Ford GT Floor Jack Applicability

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
If I have missed a discussion elsewhere on floor jacks for use with the GT, I apologize. If not, I have been researching the floor jack issue all over the Internet and have found only one jack to date which will fit comfortably and with lots of clearance under the GT, and will reach the angled 22 inches or so from the sides of the car to the front and rear lift point holes. I bought the jack and tried it out. It works GREAT, but you need the lifting pads sold by GTSaver, or some other type of elevated and properly sized pad to be safe (and to have clearance to remove belly pans). I made my own temporary pads. It weighs about 116 pounds, so is a bit to handle. I contacted a number of jack servicing operations, and the unit is serviceable/rebuildable if you have troubles after warranty. Buy it with your credit card and you'll usually get the warranty doubled. It is not US made, but I figured it was worth a try. If it holds up, it is a great deal for this car.

Brand: ATD (Made by Shinn Fu) (Shinn Fu Model 29023)
Jack Model: ATD-7325
Moniker: 2 Ton Tuner Edition Low Profile Service Jack
Jack Height at Pad: 2.5 Inches
Jack Height 19.5 Inches back from Center of Pad: 3.5 Inches
(This is the back of the lift arm to the center of the lift pad)
Jack Height 26 Inches back form Center of Pad: 3.5 Inches
Maximum Height at Rear of Jack: 6.5 Inches
Overall Length: 42.25 Inches
Width: 13.75 Inches
Outside Diameter of lift Pad: 5 Inches
Inside Diameter of Lift Pad: 4 3/16 Inches

www.shinnfu.com/product_branch_category_final.php?p_no=1336&b_no=5&p_class2=396

http://www.atdtools.com/showitem.php?item_id=7325

Pricing: $344.00 List; I paid $197.00 (picked up locally in Minneapolis, Delegard Tools) from ToolDesk.com. The local O'Reilly store wanted $248.00; Others varied. The distributor of ATD Tools wanted $230.00 including freight.

I spoke with the folks at the Troy assembly plant, and they said they used the Sears Craftsman aluminum low profile racing jack for tire changes, etc., but I'll be darned if I can figure where they lifted them (except one spot behind the front wheel on the pan, and possibly just forward of the rear edge of the door, again on the pan). The jack will not reach under the car to the inboard front and rear frame holes.

AC Hydraulics (Denmark) also makes one (DK13HLQ) that might work, but it appears to have a 5.5 Inch height at the 22 Inch mark. To clear the outside edge of the GT it needs to be less than about 4.8 Inches. So, I am not sure this jack will fit comfortably. The jack is also more than 2.5 times the ATD price. If someone has one, let us know if it fits.

Any other recommendations would be appreciated, I am sure.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Dickhead (sorry, I just couldn't resist), Neilda has an old post about jacks and Analogdesigner also has some discussion. Some of the jacks were quite expensive. Best suggestion was some floor ramps to drive on to and raise the car about three inches. Analog has some links on his website. I bought the Sears, but haven't had time to try it out.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
No Ramps Needed to Lift

fjpikul said:
Dickhead (sorry, I just couldn't resist), Neilda has an old post about jacks and Analogdesigner also has some discussion. Some of the jacks were quite expensive. Best suggestion was some floor ramps to drive on to and raise the car about three inches. Analog has some links on his website. I bought the Sears, but haven't had time to try it out.

I guarantee you your Sears jack will not be able to reach the "correct lifting points" as outlined by Analogdesigner (GTSaver). This ATD-7325 jack is absolutely perfect for the car, and will reach with ease and plenty of clearance the "correct lifting points". Could you please give me the link to Neilda's post? Thanks.

Edit: No ramps are needed to get lift clearance with this ATD-7325 jack!

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please do a search for floor jack. His was a Seely, He posted a pic with data.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Antone using ramps instead?

How about this model?

http://www.discountramps.com/low_profile_car_ramp.htm

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
ACRJoe said:

The ramps look good, but as I said, you don't need them to raise the car about 20 inches with the ATD-7325 jack. Plus, ramps are great if you only raise the front or back.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
fjpikul said:
Please do a search for floor jack. His was a Seely, He posted a pic with data.

I did the search and found a reference with a picture. From the picture, I'd say you still need ramps for lifting the car to get to the center lift spots as identified by analogdesigner (GTSaver.com). Take a look at the links I recently posted to the Shinn Fu and ADT Tools sites, and notice the difference in the jack design.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Bluepoint! Bluepoint! Bluepoint! Bluepoint!
They have the awesome Racing jacks. I haven't tried mine with the GT yet, but they are awesome. I got mine in a promotion that included 2 jack stands with every jack. They are aluminum and anodized blue, and match my stripes! :biggrin

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
ROCMAN said:
Bluepoint! Bluepoint! Bluepoint! Bluepoint!
They have the awesome Racing jacks. I haven't tried mine with the GT yet, but they are awesome. I got mine in a promotion that included 2 jack stands with every jack. They are aluminum and anodized blue, and match my stripes! :biggrin

Do they have the round tops, and could you post a link. The ultimate Garage site has aluminum jacks that come with standard, round or both tops. 6000 lb. capacity, and they do look nice. They are not cheap...

http://www.ultimategarage.com/hmach.html

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Here' a link.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...group_ID=19931&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
No pics there though. I will try to take a pic.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
floor jacks

All:
'Just rec'd my 2-1/2" high 'jack from www.tooltopia.com. On the operating instructions manual it says it's an "OMEGA", but it's model # is 29023 ... which I THINK is exactly the model number mentioned in a post above under "Shinsu Industries, or whatever the heck it was. Anyway - 'pbly the exact same jack.
ToolTopia gets $200.99 for it - FREIGHT INCL in the cont. U.S.!!
'Haven't tried to lift my GT with it yet because I had to wait 2C what size the lifting pad was on it B4 I ordered lifting pads from Jay @ GtSaver (4" I.D. on that pad as it turns out). BUT, I did slide the puppy under my GT, and it's a PIECE OF CAKE!!!!! TONS of clearance.
'Has a nice rubber(?) "sleeve" around it's jacking handle so that if you screw up & bang the handle against your car you'll pbly not cause any damage. (FYI: if you order wunna these, there may be a loose "bolt" laying in the box rattling around somewere. THAT is for securing the jack handle TO the jack itself so you can pull the jack around w/o the handle pulling out of it's "socket". Your's may come with that bolt partly screwed into it's proper hole ... but, mine had fallen out. You'll see what I mean if you get one.) (Oh. And the "vent screw" they refer to in the "destructions" is under the flat, black plate on the TOP of the jack body. They don't tell yuh or SHOW yuh where 'tis ... they just say "locate" it ['bozos]. 'Plate just "pops" right off. )

E.P.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Makes you wonder why the Chinese won't hire good proofreaders.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Proofreaders

They don't need 'em for stuff they send over here ... us yanks can figger dang near ennythin out if'n we wants tuh. :banana Besides, you wouldn't wanna cut into their slim profit margin, now would yuh? :willy

E.P.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Many years ago I had a Kawasaki Z1100 (mo'cycle) and throughout the owners manual they had miss-typed 'shifting' and 'shift' to 'shitting' and 'shit'.

I should have kept it, almost a collectors item!

'When shitting in traffic' 'do not shit without depressing clutch' 'fast shits' etc etc

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
Empty Pockets said:
All:
'Just rec'd my 2-1/2" high 'jack from www.tooltopia.com. On the operating instructions manual it says it's an "OMEGA", but it's model # is 29023 ... which I THINK is exactly the model number mentioned in a post above under "Shinsu Industries, or whatever the heck it was. Anyway - 'pbly the exact same jack.
ToolTopia gets $200.99 for it - FREIGHT INCL in the cont. U.S.!!
'Haven't tried to lift my GT with it yet because I had to wait 2C what size the lifting pad was on it B4 I ordered lifting pads from Jay @ GtSaver (4" I.D. on that pad as it turns out). BUT, I did slide the puppy under my GT, and it's a PIECE OF CAKE!!!!! TONS of clearance.
E.P.

The very same jack as the ATD-7325, it appears. Brand: ATD (Made by Shinn Fu) (Shinn Fu Model 29023). And you are right...it fits beautifully under the GT...and it should fit even the lowered cars. I think GT Saver's pad is a 5" pad, but I think Jay said he could shave it down. The price you got on the jack including shipping is great, since the jack weighs about 117 lbs. Replace the handle retention screws with some stainless hex or wing nuts...the Phillips screws they give you are not good. If Jay's pads can't be made to fit, use hockey pucks (about a buck apiece...I use them on my Corvettes all the time), drill a pilot hole 2/3 through the puck, and put a nylon screw or nylon hex bolt in the hole to "center" the puck in the GT's lift point holes.

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
I was looking at getting the jack discussed in this post (ATD/Omega). Has anyone had one long enough to make any comments on it, or offer up ideas on another. Thanks, David.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I was looking at getting the jack discussed in this post (ATD/Omega). Has anyone had one long enough to make any comments on it, or offer up ideas on another. Thanks, David.

Well ...now that you mention it ...!

ALL IS FINE NOW - BUT: 'first time I used my Tool Topia supplied jack, it puked hyd oil all over the floor the instant I applied down force to the handle to raise the car...and, of coarse, the car didn't budge. 'Called Tool Topia ... they gave me the # for the U.S. distributer ...'called THEM ...they sent me a complete replacement hyd cyl (free of coarse)... I installed the replacement - Bob's yur Uncle. Works fine now.

You DO have to "bare down" on the jack handle of this brand of jack to "lift" the car, as the darn jack seems to have a "competition/race lift ratio" built into it (one big pump & you're there kinda deal). But, it does work slick (now!).

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
It also looks to be very heavy and difficult to move around. Was hoping someone had found a lighter aluminum jack with the same reach and ultra low floor height, but easier to raise. Any comments on the weight? Maybe it's better it's so heavy.

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
All,

I just ordered one. Thanks for all of the info! Jay

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Any comments on the weight? Maybe it's better it's so heavy.

I don't know if it's heft makes it necessarily "better" ...but, I can tell yuh it IS heavy!!!!!:lol
'Darn thing is not 'easily' manhandled, but it's not unmanageable. 'Just kinda awkward.