era of purely electric powered cars no longer far away

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
era of purely electric powered cars getting closer

What do you think about this Porsche ? It is just a concept, but the technical details look very interesting. Whenever you hit the pedal, gobs of torque. Really looking forward to the future

http://newsroom.porsche.com/en/prod...ility-all-electrically-concept-car-11391.html

And Audi isn't shy either ...

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/4791

What's happening in the US other than TESLA (and the small GM car) ?

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Love that Porsche concept! Seems like a real departure from the current models, but with a lot of really cool features and enhancements!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Beautiful car. Outwardly, it puts the Tesla to shame.

Given what hackers have recently demonstrated they can do to remotely take control today's cars, I was looking for some mention of anti-hacking tech being engineered into the car. 'Didn't see any such info in the paragraph that dealt with all the "remote" this-and-that (next to last paragraph)...other than the vague reference to a "digital key" that lets the owner (and "others authorized"...hmmm...and who else, then?) open the doors...and a reference to "successful authentication" allowing the key to be "used within a specific time frame and defined location".

OTOH, I have no such security concerns/issues with any of my 'old tech' vehicle's electronics! :lol

At the end of this article it's stated that Porsche doesn't know if the Mission E "or some version of the car" will ever make it into production:

http://www.businessinsider.com/porsche-mission-e-electric-concept-franfurt-2015-9

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
It's a concept, nothing more or less. Someone from BMW design once told me "never fall in love with a concept". Still I like the direction.

To be fair, the TESLA wasn' t meant to be a sportscar so its hard to compare, but I am sure without Tesla this concept would not be there today. Looking forward to a very interesting Future.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To be fair, the TESLA wasn' t meant to be a sportscar so its hard to compare...

When I stated, "Outwardly, it puts the Tesla to shame", I was referring to its looks only. :wink

Regardless, the present day Tesla Model S P85D in "Ludicrous Mode" will reportedly provide 2.8 sec 0-60 times...whereas the Porsche Mission E (at least the current concept version) 'only' nets 3.5. So, Tesla would seem to have THAT area of "sportscar" performance nailed down! There are current "supercars" that can't/are hard pressed to match Tesla's numbers there...

Anyway, about a year or so ago, there was a lot of buzz about G.M. coming out with a mid-engine 'Vette in 2016-17. Many people supposedly "in the know" confirmed that. But, what have we heard since? Crickets. So, one has to wonder where the "E" might actually sit in the 'probability' area.

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I took a ride in the older Tesla Model S (P85 single motor). The torque was truly amazing and I was grinning from the craziness of being in a golfcart that quick. HOWEVER, the lack of sound and driver involvement would get old very fast. I guess since the sound system is so great, they could simulate if you wanted to sound like a monster cammed up V8 or even V12 singing at redline.

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I took a ride in the older Tesla Model S (P85 single motor). The torque was truly amazing and I was grinning from the craziness of being in a golfcart that quick. HOWEVER, the lack of sound and driver involvement would get old very fast. I guess since the sound system is so great, they could simulate if you wanted to sound like a monster cammed up V8 or even V12 singing at redline.

As you know I have a 918. Its a hybrid but what Porsche has done with the electric motors is just amazing. If anyone can pull off an electric car still having a "soul" Porsche can.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
A buddy of mine took delivery of his P85D a few weeks ago. He is now selling his McLaren 'cos he says the Tesla is so awesome it makes the Mac seem old.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I've had my Tesla P85 for almost 3 problem free years. I'm certainly no tree hugger, but love the performance. The car also looks good for a sedan.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had my Tesla P85 for almost 3 problem free years. I'm certainly no tree hugger, but love the performance. The car also looks good for a sedan.

I agree. The car is an excellent "regional driver". A couple of years ago when I was still working at a day job we had a car show and a guy in another department had one. He could drive from Longmont CO to Vail (and back) on one charge. For mountain driving if that is your goal that is pretty decent. Not cross country but a good day trip. My day trips were a little further but some day soon they will make it.

Now of course you understand that the green no emissions on I70 merely moved the carbon emissions to the power plants (coal or nuclear) somewhere else. [That region of Colorado did not benefit from hydroelectric, which to me is the best power source on the planet. Even Solar and Wind are not as "constant"]

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now of course you understand that the green no emissions on I70 merely moved the carbon emissions to the power plants (coal or nuclear) somewhere else.

Egg-dadgum-zackly. :bang

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Egg-dadgum-zackly. :bang

I try to explain to the tree huggers with their priuses this concept and every last one (including my sister) got this doe-in-the-headlights look. I tried to explain how much actual energy (watts) it takes to make a D-cell battery vs how much you get out of it. The laws of physics have not been repealed but they don't teach that any more.