E-Transit

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I was in the market for a new van for my office. I went to my local Ford dealer fully intending to buy an Ecoboost Transit. I had rented a 15 passenger dually for a family vacation out west and loved it (although not as fun as the 6-speed manual Transit I rented in the UK).

There were a couple of E-Transits on the lot. I didn’t give them any thought, but the salesman wanted me to test drive one. I’m not an EV guy, but I was sold the first mile. For my purposes, it’s perfect.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Until the next hurricane comes through and knocks out all the power.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Until the next hurricane comes through and knocks out all the power.
Yeah, there is no way I would ever have an EV as my primary vehicle for that reason alone.

Reactions: dshears
Yeah, there is no way I would ever have an EV as my primary vehicle for that reason alone.
However, if the power is out you won't be able to get gas either unless you've stored fuel somewhere - pumps won't work.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
You can drive to where gas pumps are working. You can probably get far enough away from the damage zone in an EV too, but there will be much more competition for recharging stations.

You can drive to where gas pumps are working. You can probably get far enough away from the damage zone in an EV too, but there will be much more competition for recharging stations.
True enough, but the when "the big one" hits the PNW it's going to be an interesting (if unfortunate) test of the hypothesis ...

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Heh, Heh--well, I have a 2021 F150 with the 3.0 diesel. I have a 275 gallon oil tank in my back yard for my house heating and hot water, which doubles as back-up diesel. That gives me over 700 miles of range. If I had to, I could probably drive across the continent without needing to stop for fuel. As for "the big one," the closest volcano is Mt. St. Helens and it erupted 40 years ago, so I think I'm good for several hundred years before the next one! ;)