First glimpse of the GT's next competitor...

HIRISC

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'll stick w/ this.

Desi

GT Owner
Jan 30, 2006
Germany
:facepalm:

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Probably wise to reserve judgment on the McLaren until we see it in the flesh. Seen lots of grainy/blurry/fisheyed photos of cars that later proved of very little help in appreciating the general article. Sort of like judging a Canova from a picture in a 8th grade textbook.

Here's what we know for now: The NGT is an incredibly novel and inspiring piece of industrial design. If the only test for an exotic was its looks, I'm feeling like the NGT is not only a home run, but a walk off home run. I'm waiting with bated breath for the first production model performance reviews and instrumented test results.

The McLaren will very likely be a performance juggernaut, even if it looks like a turd. These are very interesting times to be a car enthusiast...providing you have deep pockets.

Couldn't agree more. Also bear in mind that the 720 and the NFGT will not really be in the same price league. I can't wait to see what level of performance Mclaren achieves with this car. If I was Ferrari, I would be sweating a bit.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Ferraris are not as fast as their McLaren competitors, yet people still buy Ferraris. Why?

At the level of performance all these cars offer, any minute differences seem academic to me. The NFGT has no competition for my dollars, so whether brand X has a quicker/faster car is irrelevant. I think the NFGT will continue its production run relatively unchanged (at least the first 3 years) and newer cars will "outperform" it. It will make no difference to me because it's a Ford GT that won Le Mans. Buy what you are passionate about, otherwise you're just a tool throwing money around.

Last edited:

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Buy what you are passionate about, otherwise you're just a tool throwing money around.

Amen man. It's all about what gets you out of bed in the morning and motivated to press on when you've got other shizzle to wade through in life. It's all about the "muse factor". I heard someone say that a happy life is: "Someone to love, something to do, and something to look forward to." Sounds to me like the FGT bangs #3 for a l lot of people around here. And that, in my opinion, is a GOOD thing.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
I'll stick w/ this.

Oh yea. The LT Spider is, at this point, the finest all around sports car I have EVER owned. And that coming from a guy that generally avoids open cars...

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Oh yea. The LT Spider is, at this point, the finest all around sports car I have EVER owned. And that coming from a guy that generally avoids open cars...

And yet it does nothing for me, which illustrates the point that there are so many subjective reasons we piss away huge sums of money on these cars.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Ferraris are not as fast as their McLaren competitors, yet people still buy Ferraris. Why?

At the level of performance all these cars offer, any minute differences seem academic to me. The NFGT has no competition for my dollars, so whether brand X has a quicker/faster car is irrelevant. I think the NFGT will continue its production run relatively unchanged (at least the first 3 years) and newer cars will "outperform" it. It will make no difference to me because it's a Ford GT that won Le Mans. Buy what you are passionate about, otherwise you're just a tool throwing money around.

I agree, to a point...but the reality is that (to quote Mick Jagger) "You can't always get what you want". I am far more passionate about Fords, but it is very likely that I will never own a NFGT. So, I will continue to enjoy my "old" FGT, and throw my hat in the ring again for the 4th year production of NFGT, but may very well have to settle for another brand of supercar (again). The people here who are all expressing disinterest in the Mac 720 are (mostly) all selected to get a NFGT. Good for you. Were I one of you, I wouldn't have much interest in the new 720, either. My subconscious mind might even cause me to disparage it to some degree, to justify my significant NFGT purchase. Like we've shared with each other before Paul- it sure is nice to have such "problems". :wink. All of these cars are beyond amazing.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
I agree, to a point...but the reality is that (to quote Mick Jagger) "You can't always get what you want". I am far more passionate about Fords, but it is very likely that I will never own a NFGT. So, I will continue to enjoy my "old" FGT, and throw my hat in the ring again for the 4th year production of NFGT, but may very well have to settle for another brand of supercar (again). The people here who are all expressing disinterest in the Mac 720 are (mostly) all selected to get a NFGT. Good for you. Were I one of you, I wouldn't have much interest in the new 720, either. My subconscious mind might even cause me to disparage it to some degree, to justify my significant NFGT purchase. Like we've shared with each other before Paul- it sure is nice to have such "problems". :wink. All of these cars are beyond amazing.

Couldn't agree more.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Are you passionate about the McLaren or are you looking for a salve? Serous question. I'm really not a "supercar" type buyer so had I not had a chance to buy a NFGT, I would not be looking at expensive alternatives. I've found out as I've gotten older and achieved some financial milestones that buying more stuff just because I could didn't increase my enjoyment of life. In fact, it just added to my aggravation. I've told my son who is just starting out not to what I've done regarding the accumulation of stuff. When I'm not in a "look at me I'm a pony" mood, the best car I can drive on the road is the new Miata I've had for a little over a year. All 155BHP, 2330lbs of it.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Are you passionate about the McLaren or are you looking for a salve? Serous question. I'm really not a "supercar" type buyer so had I not had a chance to buy a NFGT, I would not be looking at expensive alternatives. I've found out as I've gotten older and achieved some financial milestones that buying more stuff just because I could didn't increase my enjoyment of life. In fact, it just added to my aggravation. I've told my son who is just starting out not to what I've done regarding the accumulation of stuff. When I'm not in a "look at me I'm a pony" mood, the best car I can drive on the road is the new Miata I've had for a little over a year. All 155BHP, 2330lbs of it.

I hear what you are saying, and believe you gave your son excellent advice. I am passionate about performance, as well as excellence in design of all things mechanical. I prefer Fords and Mopars, and really all American cars, but my loyalty isn't so absolute as to make me blind to the achievements of other manufacturers. I was in high school when the McLaren F1 came out and blew everybody's minds, so yeah- buying my lowly 12c spider did increase my enjoyment of life, and every time I take it out I think about how lucky I am to own a legitimate descendant, and the performance (to my thinking) is mind-boggling. But then, I also drive my son's 2012 Ford Escape to work some days, and appreciate it for the excellent vehicle that it is. I loved the hell out of my '74 Maverick, inline 6 and all, when I was a kid. Sounded like absolute shit with the cherry bomb muffler I put on it, but at the time, it was my pride and joy. :biggrin

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I hear what you are saying, and believe you gave your son excellent advice. I am passionate about performance, as well as excellence in design of all things mechanical. I prefer Fords and Mopars, and really all American cars, but my loyalty isn't so absolute as to make me blind to the achievements of other manufacturers. I was in high school when the McLaren F1 came out and blew everybody's minds, so yeah- buying my lowly 12c spider did increase my enjoyment of life, and every time I take it out I think about how lucky I am to own a legitimate descendant, and the performance (to my thinking) is mind-boggling. But then, I also drive my son's 2012 Ford Escape to work some days, and appreciate it for the excellent vehicle that it is. I loved the hell out of my '74 Maverick, inline 6 and all, when I was a kid. Sounded like absolute shit with the cherry bomb muffler I put on it, but at the time, it was my pride and joy. :biggrin

I get it. I'm not passing judgment on anyone's purchase decision. The decision is very personal and it's none of my business. If you love the McLaren, that's all that matters. All I'm saying is that I've never made a good purchase because I was bored or disappointed in not being able to get what I wanted in the first place.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
I get it. I'm not passing judgment on anyone's purchase decision. The decision is very personal and it's none of my business. If you love the McLaren, that's all that matters. All I'm saying is that I've never made a good purchase because I was bored or disappointed in not being able to get what I wanted in the first place.

A valid point. Thankfully, this isn't a zero sum game, and we aren't limited to a single option. I was always going to get a McLaren, but receiving my NFGT rejection notice sped up the timeframe for it. Are you telling me that if you weren't getting a new GT, you wouldn't be seriously looking at a new GT350 or upcoming GT500 instead? Maybe you are anyway, I'm just probing the issue a little.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
A valid point. Thankfully, this isn't a zero sum game, and we aren't limited to a single option. I was always going to get a McLaren, but receiving my NFGT rejection notice sped up the timeframe for it. Are you telling me that if you weren't getting a new GT, you wouldn't be seriously looking at a new GT350 or upcoming GT500 instead? Maybe you are anyway, I'm just probing the issue a little.

For the record, I don't like getting probed.

I was considering a GT350R, but that was way before I got my NFGT allocation. Since I couldn't get a GT350R at a sane price, you could make the argument that I'm getting a NFGT to assuage my hurt feelings over the aborted GT350R purchase. :lol

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
For the record, I don't like getting probed.

I was considering a GT350R, but that was way before I got my NFGT allocation. Since I couldn't get a GT350R at a sane price, you could make the argument that I'm getting a NFGT to assuage my hurt feelings over the aborted GT350R purchase. :lol

Touche'! :cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Paul, we're physicians, we can probe you with confidence and confidentiality. No more pleasure in life than shoving something up a lawyers rectum.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Paul, we're physicians, we can probe you with confidence and confidentiality. No more pleasure in life than shoving something up a lawyers rectum.

That's why I always have a spotter when I'm put under general anesthesia. :lol

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005

Rectum? Damn near killed 'um!

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
As a friend of mine likes to say, "that's a problem you want to have."

ThatPhilBrettGuy

GT Owner
May 9, 2007
London, UK.
The McLaren is off the table for Americans anyway :wink

http://sniffpetrol.com/2017/01/30/trump-to-ban-european-cars/#.WJYsvbaLRE4