Festival of Speed, St. Petersburg FL, 4/3/16

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
My GT and fellow forumite Steve Woodrough's X1 sandwich a Spyker C8 Laviolette at the St. Pete Festival of Speed.

5D3-11970.jpg

To be totally truthful, none of these three cars got the amount of attention given to the Tesla Model X parked next to my car. Really, it got annoying to be sitting in the shade behind my car and being repeatedly asked about the Model X. What do you want to know? It's a crazy expensive SUV with limited range! An SUV that, when it's on "E" you'll have to plan a lunch break while it "fills up." What else do you want? Well, they wanted it.

Even more annoying considering it is a generic SUV with surprisingly poor panel and trim fit. A $175K SUV that the owner was willing to let go for $200K.

The Spyker is obviously not a beautiful car. But the Audi V8 sounded sweet. And the steampunk (thanks Sinovac)/Jules Verne Captain Nemo design flourishes were cool, even though nothing to lust for.

The most amazing thing about this event...the organizer charges $25-$50 per car (depending on club affiliation) to show AND!...$20...yes $20 per adult spectator. And the event was packed. Many thousands of spectators paid to enter a St.Pete public park just to look at cars! No money for charity! Just money for the organizer! I am amazed.

5D3-11963.jpg

The really cool cars.

5D3-11959.jpg

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Their event at Amelia is pretty awful IMHO

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Nice pictures. The Model X just has the new factor right now. It seems expensive but then again a Cayenne Turbo S can push past 200K so it is all relative.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Is that a real Petty Superbird and Dick Landy '70 Challenger, or "tribute" cars? Cool pics. Thanks for sharing!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Is that a real Petty Superbird and Dick Landy '70 Challenger, or "tribute" cars? Cool pics. Thanks for sharing!

All real deals. Search "Todd Werner collection." Amazing cars. Knowing your preferences, your head would explode at the sight of his collection. Great story too about his business success.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
All real deals. Search "Todd Werner collection." Amazing cars. Knowing your preferences, your head would explode at the sight of his collection. Great story too about his business success.

Impressive! Thanks for the info; I do remember reading about this guy not long ago, in Hot Rod magazine:

http://www.hotrod.com/features/1509...-lightweights-and-vintage-racers-is-shocking/

Now THAT is a collection! Good for him. Amazing, indeed.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
I went to the Festivals of speed the first year we had the GTs. Also about a dozen others were there sprinkled around the grounds. The words Ford GT were never even said from the awards podium at the end of the day and I have not been back since.

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
Gary, I agree with you. Every FOS event is a real shit show. We went the first year we had our GT and that was it. Truly THE most unorganized grabastic pieces of amphibian shit that you will witness putting on a car show. BARF :thumbsdow

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I won't go back. Although, the highlight was seeing some great people met through this forum (e.g., Matt & Danielle; Steve Woodrough). That made the trip worthwhile. :)