EPA Wants to Ban Modifying our cars!!!!

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
This came out via SEMA today.
EPA Wants to Ban Modifying our cars for racing, but from what I've read, any modification will be illegal.
Big Brother at their finest...

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/02/09/epa-illegal-modify-car-racing-sema-official/

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
This is no surprise. There is a huge parts industry based on the "for off road use only" exception. The EPA has known for years that only a tiny fraction of the people who buy these parts actually use their cars "off road."

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is this a way of revisiting the thing they wanted to do a year or so ago that would disallow any changes to the ECU? With that one, "tunes" would have been forbidden. They tried to say it was "copyrighted" but was really a claim that tunes could interfere with proper system operation and open them up to liability.

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Government at its meddlesome best. Right up Hillary's alley.

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
It's not up Hillary's alley and it's also not happening! EPA revised language of the press release/announcement and all is good. We can sleep tonight now that the government isn't sneaking into our garages at night, checking emissions and possibly confiscating our rides. Or putting speed shops out of business.
Marty

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
With all due respect Marty, are you actually saying the EPA is not squeezing the auto industry & making life more difficult to manufacture performance cars? Isn't that the exact reason why naturally aspirated performance motors are vanishing and being replaced by small displacement turbo engines?

MartynL

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2012
Sarasota, FL
That wasn't the issue with the EPA that I was talking about. The last time I looked, new car manufacturers were not having any problems building and selling mega-horsepower cars: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger, Corvette, Viper, the upcoming Ford GT, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren. For all their squeezing, not see much affecting the cars we like to drive.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Record vehicle sales in 2015 and the absolute golden age of performance cars.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Record vehicle sales in 2015 and the absolute golden age of performance cars.

+1

These are very good days!

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
EPA sucks ass

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
This came out via SEMA today.
EPA Wants to Ban Modifying our cars for racing, but from what I've read, any modification will be illegal.
Big Brother at their finest...

Any comment one might make regarding the above would, of necessity, be "political", so... :bored

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
EPA sucks ass

Don't beat around the bush. Tell us how you feel. :lol

I'm just old enough to remember sitting in traffic and being choked by fumes from all the carbureted cars around me. Now, it's uncommon to the point that I take notice when I smell even a little exhaust from a poorly running car. I don't agree with all the EPA rules and regulations, but, on balance, the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act and the myriad EPA rules have been a good thing and are responsible for the relatively clean environment we enjoy. Visit China, specifically Beijing, to see what kind of environment a society gets without an agency like the EPA.

Regarding aftermarket parts, I'd like to know how much pollution is caused by all those "off road only" parts. I'd wager the amount is infinitesimally small compared to the amount of vehicles on the road.

Last edited:

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
sadly it also sent a lot of business out of the country.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Our little races pollute a lot less than a herd of cows...
See below legal brief from 24 hours of LemMons

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/imag...tm_campaign=LeMons+Law+Brief&utm_medium=email

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
"That wasn't the issue with the EPA that I was talking about. The last time I looked, new car manufacturers were not having any problems building and selling mega-horsepower cars: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger, Corvette, Viper, the upcoming Ford GT, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren. For all their squeezing, not see much affecting the cars we like to drive."

Uh, no. In many states your car has to pass emission tests. Change anything from stock, and you're not passing the test. How many times have posters here inquired about their concerns of having a slightly modified GT fail one of these tests?
In 1976, my first car was a 69 SS Camaro. Immediately after buying it, off came the iron intake & Rochester Qjet,and on went the Edelbrock Torquer & 650 Holley. Next the headers replaced the cast iron exhausts, etc. Today's gear heads cannot do the same thing without possible repercussions. So, yes, there's a government based impediment to enjoying one's own car, and it definitely comes from the anti car faction in the D party. To say otherwise is nonsense.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
I am totally with you.

What's the deal with those "coal burner" guys ?

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
"That wasn't the issue with the EPA that I was talking about. The last time I looked, new car manufacturers were not having any problems building and selling mega-horsepower cars: Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, Charger, Corvette, Viper, the upcoming Ford GT, Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren. For all their squeezing, not see much affecting the cars we like to drive."

Uh, no. In many states your car has to pass emission tests. Change anything from stock, and you're not passing the test. How many times have posters here inquired about their concerns of having a slightly modified GT fail one of these tests?
In 1976, my first car was a 69 SS Camaro. Immediately after buying it, off came the iron intake & Rochester Qjet,and on went the Edelbrock Torquer & 650 Holley. Next the headers replaced the cast iron exhausts, etc. Today's gear heads cannot do the same thing without possible repercussions. So, yes, there's a government based impediment to enjoying one's own car, and it definitely comes from the anti car faction in the D party. To say otherwise is nonsense.

And today there is almost no performance improvement left on the table by the manufacturers. Competition in the market has driven them to wring out as much performance as they can get. Most more now do not appreciably increase performance and many actually decrease it.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
The law has been on the books for years. Yet indefensible. Less than half the states have safety or emission inspections.

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Not true.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
If you care about this, you may want to sign SEMA 's petition -

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/201...email&utm_content=50765031&utm_campaign=eNews