Extra threaded hole?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Look between the two brackets that hold the engine oil tank. Does anyone else have this threaded hole?

Attachments

• Engine_Pass_Side_2.JPG
    Engine_Pass_Side_2.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 133

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yep, same on mine. Technically, that's a nutsert.

Now, WP, you gotta stop doing the "do you have this" threads. You know you're making Doc run out to his car each time to see what else he's missing!

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Trans cooler.....

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ford Transcooler Install Instructions:

Step 6: Attach line clamp to frame rail with fastener (item 5) utilizing the existing hole in frame.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Optional Item - there are pictures in the Gallery

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
WP - MR2Race posted this earlier.... Sounds like he was on the team. The link is below....

FROM A POST BY MR2Race "On a few of the Protype Ford GTs that were used for track development.
I relocated the vent to a higher position. And that helped but did not completely fix the oil spewing about. The elegant solution is a breather vent kit.

I have a problem understanding how a trans cooler will help this oil out the vent problem.For a street driven car.

Yes a cooler should be installed on a track driven car.
But for the street I am not convinced it is required.

There is a method to define if a car needs a cooler installed. Monitor the gear oil temptures. This is the only definitive way to know.
I can tell you in development testing. Extensive gearbox testing was performed
(most of it with my data systems on the cars). And there were never any trans over temp issues with street driving. Even in Death Valley where the air is hot. And the road is begging the driver to triple the speed limit.

The only reason Ford racing has a cooler to sell. Is based on temp data we collected in extended track testing."

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=985&page=5&pp=10&highlight=transaxle+vent #42

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
White Petunia said:
I know the transcooler is available "over the counter", but I was wondering if the original intent was to be standard equipment or offered as a factory option.

WP

I'm sure it was considered just like many things and eliminated. But they have the mounting spot ready just in case. Similar to the bolts behind the seats for racing belts.

Dave