Engine bay LEDs...constant 12V source?

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Gary,

Great photos, as always. You do really nice work with the camera, and I can tell that you try for perfection in your installations.

I have Andrew's kit, and I wanted to install it before the Rally, but the time crunch got me. Didn't want to compromise the quality of the install, and certainly didn't want to miss the transporter. Installing the lites is one of my projects for the car this winter. This thread will help immensely for me to do it right.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a vampire clamp, and where to I get one?

Bill

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bill, Vampire clamp (aka quick splice connector) is available at any Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys, etc. Open the locking tab (you can see where it unsnaps in the photo), stick the wire you want to connect in the black hole, slide the silver hole (which is filled with conducting gel) over the hot wire, squeeze the locking tab shut, and the blade passes through both wires and makes the connection. A lot easier than stripping insulation and soldering the connection. Fine for light duty applications like these LEDs. They come in sizes to match the wire gauge. Gary

804c_2_500.jpg

Last edited:

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks for the info and pictures Xcentric. I'm sure I will be searching for this at some point and your illustrations are perfect. Would love to see the finished product on the lit engine bay. Oh yea and I want a star on my engine bay. (Ha)

Vince H

+1 Thank you

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Gary,

Thanks! Got it. ( great graphic, by the way ) I was not familiar with the conducting gel feature. I'll definitely go this way with my install. For Dr. Frank's benefit, though, it will have to be a RED connector.

By the way, back to your previous photos, I want a matching star on the other side.

Bill