Erroneous Information in The 2005 Service Manual Relating to Purging Cooling Systems?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Correct me if I'm wrong .....or ..... concur if you know that I'm right .....

Engine Cooling System - Page 303-03A-17, right column, item #4, second sentence states "Open the draincock and drain the engine coolant". I am reasonably certain that that is an incorrect statement - after removing the splitter, the draincock that is visible on the bottom right side is for the intercooler radiator, not the engine radiator. The bleeder valve on the upper left side is indeed for the engine radiator, however, the essential use of a vacuum purge system renders the bleeder useless.

Intercooler Cooling System - Page 303-03B-8, left column, item #3 states "Remove the lower hose from the intercooler radiator and allow the coolant to drain in a suitable container". The lower hose is located on the lower left side of the intercooler radiator, however, the intercooler radiator draincock mentioned above, renders removal of the lower intercooler radiator hose unnecessary. Moreover, the intercooler radiator bleeder which is located on the upper left side and barely visible when the debris screen is removed is completely inaccessible, rendering a vacuum purge procedure the only viable means to effective purge/refill the system.

In sum, then, draining the intercooler radiator is accomplished by simply opening up the draincock located on the lower right corner of the intercooler radiator. Draining the engine radiator is accomplished by removing the lower radiator hose located on the right side of the radiator (I'll be doing this later today and I'll report any relevant details).

For both systems the use of a vacuum purge system is essential. I found it extremely interesting that I drained about 3 quarts from the intercooler system, yet was able to add twice that amount when refilling the system. Given that the fill tank level was perfect before the system was drained, one might reasonably conclude that a huge air pocket has been eliminated.

FYI, I used the UView 550000 Airlift Cooling System Purge Tool to perform the vacuum/refill procedures. IMO an absolutely essential tool.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Believe to purge the entire old coolant from the engine block,you need to remove the hex nuts (two on lower block)......at least that is what I was advised.