Fair price for ‘06 GT with incident?

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
I'm no expert, but when I see the amount of time that was spent on "frame", I'd certainly want someone like Rich Brooks, giving his seal of approval, before I spent my $. I had Rich come to NY to inspect a car that was owned by the owner of a very reputable Ford dealership, and he found significant needed repairs. The owner of the dealership stated, that if he were ever to buy another GT, he'd have Rich come inspect it. I did buy the car, and had it shipped to Rich in MI, along with all the needed parts, and have now enjoyed the car for about 9 years, and added about 16,000 miles.

Reactions: dshears

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You posted this for advice. General agreement is get Rich (or one of the other qualified people: Kendall, Rich Roback) to do an inspection. After that then start dealing on price.

Oh yes, and it is Forum policy not to show wrecked GTs unless it is yours.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
What extrap said. I’d buy a $30K car based on my own inspection and a review of the service records. But I wouldn’t buy a $300K+ airplane or yacht like that. Ditto for a $300K+ supercar.

stephenmutz

Nov 14, 2020
Durham, NC
If you're saying you'd be relying on the seller and his repair guy, hmmm, I dunno, people selling cars never fib ... do they? ;) But, giving them the benefit of the doubt, they might honestly not know everything to check. Plus they're not on your side like somebody you pay should be. Rich Brooks can fill that role. And there a couple others.

I 'might' rely on the seller's word, and my own inspection on a $30k vehicle. But not one this expensive. That's just me, though.

Look what all can be needed on an FGT that has not even been driven, much less crashed and repaired: https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/hidden-dangers-of-buying-low-mile-car.36905/#post-505422
Touché!

stephenmutz

Nov 14, 2020
Durham, NC
You posted this for advice. General agreement is get Rich (or one of the other qualified people: Kendall, Rich Roback) to do an inspection. After that then start dealing on price.

Oh yes, and it is Forum policy not to show wrecked GTs unless it is yours.
Oops, thank you, removed the link!

69b302

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2021
Upstate NY
Most of the repair expense was the clamshell replacement(over half), so clamshells still pretty pricy back in 2010. Definitely the majority of part replacement/repair was in the back(pretty much everything from rear castings back), but some work up front/side as well. My concern would be if the rear castings required any repair/welding. If the rear frame tip mounts were repaired, it could be hard to detect, as they are inside the frame rails now. A proper straight bolt on repair will impact value a lot less, then a car with a repaired frame IMO. The problem with accident cars is, it is very hard to check everything, without a fair degree of disassembly, that most owners will not allow. Good luck on your search.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nafod and extrap

dr914

GT Owner
Feb 11, 2009
Marietta Georgia
totally agree with the concern about the welding. Bolt on parts are not so bad, (like the rear clamshell) but frame welding, frame pulling, bent suspension points, are very worrisome, especially considering who is doing the repair.