Factory tour AWESOME In every possible way!!

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
We just got back from a tour at the Saleen SSV which as most of you know, actually builds most of the GT. My Ford dealer had worked hard to get us in the Wixom facility as well. Ford said we could go there, but that they did not allow kids therefore my son (age 7) could not go. Obviously we passed on that. Separate from my Ford dealer's efforts, I simply called up Saleen and asked if we could come up to watch our car being built. They said absolutely.
Off to detroit for spring break. Since we live in Florida, everyone said we were nuts to be going to Detroit for spring break. Nonsense, we had a great time.
When we arrived at Saleen they were waiting for us and spent a little more than four hours taking us through the facility. My son Patrick met all the guys actually building our car. They stopped the line so that he could get up in the car and we could take lots of pictures. We ended up following the car down the front half of the line and it was about to make the turn down the final few stations when we left. They do quality work there and needless to say it shows. They are very proud of their entire line and they should be. The paint process actually involves about 200 man hours alone from start to finish. The GT actually gets about a $20,000 paint job.
The last of the first batch of Canadian cars were there while we were there. The rear bumper is really ugly. The front foam piece that goes in the nose weighs three times what the US spec cars get. The Canadian piece actually has metal in it as opposed to just foam for the US cars. There will be one more run of Canadian cars and there will be more than 200 going north. The Canadian cars got the base radio. I was also told that about 90% of the US cars had gotten the McIntosh.
I had not seen the dark blue :thumbsup color on any of the GTs that I had seen until we were at Saleen. It is a great color. There were a good number of non center striped cars being produced out of the 75 or so that were there. The side stripes are actually put on at Wixom. They told us that originally, yellow was expected to be one of the most popular colors however it has turned out to be the least ordered color. The Heritage was very close to not being produced. It was expected to be less popular, however there is evidently quite a demand for it. I would expect to see more than 200 Heritage cars made.
All in all, our family left the Saleen SSV totally impressed. They could not have been more gracious and patient. The new Saleen sport truck was in the lobby with the #002 GT car. We are now going to be Saleen customers without a doubt.
After Saleen, we met up with Camilo Pardo at his studio in downtown Detroit. He came driving up in his GT (white with side stripes only). He has driven it to Key West twice already!! Has about 9,000 miles on it. He is a great guy and we bought a couple of his GT paintings. He said he would even go over to Saleen and sign the engine bay bar for us. He showed us where Carroll Shelby signed his for him. I would imagine he would come to the rally if we ask him.
When the rally comes around in August you folks are going to love the Saleen tour. I may or may not go to Wixom depending on whether they change their policy about kids. Will attach pictures as soon as I figure out how. Enjoy!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
What a great time. Almost makes me want to order another one just so I can go up and watch it being built.

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
Great re-cap and what a terrific experience. I am really looking forward to the August Rally and associated tours. PD

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
looking for white petunia

Vince- Patrick and I looked at every GT from the loading dock to the out door to Wixom to find your Petunia but to no avail. The broadcast sheets in the paint and the main line departments said it was not there but we wanted to see for ourselves. Hopefully Mike can let you know the exact days yours will be in production. If you go. They will build it!! :thumbsup

Pipelion

K-P,

What a great time and post! Thanks so much.

Allan

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
numbers at Wixom

Vince- The highest we could find was 972 which was a body in white still on a chuck waiting to go into paint prep.. There were some in paint that we could not see but they would be lower numbers. Ours is supposed to be at Wixom now with ETA at dealer for 4/3/06. I will check with my Ford man Friday to see what his computer shows. Centerpunch put a thread on a few weeks ago regarding checking the Ford DORA system for delivery info.. I checked it against what my Ford man was saying and they matched.
I did find out that they do the cars in batches by color unless there is some special reason not to. Our car was following several dark blues and was the start of a group of Heritage colored cars. There were several reds linin :thumbsup g up to come down the line with black cars behind them. I would think the next batch would be whites and that would probably be yours.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
White GT with side stripes only??!! The man has got good taste! hehe :thumbsup

Pipelion

Vin No.s

Vin no. 1053 (a heritage) sold on ebay last week.

Allan

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
I'm going to Troy sometime in April-May, God willing. As acknowledged by K-P Garage, Centerpunch and others who've been, the Saleen folks really seem to go the extra mile to accomodate tours. Ford/Wixom has been less accomodating but they certainly have their own worries right now and DBK has us taken care of us on that front. :thumbsup For those who want to go see their car as it's produced or just take a tour before our August rally and don't have a POC, you might try this:

Lisa Jackson
Public Relations Administrator
Saleen, Inc.
76 Fairbanks ~ Irvine ~ CA ~ 92618
Office: 949-597-3855
Cell: 949-836-1763
Email: ljackson@saleen.com / lisa2270@nextel.blackberry.net

Lisa also said Saleen gives tours of their Irvine facility and I hope to see their S-7 production line this summer. For all you guys with deep pockets, an S-7 would look nice sitting next to your GT! :biggrin

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
K-P, that was a really enjoyable post - and how kind of them to treat you with such style... It does lift the experience to know that our cars are built by such enthusiastic and accomodating people.

Pipelion

Centerpunch,

Now why confuse my post with the facts?

Allan :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
canibl said:
White GT with side stripes only??!! The man has got good taste! hehe :thumbsup

damn straight... none of the heavy extra weight center stripe for Pardo or Bony :banana :rofl :banana

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Neilda said:
K-P, that was a really enjoyable post - and how kind of them to treat you with such style... It does lift the experience to know that our cars are built by such enthusiastic and accomodating people.

ditto, great post, can't wait to see it for myself. :biggrin