for how long are they building the GT500?

04SVTCobra

Mar 27, 2006
Tampa, Fl.
Does anyone know for how many years has Ford said they are going to build the Shelby GT500?

1 or 2 years?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
I have heard from several sources two years, 8,000 vehicles per year. I heard three years from another source.

I traded in my 03 cobra for my GT. I miss my cobra. It was a daily driver. The GT is once a week if I'm lucky. Advantages and disadvantages to having such a cool car. You are Clark Kent on the non GT days and Superman/Celebrity on the GT days.

You can never fillup your car quickly due to the crowd that gathers at the gas pump. Don't ever fillup your car when you are in a hurry.

Last edited:

bitzman

Permanent Vacation
Oct 7, 2005
Not that many

Even over three years 8000 a year is not that many cars. Here's why, in the heyday of the muscle car Chevy sold 20,000 Z28s in a single year.Three years at 8000 would only be 24,000. Also the Shelby will be a lot more reachable than the Ford GT so have a larger audience.
And of course ol'Shelby will be promoting it, God willing

But what happened to the two seater Cobra concept roadster and coupe?
If Chrysler brings out the Firepower at $90,000, Ford needs another 190 mph supercar to counter that, and Chrysler could do it easily if they just rebody the Viper. In fact I think it's slick enough to hurt sales of Aston Martins. Too bad they can't call it the Firepower (name tied up)

LR 01 Cobra

May 26, 2006
Cincinnati Ohio
I was told 4, maybe 5 years depending on sales! 40K+ cars total.

Tim

LR 01 Cobra

May 26, 2006
Cincinnati Ohio
92NSX said:
I've heard it is going to be around 8k total units.

I bet my numbers are closer than yours! :cheers
you say 8K I say 42K! Time will tell.

Tim :thumbsup

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords reported that they will build 7500-8000 per year for three years.

http://mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0606w_2007_shelby_gt500_test_drive/

Last edited:

LR 01 Cobra

May 26, 2006
Cincinnati Ohio
We are both wrong! 2 years that's the deal Ford has with Carol Shelby, got that info from SVT!

Tim :wink

Doc

Huge ****ing Crybaby
May 15, 2006
LR 01 Cobra said:
got that info from SVT!

Link?

rmartin175

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 15, 2006
Delaplane, Virginia
LR 01 Cobra said:
We are both wrong! 2 years that's the deal Ford has with Carol Shelby, got that info from SVT!

Tim :wink
Just got back from my visit with Ford Marketing folks the other day. My understanding is two years, 4500 cars per year. BUT, contract with Shelby is dynamic due to Ford trying to get as much as they can out of the Shelby connection right now. That, plus the recent contract for Shelby to produce in their facility for the 1st time in 40 years about 8000 GT's starting in the next month or so, plus the plan to do a 2007 GT-H convertible, puts lots on the plate for Shelby and Ford. I would watch for a 2008 Shelby GT500KR version too! Also look for an updated body style... getting a little long in the tooth on current style.

Last edited:

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Hey DBK.

DBK,
You're the insider, what's the real story. I'm going to buy a GT500 and am waiting (like I did for my GT) for the price to come down to MSRP. Late next year probably. Is 2 years or 3 years correct??

Chip

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ChipBeck said:
DBK,
You're the insider, what's the real story. I'm going to buy a GT500 and am waiting (like I did for my GT) for the price to come down to MSRP. Late next year probably. Is 2 years or 3 years correct??

Chip

Somebody offered two at MSRP on this site today, do a search.
Glad the Kirkham is running well :biggrin Happy Turkey Day to you and yours :banana

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
8000 a year

8000 a year? What are they afraid to sell to many cars? In there (Ford) condition take the money and run! I wrote a note in the GT section about Ford and their screwy logic.. Hell they sold 463000 mustangs in 64, I don't get it. It might help the dealers cause they can sell over sticker...What about us?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974&page=4&pp=10

reprint here.....

What would it take for Ford to keep running GT's?

Lets face it the GT is a world class car, produced by a company that is struggling to gain market share and set it self up in peoples mind for producing world class cars. This car surpasses so many sports cars and exotics, I wonder how Ford would have evolved the design in the years to come?
Cruise control, T-roof, more power V10 ? If GM can sell Corvettes and make money and DMC sells Vipers and Prowlers, in my mind this would be a model that would be safe from the other car makers and would be the one to beat. That is a great position to be in as a car maker. I have had many car owners say they would have ordered one but didn't know about it till after they bought something else. Ford must like the model, they still have a 06 on their 07 model website.

Has there ever been any thought if directed mail effort would help keep the model alive? Or what would it take to have them change there mind in the Glass House? I remember NBC added a 3rd season to Star Trek in the 60's because of a letter campaign, the rest is history. Perhaps we don't want the GT to come back, maybe it would hurt the value?

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BELIZE91 said:
8000 a year? What are they afraid to sell to many cars? In there (Ford) condition take the money and run! I wrote a note in the GT section about Ford and their screwy logic.. Hell they sold 463000 mustangs in 64, I don't get it. It might help the dealers cause they can sell over sticker...What about us?

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=974&page=4&pp=10

reprint here.....

What would it take for Ford to keep running GT's?

Lets face it the GT is a world class car, produced by a company that is struggling to gain market share and set it self up in peoples mind for producing world class cars. This car surpasses so many sports cars and exotics, I wonder how Ford would have evolved the design in the years to come?
Cruise control, T-roof, more power V10 ? If GM can sell Corvettes and make money and DMC sells Vipers and Prowlers, in my mind this would be a model that would be safe from the other car makers and would be the one to beat. That is a great position to be in as a car maker. I have had many car owners say they would have ordered one but didn't know about it till after they bought something else. Ford must like the model, they still have a 06 on their 07 model website.

Has there ever been any thought if directed mail effort would help keep the model alive? Or what would it take to have them change there mind in the Glass House? I remember NBC added a 3rd season to Star Trek in the 60's because of a letter campaign, the rest is history. Perhaps we don't want the GT to come back, maybe it would hurt the value?

The current GT does not meet safety new safety standards. Obviously Ford flooded the market, it appears that there are about 600 unsold GT's. Any idea how many Ferraris are sold in North America a year?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
bony said:
The current GT does not meet safety new safety standards. Obviously Ford flooded the market, it appears that there are about 600 unsold GT's. Any idea how many Ferraris are sold in North America a year?

Ford sold 102 GT's in October '06. We'll see what they did in November, tomorrow. Hopefully the number is getting smaller fast. And hope that some of those are dealer held with no plans to sell, or at least not for less than $30K over, or something else ridiculous.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
SYCO GT said:
Ford sold 102 GT's in October '06. We'll see what they did in November, tomorrow. Hopefully the number is getting smaller fast. And hope that some of those are dealer held with no plans to sell, or at least not for less than $30K over, or something else ridiculous.

The dealers only get what the market is willing to pay, I wanted to be the first kid on my block with a GT, I paid way of list... I am happy, no crying in my beer. I would do it again tomorrow. Ordered my in 2002! :biggrin :cheers :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Lets face it the GT is a world class car...
Has there ever been any thought if directed mail effort would help keep the model alive? ... Perhaps we don't want the GT to come back, maybe it would hurt the value?[/QUOTE]

Not that I have any "insider info" or anything, but, logic would dictate that the GT's will depreciate some over the next year or two ( like ANY car does, lets face it), and then, after a number of 'em have been wrapped around bullards :frown , telephone poles :frown , and whatever else, and what remains of the "new car" inventory at dealerships is sold, the price of GT's will begin climbing again - UNLESS FORD BUILDS AN ENCORE CAR. Then all bets would be off.

I said back in 1973 when I sold my 1970, LS-6, Chevelle SS454 that IT would be worth $100,000 by the year 2000. In December of 1999, it's PRESENT owner called me to verify I was it's "origional owner" ... and he told me he'd just bought it for - you guessed it - $100,000. NOW I'm predicting these GT's, in perfect, origional, low mileage, unmolested, undamaged condition will bring at least $500K in about 20 years... maybe in less time than that since it's "sticker" price was so much more than the "average car" to begin with.

'Guess we'll see, huh????

E.P.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Empty Pockets said:
Lets face it the GT is a world class car...
Has there ever been any thought if directed mail effort would help keep the model alive? ... Perhaps we don't want the GT to come back, maybe it would hurt the value?

Not that I have any "insider info" or anything, but, logic would dictate that the GT's will depreciate some over the next year or two ( like ANY car does, lets face it), and then, after a number of 'em have been wrapped around bullards :frown , telephone poles :frown , and whatever else, and what remains of the "new car" inventory at dealerships is sold, the price of GT's will begin climbing again - UNLESS FORD BUILDS AN ENCORE CAR. Then all bets would be off.

I said back in 1973 when I sold my 1970, LS-6, Chevelle SS454 that IT would be worth $100,000 by the year 2000. In December of 1999, it's PRESENT owner called me to verify I was it's "origional owner" ... and he told me he'd just bought it for - you guessed it - $100,000. NOW I'm predicting these GT's, in perfect, origional, low mileage, unmolested, undamaged condition will bring at least $500K in about 20 years... maybe in less time than that since it's "sticker" price was so much more than the "average car" to begin with.

E.P.[/QUOTE]

How many 1970 LS-6's were made, back in 70 did anyone ever think these cars would appreciate?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
bony said:

E.P.

How many 1970 LS-6's were made, back in 70 did anyone ever think these cars would appreciate?[/QUOTE]

I don't recall how many were made. But it wasn't many! And, YES. Anybody with a brain that worked KNEW they'd be worth a fortune because the LS-6 was the LAST - AND BIGGEST HP - "hi-pro" offering GM had ever made (up to that time ... the ZO6 427 only NOW[!] surpasses it), and EPA "dictates" spelled the end to the high HP CARS of that era ...NOT TO MENTION THE LOVELY INSURANCVE COMPANIES. So, ya, virtually ANY "car savy" person could read the writing on the wall for these cars FUTURE value as a "collectable".

E.P.

BELIZE91

GT Owner
Sep 7, 2006
Hartland MI
Empty Pockets said:
How many 1970 LS-6's were made, back in 70 did anyone ever think these cars would appreciate?

I don't recall how many were made. But it wasn't many! And, YES. Anybody with a brain that worked KNEW they'd be worth a fortune because the LS-6 was the LAST - AND BIGGEST HP - "hi-pro" offering GM had ever made (up to that time ... the ZO6 427 only NOW[!] surpasses it), and EPA "dictates" spelled the end to the high HP CARS of that era ...NOT TO MENTION THE LOVELY INSURANCVE COMPANIES. So, ya, virtually ANY "car savy" person could read the writing on the wall for these cars FUTURE value as a "collectable".

E.P.[/QUOTE]
You have to remember that a car being a collectable for the most part is emotion. You remember seeing car as a kid and later when you had the bucks you bought it. I wonder if it will be worth as much to the current generation of kids? Might explain why cars of the 30's and 40's have peaked. I own also a 69 Boss 429, only about 800 or so of them left I hear. Myself I think maybe another 10 years and the price will peak on them. I had offers of 150K for it. Maybe now is the time to sell don't know. I do know that my GT is more fun to drive for the fact I don't worry about breaking anything. If I totaled it, I could get another one. On the Boss 429 it took me 6 months and 10K to buy a new set of heads.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
BELIZE91 said:

E.P.
You have to remember that a car being a collectable for the most part is emotion. You remember seeing car as a kid and later when you had the bucks you bought it. I wonder if it will be worth as much to the current generation of kids? Might explain why cars of the 30's and 40's have peaked. I own also a 69 Boss 429, only about 800 or so of them left I hear. Myself I think maybe another 10 years and the price will peak on them. I had offers of 150K for it. Maybe now is the time to sell don't know. I do know that my GT is more fun to drive for the fact I don't worry about breaking anything. If I totaled it, I could get another one. On the Boss 429 it took me 6 months and 10K to buy a new set of heads.[/QUOTE]