Erratic oil pressure readings?

DMS427

Ford Gt Owner
Jan 5, 2008
Michigan
I have a 2006 with less than 200 miles and have noticed from day one the oil presure gauge has acted erratically. Short quick needle fluctuations even at steady rpms. I suspect it is just a bad sender unit. Anyone elso have similar problems?

Did installing a new sender resolve the issue? If so... does anyone have a good part number?

Finally...does anyone have a picture of the sender unit... or could you describe exactly where it's location is on the motor? If it's like most cars it should be fairly easy to swap out. Just looking to save some time from those that may have already been through this drill.

Very grateful for any help or advice.

Thanks,

David

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I have a 2006 with less than 200 miles and have noticed from day one the oil presure gauge has acted erratically. Short quick needle fluctuations even at steady rpms. I suspect it is just a bad sender unit. Anyone elso have similar problems?

Did installing a new sender resolve the issue? If so... does anyone have a good part number?

Finally...does anyone have a picture of the sender unit... or could you describe exactly where it's location is on the motor? If it's like most cars it should be fairly easy to swap out. Just looking to save some time from those that may have already been through this drill.

Thanks,

David

"analogdesigner" here on the Forum had a similiar pblm. You might wanna PM him about it - if he doesn't see this thread & reply first. (And yes. His 'sender was the pblm.)

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
The oil pump has two different pressure levels. 1st is low pressure ie. under 2k rpm after warm up with typical reading of 40-50 lb's pressure, some cases lower. Over ~2K RPM it kicks into "high" pressure where typically 55-70 lb's is seen.

The bouncing has been seen by many and if at idle - warm it "jumps" it has been tracked in a few cases down to a bad sensor. I've had mine repalced once already.

Hope this helps...

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

Thanks,

David

David, I too had the same problem and you are not hallucinating. When we had the GT guys down for our east coast event I took a ride in PeteS car and his gauge acted totally different than mine. I talked to Rich about it while they were here and they went ahead and replaced mine as she is back to normal again. I did watch them do the install from underneath on the drivers side of the motor and it took all of 5 minutes. Here is the part number off of the box. 4G7Z-9D290-AB
Piece of cake to do the install and I did get the part under warranty.
good luck
Pe2unia (John)

911teo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 5, 2007
Surrey, UK

Thanks,

David

David

I had the same problem with mine. At Roush Europe they were aware of the issue and replaced the sender. No problem since.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My gauge will occasionally read zero pressure, but the motor has never skipped a beat...assuming I have a bad sending unit too...will be getting it replaced soon.

DMS427

Ford Gt Owner
Jan 5, 2008
Michigan
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. It clearly sounds like this is not an isolated issue.

Special thanks to "Pe2unia" for the part numbers for the sending unit!

standj

GT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 23, 2007
Wyoming
I had mine replaced because of the same problem last year, which solved the issue.

John

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Interesting..... I was driving my gal couple of weeks ago, & the oil pressure was around 75-80 psi at startup. After it warmed up from a nice long drive, the pressure was around 45-50 psi at idle. I don't remember it being that high at hot idle before, seemd to run around 35-40psi (hot idle)from what I can remember. I had the oil changed at my Ford dealer awhile back, & oil does not have more than about 250 miles on it. Car has a little over 6900 total miles on it. Any thoughts about the pressure change?? Mark