offer (in October) called right after I committed to the other car and said they would also take my offer. Oh well, too late. They still have theirs. Oops.

Good luck - let us know when you have joined the ranks of the believers.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
I'm not American either, and I wasn't born when the GT40 won the races, so I have no concept of "this was the legend of my youth". However, that car to me was the purest line in any car ever made. So many cars copied that line and never equalled it.
So one day I decided that this was the car I would get, even if offered all the Porsches or Ferraris in the world...

Turned out I got the GT (not 40), Porsches since the 993 have started looking a lot better, the Dino still looks best (nice line :biggrin) back in Italy, and damn do all the Lambos kick ass visually.

But hey, drive the GT (I mean DRIVE -- well don't go crazy like 1 of 19 :cheers) and you forget everything.

PS: I don't know what you all like about the high whine of the Ferraris... the jetfighter whooosh of the GT gets me off so much more (and scares me shitless, as opposed to bitching about how the whine raps my eardrums)

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Doc (Cyclenirvana),

Get the GT! I had a Z-06 and traded it in. This car's ride is incredible. Vette's (C-5's and C-6's) are a dime a dozen. Ferrari's will kill you on maintainance costs, etc.
I immigrated to the US in 1968 and as a kid had all the models of the Ford GT-40 Gulf cars. The design of the GT-40 is timeless and has been stuck in my head ever since. If you have the means, by all means look seriously at the GT. Does your "screen name" have anything to do with motorcycles? I have 2 old Beemers (one with a sidecar). Happy hunting for your GT.

AC (Doc in TX)

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
there is no way I would consider a regular production ferrari over the GT.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I've driven all the cars discussed, and the thing that really impresses me about the GT is its combination of daily drive-ability and all-out track capability -- without any mods to help with the transition. I also LOVE the low-end torque compared to the mid-engine Ferraris. The 360 was downright anemic in this manner (the Stradale was much better). The F430 largely cured this issue, and I must admit that after driving the F430 I was like, "Well, now it's closer...but the GT is still the better performance machine."

Of course, all this doesn't take into account the car's heritage or style. Throw those in and it's game over!! Sorry Enzo.

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
I have the same "problem" :wink
Ordered the 430 six months before I bought the GT.
Now the Ferrari will be delivered in 2 month- it would be my first (before 20 years Porsche Turbo,) but
I like driving in the GT too much ,therefore I'll sell the Ferrari.