ebay CSX

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
Not connected to this in anyway but thought it of interest as it is listed as "no reserve". Item# 280354799196

Stu

H

HHGT

Stephen Becker had advertised here some time ago. Someone is getting a good deal.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
no one is getting a good deal until the auction ends. The last 10 seconds is when the real bidding will happen.

H

HHGT

I think $61,000 is a heck of a price.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I noticed this car a while ago on a Cobra board and discussed it with Stephen Becker. I don't have the experience with these cars to understand how putting an original engine from a 1968 GT 500 KR into a new CSX body would affect the value of the car vs. a new Ford 427 in the same car. Does anyone have a view on this?

Thank you.

Rob

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
I noticed this car a while ago on a Cobra board and discussed it with Stephen Becker. I don't have the experience with these cars to understand how putting an original engine from a 1968 GT 500 KR into a new CSX body would affect the value of the car vs. a new Ford 427 in the same car. Does anyone have a view on this?

Thank you.

Rob

My view is that a fiberglass car is a replica or kit, no matter who says what or who built it. The 428, very desirable in a 68 Shelby Mustang, is not near as valuable as a date coded 427 side-oiler. Good buy at $60K, but never touch an alum body, side oiler 427 car for that money. I've seen a couple of alum Kirkhams for sale recently for around 100K. I personally have no interest in a fiberglass car unless it is for resale and they are very difficult to sell. You can get a pretty nice fiberglass car with a 302 or 351 for $25K, add for Shelby assembly(CSX#), add for the 428 over a 351. Superformance builds a nice fiberglass car if that is the way someone wishes to go.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
IMO it's in the eyes of the buyer. A continuation CSX Cobra has a relatively narrow value range. A period 427 side oiler would typically add value/appeal because it makes the replica closer to an original competition or S/C model. But those motors are generally not more expensive than a current alloy 427 from Shelby. Almost all, if not all, of the street 427 Cobras were fitted with 428's even though the cars were called and badged "427's". Some buyers would prefer a period 428 over a current 427 and others would not. The biggest shortcoming of the ebay csx is that it's fiberglass rather than aluminum, and that's the biggest value determinant for continuation Cobras. The ebay Cobra was a great buy. The next owner will likely pay much more the next time it sells. :cheers

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
Thanks guys... very helpful. One other quick question if you don't mind my pulling on your experience. How much of a premium should one be willing to pay for a CSX aluminum-bodied car vs. a Kirkham aluminum car?

Thanks,

Rob