Ford GT-40 Cover Story: Oct '06 Classic & Sportscar Magazine:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Kingveloce said:
Not so fast! The width figure you have quoted for the Jaguar (and this is the only figure relevant to this debate) is from door mirror to door mirror. When the mirrors are folded the Jag is 73.3 inches wide... or, to put it another way, slimmer than the GT.

More importantly, I wouldn't want to drive either down a seriously narrow English country lane.

Makes sense to not count the mirrors. Most drivers nowadays are apparently unaware they exist anyway! :lol

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Kingveloce said:
I almost forgot, I've just checked out the dictionary definition of sedan.

se·dan or se·dan chair n
in the 17th and 18th centuries, an enclosed chair carried by porters at the front and rear on two long poles passed through handles on the sides of the box

So top speed, say 3mph? No wonder we European stick to saloon. :lol

Hilarious! I love it. [Look up the definition of politician some time]

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Heaven On Earth

Red Rocket said:
Hey Spirit! It seems Texans have elevated saloons to their highest art form - it's no wonder so many Germans wanna be Texans!! I have many friends and clients in Dallas, and I always enjoy visits down there. Texans have a great 'can-do' attitude, even more-so than most Americans, and that is saying a lot. The women can be stunning also.
AGREED!!!:thumbsup
Rocket, glad you to hear that you appreciate the finer things in life.:usa

Saloons & GTs; can't think of a much better duo. And then add in those beautiful Texas women, this is heaven on earth.:biggrin

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
As the GT is a classic and, given it's most definitely a sports car, I would have thought it qualified in just about every sense to be included in classic and sports car. Kit cars are not exactly 'classic' - not to me. I haven't read the article (can't be bothered) but did someone quote that the author had written that the GT is too American??! Uh, hello? That's the whole point - the blue collar car that beat Ferrari... the epitome of muscular American engineering and beautifully built. It's a showcase of what the USA can produce if they're allowed to by the bean counters.

I can only speak from having owned (and owning) many exotic cars - I guess a journalist who only borrows them for an afternoon has a different perspective and must, of course, pander to the readership.

I have happily driven the GT in England - Surrey, Sussex, Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Wiltshire, Dorset.... and have yet to have any problems, moreover I have enjoyed every moment. Before the GT I had a Murcielago which was possibly even wider.

Of course there are narrow streets and roads, however these do not detract from the ownership or driving experience. When out for a drive I don't deliberately take any valuable car down single track roads if I can help it.... :biggrin

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
BigsGT said:
I agree with the difficulty reading the yellow font. I've also noticed that Rocman's huge sig pic causes me to have to scroll laterally when reading any thread in which he posts.

Not trying to be confrontational, it's just if my posts were creating similar difficulties I would want to know.

Biggs

Sorry Bigs! :cheers
I had no idea that would mess up anyone's display. I changed it back to my smaller one. Any more problems, let me know.

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
OKay you guys, NBelida is an Englishman, owns a GT, and you've read his input. GTs rock, Classic British Car magazines, don't! Enjoy you fine GT everyday!

:thumbsup

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Just Noticed Rocket's Print Color

Rocket,

By the way, thanks for changing the color of your text, I can now actually read it.
:biggrin :thumbsup :cheers :banana :bow

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Nothing pleases me more than making you guys happy....er.. well, maybe there are two or three things that are better, but.... :cheers :thumbsup

Last edited:

Kingveloce

GT Owner
May 14, 2006
London, England
Neilda said:
I haven't read the article (can't be bothered) but did someone quote that the author had written that the GT is too American??! Uh, hello? That's the whole point - the blue collar car that beat Ferrari... the epitome of muscular American engineering and beautifully built. It's a showcase of what the USA can produce if they're allowed to by the bean counters.

Neilda, as a Brit you ought to be ashamed of yourself. The blue collar car that beat Ferrari, the GT40, was designed and built in Britain. OK, it used American money, but we can claim it as ours! :lol

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
It did start out as a Lola, in the same way that Elle MacPherson started life as a gawky teenager....

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Kingveloce said:
Neilda, as a Brit you ought to be ashamed of yourself. The blue collar car that beat Ferrari, the GT40, was designed and built in Britain. OK, it used American money, but we can claim it as ours! :lol

I thought the Brit GT40 DNF'ed every race until the Americans (Carroll Shelby) got in the game with more than just their money, no?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Touche, Neilda. Excellent!

1st pint on me! How many pints can you drink on a Monday Afternoon? 1 ?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I reckon I could do a few!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
Super, a mini pub crawl!