Ford Cobra Concept

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
I know the Cobra Concept wasn't that well received by many, but I actually liked it. It used quite a few of the GT's parts and it's a shame nobody had interest in the car. Ford could have easily built it.

I found the "Rides" episode where they filmed the entire process of building the new Cobra and I thought you guys might like to see it again. It has Dutch sub titles but they don't distract too much.

Here's the link!:cheers Parts 1-5

http://www.youtube.com/user/JustinsDiecasts

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Sweet .....I love that car. Got to see it run at Pomona when they where getting sound for the XXX movie, Very fast even as a PT. I sure wish they had built it. I took me some time to get used to. The Rear and sides are excellent, but the front seamed to look like it was sad:confused. I think that was the one element that kept it from having more appeal.

2005FordGT

Ford GT. It's The One.
Aug 8, 2005
New York
I agree, it definitely needed some design changes in certain places but Ford shouldn't have canceled the whole idea altogether.

J Mays said in a later interview that he had always thought the car looked too German which in a way I can see. He said it looked like a Cobra TT.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
As I recall the target price was $100,000. If true they would have sold a bunch. It would have looked great sitting next to the GT.:frown

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
My pick was the GR-1

Attachments

• new_005.jpg
    new_005.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 114

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Yup, it needed the Blue with White stripe Daytona Coupe theme for me, But Dodge already borrowed it for the Viper Coupe, which seamed to get closer to this design in the last edition. I really fell in love with the 96 Viper coupe. Kinda Daytona Couple Meets Cobra...with all them buldges.

The interior of the GR-1 was not right yet IMO. I'm not sure what they were trying to do with it. It needed our look inside. I think they tried to add too much Aston to it.

Now if Ford were to not be as exotic with the Cobra concept and just build it as a fun car for more folks, it could be a real hit, they should have done this one over the Tbird.

All it needs is the Mustang V8 and, with a light chassis it would still rock in power to weight ratio. A lot more takers at $45k than $100k. But in the same breath, I am not so sure I would want to go mid class with a Legend. Lots of success with the Miata, this would be the Man Racer Miata. Should be easy and cheap to build this way. No AC, no Side windows, No roof, Raw like the original.