Finally got my GT on a Dynojet here in Oz- but it ran out of range at +680RWHP!?!

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Hi guys,

So last Thursday I finally got to have my 'apples-apples' dyno run done here on the 1 and only Dynojet in Sydney (of I think 2 in the country). I sent the GT up with my tuner. I got the phone call about lunch time to say the runs had been done. However, the thing is I was told my GT overran the dyno after hitting close to the 680RWHP mark. My immediate thought was ok, here we go again, another OZ-US anomaly...How is it they get proper results in the US with a US made Dynojet but here in Oz we run out range on a US built Dynojet, a 248C to be precise?? The only possibility offered by my tuner, which I thought very unlikely, was that perhaps others have measured a 3rd gear run - but that's not 1:1 and would skew any results...

Anyway, after all the anticipation of getting the car on a Dynojet, I'm kind of perplexed by what occurred.

Interestingly enough, my tuner wanted to fix a slight hesitation at 1500RPM, so he did and then did a run on his own Mainline dyno on Friday, which as seems to be the trend with that brand of dyno, measured -100RWHP difference to the Dynojet (580RWHP).

gthptorquerw2.jpg

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Ok, don't sweat it guys.

I asked my good buddy James Parker @ RTWD Performance today about the results. He took it straight to Dynojet and got an answer back in a couple of hours. Seems the old 248c runs out of range at 160MPH.

Here's what was said by Dan Hourigan, VP of Dynojet on it:

nope, you're right, even the oldest 248 would read to 1200 rwhp, but the speed was limited to 160 mph on early units. the graph looks a little goofy (like a mustang dyno graph...lol), because "forced scaling" isn't selected.

Think I'll be asking the dynojet owner why he failed to select 'forced scaling' though. Perhaps he owes me another run. Think he needs to upgrade as well just quietly- but what's the bet he won't want to fork out the $$!

Magnus

Jul 16, 2008
How high do you rev the car?

I'm not familiar with the efficiency of the Ford GT blower, but some blower setups you can rev to the moon until the car blows up. So, you'll just take it to the safe rev limiter instead. ;)

What tuner do you use in AU? My company has a pretty big presence in the AU market, but mostly in the GM side of things. The AU market is really amazing, you guys are very lucky in many ways and unlucky in many others (like your emissions testing).

Also, your RHD conversion is AWESOME. I need to send the link to a buddy of mine in AU.

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
How high do you rev the car?

I'm not familiar with the efficiency of the Ford GT blower, but some blower setups you can rev to the moon until the car blows up. So, you'll just take it to the safe rev limiter instead. ;)

What tuner do you use in AU? My company has a pretty big presence in the AU market, but mostly in the GM side of things. The AU market is really amazing, you guys are very lucky in many ways and unlucky in many others (like your emissions testing).

Also, your RHD conversion is AWESOME. I need to send the link to a buddy of mine in AU.

Dan is referring directly to the Dynojet 248c design limitation of 160MPH, not the cars own engine rev limiter. I did 167MPH the other day and it was still making power and definitely not out of RPM'S in 4th gear...

My tuner is local regional guy who's shop is called Scream'in Performance. Does a fair amount of race tuning also in his shop.

What do you mean by our emissions testing? It only exists at a manufacturing/import level. There are no regular tests for passenger cars here. It would have to California bad before I'd get annoyed.

Thanks for you comment.The conversion is superb, but it had to be to do justice to the GT. I couldn't live with myself if it took away from the car.

Last edited:

Magnus

Jul 16, 2008
Ahh yea I understand the limit of the dyno, but I'm curious what you guys shift at? My viper I shift at 6K, My Z06, 6500, and my race car at around 7800. :)

My buddy in the Melbourne area of AU has a twin turbo holden monaro. I guess he was found out by one of your police so they made him get his car tested. He had to tear everything down back to stock to get the car tested so it would pass, then had to put back on all the parts again (in secret). He was telling me he had to do this because they are very strict on the visual inspection.

Oh, another thing he tells me about is all the speed cameras you guys have!!

He was looking at an RHD Z06. I sent him links to a RHD Viper and your GT to give him some more to think about. :)

OzGT

GT Owner
Aug 21, 2006
South of Sydney, AUS
Ahh yea I understand the limit of the dyno, but I'm curious what you guys shift at? My viper I shift at 6K, My Z06, 6500, and my race car at around 7800. :)

My buddy in the Melbourne area of AU has a twin turbo holden monaro. I guess he was found out by one of your police so they made him get his car tested. He had to tear everything down back to stock to get the car tested so it would pass, then had to put back on all the parts again (in secret). He was telling me he had to do this because they are very strict on the visual inspection.

Oh, another thing he tells me about is all the speed cameras you guys have!!

He was looking at an RHD Z06. I sent him links to a RHD Viper and your GT to give him some more to think about. :)

GT's are still making HP above 6000RPM, I'd say something like 6500, similar to your Z06.

What your mate is talking about is being hassled by the cops and getting a defect notice and forced inspection as a result. Also, be aware as with the US, it ain't apples with apples between states. They are REAL nazis down in Victoria. Also, the cameras in Victoria are the WORST in the country (possible some of the worst in world!). You cannot get away with being a bee's dick over the limit down there. I would lose my mind if I lived down there, it's and out and out joke.

Cops in most of Australia also love targeting anything that looks domestic or ricey that's modified. They tend to respect exotics, since the last thing most owners would do is illegal modifications. And some of the non-engineered and unsafe mods people do here deserve to be to targeted.

Last edited: