Ford GT at Big Bend Open Road Race

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Was very nice to see Donnie at this years BBORR. Here is a picture as we wait in line to run.

Attachments

• DSCN5908.jpg
    DSCN5908.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 1,025

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
what class and speed are you guys running in? i have been wanting to do this in my Viper for a very long time. but i have too many toys and too lil time. maybe next year....

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Freddy,

We ran in the 125mph with a top speed of 140mph because our race car blew the clutch in practice. We ran my co-drivers 2013 Boss Laguna Seca. That speed was a cruise in the park for that car. Car did not have a roll bar so we were limited to that speed for safety reasons. Calling Cool Tech soon to order roll bar and harnesses for my 2013 Shelby. Then can run in the 145mph with top speed of 168mph if we choose, or the race car breaks next year. We take a two car trailer with a throwdown car "Just in Case". haha
Donnie in the GT was in our class also. He was bringing the Texas Flag GT which has the safety equipment to run the higher class, but it developed a vibration just before and he sent it to Shelby to repair. His second car is the Yellow GT. Neatest thing was Donnie brought both of his sons this year and each one won something.

Come on out, you can show up friday and tech the car and run Saturday. Problem is the race fills in 2 days with the maximum 160 participants. Signup is the first of Jan.

Larry

WWW.BBORR.COM

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have been down those roads in an SUV. Would be fun in the GT.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Anyone see this car? 197mph? Damn!

[video=youtube;rPscps7RNIg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPscps7RNIg[/video]

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Luke,

Yep a friend of ours from Austin, TX. Had a fresh engine in it this year and had a few bugs. Won it two years ago. It was built just for this. His navigator is a female friend who is about 50 yrs old, 5 foot nothing and loves the speed. He inserted a toe hold bar in the floorboard for her to hook her feet under because of the G's. Has been 200+ mph thru the radar traps. Finished 4th this year.

Thugboat

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Luke

A couple of pictures of it. One is us at the local elementary school. Part of the activities of the week is a visit there for the kids. The second is in line up to start the race. The primered Corvair was second this year with a top speed thru the traps at 207+ mph.

Attachments

• BBoRRvair.jpg
    BBoRRvair.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 729
  • BBORR40.jpg
    BBORR40.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 448

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
That is hauling the mail! I would love to do this race. Are the roads pretty clean and free of gravel? I have been pondering the Silver State for a couple years but heard that they grooved the center line. That seems like that would not be good at speed to cross.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Luke,

They are very serious about the road and make 3-4 trips that morning checking for debris or anything. Two planes and a helicopter travel it all day.
We have a friend who drives his COBRA down from Greely each year (has won his class several times) 730 miles each way. He says this is much easier/safer than Silver State. Less puckering in the corners. Less tight corners. In a true race car there are only a handfull of corners that you would be below 150 mph.
The issue with this race many have is they are very serious about the Unlimited Class. I think even Ray tried to get in it one year but they like you to run a couple of years in a slower class to get familiar with the road. Do not know if they would let anyone show up and run Unlimited. Maybe with a thick race logbook and set down with the race organizers.

Larry

BTW- Rumor is Silver State may eliminate the Unlimited class or reserve it only for those who have run it before.

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Ah, no way I would wish to enter unlimited first time out. Maybe Grand Touring. My fear always has been that I drive a 1000 miles to one of these events with trailer and car in tow and then and not able to run because of some tech issue. Each time I have attempted to reach out to the organizers and ask a few questions related to the GT40 and tech issues, I get a response that says oh everything will be fine just go ahead and sign up. If I could speak with someone who could give me some specifics related to the GT40 I will be more confident making the trip and feeling like there would not be issues on tech day.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
We have become VERY good friends with one of the organizers, Kenda. She will just refer you to tech. After 4 years of this we are pretty familiar with the do's and don'ts. They will be mostly interested in your car having an internal roll bar. Or roll Cage. Fire ext. handy. Seatbelts in date. And all your safety gear up to date. Tires rated for your speed class. The safety stuff is easy. The roll bar/cage will be the issue. With the other GT40 running unlimited it will gease the door to get in. After having an issue with my Cobra two years ago I purchased a two car hauler and take a throwdown car in case of any issues. This year the 2013 Boss Laguna Seca was our throwdown and when we had clutch problems we teched it. Only thing that kept us out of the 145 avg. mph with 168 tech speed was not having a cooltech roll bar.

They do spend 6 months planning and organizing this race so once it is over they take a few months off.

Signup when it opens and we will work the details out. The highest pucker factor I achieve in a car nowadays is when you are running 140 mph up hill in the on-coming lane in a off camber turn as you apex the turn and your brain screams "Watch Out"

Larry

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Mine does have a roll bar but not a cage. As I understand that is good enough for the Grand Touring class?

2011092809.jpg