FGT Storage Question

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Well after too many years, and lamenting over the good deals, i didn't pull the trigger on. I finally signed a PA on a FGT(more later).
My question is where do you guys keep your cars? My impression is that alot of them are on hoists in temp. controlled buildings. Like to hear from the guys who keep their cars at home in regular garages. Especially you midwest guys, I don't mind finding a TC'd storage for winter, but is it a must, or will it be ok in a closed insulated garage?
Really look forward to your advice, Thanks in advance!!

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
I keep mine in a well insulated garage that is detached, normally unheated during the winter... I over pressurize the tires, keep the battery on a trickle charger(OEM) and start the car every 2 weeks or so...I do use the oil pump priming procedure that is associated with an oil change to make sure the engine has lubrication before starting. Have had no issues for almost 6 years. Outside temps range from 35 to -25 F.. Garage never gets colder than 20F.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
In home garage; heated from basement; stand alone ($150) dehumidifier with hose out under garage door lip

These GTs dont take to non-use well; drive em hard, keep em hot; and drive min 2500mi/yr.

peiserg

GT Owner
Aug 15, 2010
Phoenix, az
I keep mine in the garage the 3 days of the week i don't drive it. unheated, unairconditioned. I do throw the car cover over it on occasion.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Many here keep theirs in "regular garages".

As to keeping it in a heated garage in the winter; PL510*Jeff, has, on occasion, used his GT as a snowmobile in his travels and has pics to prove it! So, there's really no sweat there either.

A "regular garage" will work fine, doc.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Regular garage is fine. If it is heated even better but if the garage is insulated it should be fine. Silica gel packets in passenger compartment s to collect any moisture, over inflate ties, I also use flatstoppers pads, A few bouce fabric softeners for keep the mice away. Start every couple of weeks and let it come up to temperature.

Stu

docshelby

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2008
Metro Detroit
Thank you! That's what I'm talking about! Actually though I was doing something sacra-ligious, if I didn't give her a proper home.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Stu,

How do you keep the flat stoppers from sliding and you try to drive up on them? I would hate to have to glue them down onto the concrete.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Many here keep theirs in "regular garages".

As to keeping it in a heated garage in the winter; PL510*Jeff, has, on occasion, used his GT as a snowmobile in his travels and has pics to prove it! So, there's really no sweat there either.

A "regular garage" will work fine, doc.

I am fortunate to live in moderate climate area(s). And my GT has been mostly left out on the driveway, as the garage(s) are full up.

Which isn't ideal from a storage point of view.

But it sure does make it easy to just hop in the GT and go, without having to shuffle vehicles in and out.

Drive 'em, get 'em dirty, clean and repeat.

dbackg

dbackg
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2009
Tempe, AZ
How do you keep the flat stoppers from sliding and you try to drive up on them? I would hate to have to glue them down onto the concrete.

Race Ramps do not slide.
http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Driving onto the flatstoppers has never been an issue. They are not glued down but they do not move when driving onto them or at least for me they have never moved.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

They most certainly can. I have them. Mine slide.

Thanks tho, I guess I will glue mine down. Glue isn't any worse than the scratches on the concrete.

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
St. Louis midwest weather. Car in insulated, attached garage. no heat, no air, no humidifier. Tires inflated to 44psi, battery on trickle charger at all times, no car cover, started every two months. Washed well before winter and detailed over the winter as time permits (may take months). The Bridgestones have held air extremely well and no flat-spotting. 24,00 miles.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
St. Louis midwest weather. Car in insulated, attached garage. no heat, no air, no humidifier. Tires inflated to 44psi, battery on trickle charger at all times, no car cover, started every two months. Washed well before winter and detailed over the winter as time permits (may take months). The Bridgestones have held air extremely well and no flat-spotting. 24,00 miles.

North Carolina East Coast weather. Car in insulated, attached garage. no heat, no air, no humidifier. Tires left as is, battery on trickle charger at all times, no car cover, started every two weeks/ months. Washed well before winter and detailed over the winter as time permits (may take months). The Bridgestones have held air extremely well and no flat-spotting.

Oh, and BTW drive it a couple of times during the winter on those nice days.....

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
My impression is that alot of them are on hoists in temp. controlled buildings.

Doc,

That would be a false impression as almost everybody keeps their GT(s) in their home garages. When Ford built the GT they had the same expectation about how they thought most GTs would be treated as you did, pampered garage queens. And if it wasn't for DBK they probably would have been right. But the GT Forum treats us to daily stories about events, races, rallies, gatherings, track days, and road trips that look like a lot of fun and they are. So instead of pampering and preserving our "babies", we drive the hell out of them, mod them, and then drive even harder.

Ford thought they had plenty of spare parts to service the GT fleet for a decade, but the crash & bash owner group blew through that stash in a couple years and lots of parts needed to be put back into production.

Anyway, the GT is a pretty durable auto and your home garage is fine. Drive it and have fun. In 50 years we'll both be dead and someone else will be enjoying our GTs. So take advantage of your tenure as caretaker to experience the joy of being a GT driver, not just a GT owner.

Welcome to the Forum.

Chip

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Don't forget the battery tender. I don't use the Ford one since it doesn't provide feedback. I had one from my Cobra and used the kit from one of the vendors here who had a wiring harness that puts a plug in a well hidden place to make the connection. I connect it if I'm going to be down for more than a few days.

I've always been told that long term storage of a vehicle "on a hoist" (i.e., wheels off the ground) is not good for the suspension. Overinflate the tires but take it out of the garage and warm it up by driving a few blocks every 2-3 weeks and you should avoid flat spots.

I made arrangements last weekend for mine to be stored at the Shelby American Collection over this coming winter. I look at it all the time, so this winter others will be able to adore my little girl :)