Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC

Last edited:

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Good looking but...

Hey, you're on top of the news man. First I have seen of it.

Is there any other views of it anywhere on the net?

Does it have a top somewhere?

Does this mean the Ford GT is extended beyond the '06 model year?

Is anyone going to the SEMA show who takes good pictures I could buy some pictures from?

Has anyone ridden in the car and does it have cowl shake?

Did they strengthen the chassis to make it a spyder?

Did they really need the humps? The original GT40 Mk. I roadster had a roof rollover hoop but no humps. I think they made four GT40 Mk. I roadsters, I have seen two of them, maybe the remaining two. One belongs to a customizer named Dean jeffries who just restored his after owning it for at least 25 years.

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
Actually the last production day is August 31, 2006.

This roadster is very cool, however it is a one-off custom job for the SEMA event and will not become available as a production model.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
KOOL BEANS :cheers I will be at SEMA, and post pictures of everything Ford GT related. One of the things I just hate about SEMA are all the models in the skimpy outfits. I wonder if I will get banned if I post any of those shots? :lol :biggrin :biggrin

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
Looks good! :thumbsup

I can't wait to see some more photos of it :biggrin

Bony: I can't wait to see those SEMA pics! SEMA always has that energy about it! :banana

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Isn't the reason production will stop due to some new head impact safety regulation? If there is no roof, your head won't hit it in an accident. Could be ford's way of getting at least another year of production.

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
satx said:
Isn't the reason production will stop due to some new head impact safety regulation? If there is no roof, your head won't hit it in an accident. Could be ford's way of getting at least another year of production.
I don't think so, the new laws concerns side airbags (so I've read somewhere)

I honestly don't like it!!!
It's suddenly a bit of hair dressers car, and not a pure breed race car...

:ack I suppose I'll get some stick now

HJP

GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 13, 2005
Chicago
I agree. I think FMC's next focus, besides overall survival and selling more vehicles will be the GR-1, a really hot car and it is getting similar treatment to that of the GT in the couple of years prceeding it's introduction.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Isn't a 2 year production run about what Ford said they would do with the various retro cars - T-Bird, Ford GT, etc.

Dave

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
From edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107770#2

Note the following:

Although the automaker has no production plans for the GTX1, Ford spokesman Alan Hall told Inside Line that the Gennadi Group is prepared to make a similar conversion for GT owners who want the topless treatment.

Hmmmm.... :biggrin

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Jeremy Nobhead Clarkson would ofcourse fit nicley in the Spider :lol

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
On the Matter of Rarity

Don't shoot down an open version so fast.Didja know that when automakers have a few dozen regulations to meet that they can choose a few and say "We choose not to meet that one?"
The reason for this is that there has to be different kinds of cars so the government gives some leeway. Not that many present convertibles would meet rollover standards so many automakers choose that regulation to opt out of. So maybe Ford could say
"On the Ford GT we choose not to go for rool rollover requirements"
just as they got out of a crash test (though I am sure the car is safer than most cars in that regard).

Also on competitive sales, I am sure Ferrari runs over 50% open cars on the F450 compared to closed cars so an open Ford GT would pick up sales and maintain a hot market (i.e. higher than MSRP) right to the end of the buildout.

And one more possibility, if there' s no room for side airbags because of the lack of room in the doors, guess what we can do without? Roll-up windows. I know, I know you hate side curtains but if it would give us a topless GT I'd be all for it. In case you think no one would buy such an ancient concept in a car, there's another Ford powered car with aluminum body, Ford V8 , open top and side curtainsthat even when it's 40 years old sells for roughly 45-50 times its original price:the A.C. Cobra

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
But they did get an exemption on the crash test...

...which is remarkable because usually that excemption is claimed by little tiny companies that say it would break the bank if they had to crash one. And yet even the Shelby Series I, once projected at 500 cars but more like a final build approaching 250, didn't get out of the crash test.
So Ford getting out of it was a major money saver, so I think since the '07 could be another model year, they could ask for one of the sticking points stopping the new model to be removed as their exemption.

Another wild card is that DeTomaso is defunct, Lincoln Mercury dealers have nothing anybody wants except their SUV so Ford could buy DeTomaso for a song, rebody the Ford GT as the new Pantera (or Pantoona as my friend likes to call them...) and bring it back to LM showrooms for a replay of 1971 (hopefully with better results...)

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
centerpunch said:
http://www.autoblog.com/entry/1234000770065082/

(If they are going to make these, I think the market for coupes will get very ugly very fast. Assuming it has some kind of top, I'd weasel out of my coupe order and get one of these, if only so I don't have to put up with the goofy coupe doors...........)

Goofy or not, those doors are part of what make it special. The car is, after all, supposed to evoke memories of the LeMans racer, which the roadster would not do.

Cool Runnin'

GT Owner
Oct 6, 2005
Miami Beach
I don't really like them either. It's not great having to wonder if I'll be able to park at my destination. It's not like parallel parking is all that easy either given the blind spots. Small price to pay though.

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I think the doors actual make it easy to get to get into the car. Without "falling in from the top, I am not sure how I would be able to get in the car. After you get in and out a few hundred times you may realize the functionality of the doors (parking be damned).

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
The 1964 commercial shows it all

Dunlop tire which the Ford GT team ran in '64 recently had a TV commercial that shows the GT40s at the Ring, airborne and all, and in one scene Phil Hill opens the door and drops straight down into the car.

So that was the idea--never thinking of cars parked next to you in street parking situations.

i gues complaining about the doors is like buying a Mutang P-51 airplane and converting it to a civilian plane and then complaining its design is uncomfortable. It was made to win a war, period.

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
saber said:
I think the doors actual make it easy to get to get into the car. Without "falling in from the top, I am not sure how I would be able to get in the car. After you get in and out a few hundred times you may realize the functionality of the doors (parking be damned).

Agreed. The door layout allows you to go down into the car, as opposed to having to get in sideways with a very large sidestep into the cockpit (e.g. the latest Viper)

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Still don't like it...

fordification

Aug 9, 2005
bitzman said:
i gues complaining about the doors is like buying a Mustang P-51 airplane and converting it to a civilian plane and then complaining its design is uncomfortable. It was made to win a war, period.

Wow, very good observation.

bitzman said:
Dunlop tire which the Ford GT team ran in '64 recently had a TV commercial that shows the GT40s at the Ring, airborne and all, and in one scene Phil Hill opens the door and drops straight down into the car.

know where I could find that commercial?