Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:confused

Maybe send a PM to barondw? Seems like a lot of hassle just to slap it on the rollers...

DallasMustang

*Supporting Vendor*
Nov 21, 2005
That is correct on the removal of the belly pan in the rear to gain access for the rear to strap the car down to the dyno and (like we do it) access for the optical rpm pickup for the harmonic balancer. Time wise, we have done quite a few, so we can do it slightly quicker than that.

Wilson

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
DallasMustang said:
That is correct on the removal of the belly pan in the rear to gain access for the rear to strap the car down to the dyno and (like we do it) access for the optical rpm pickup for the harmonic balancer. Time wise, we have done quite a few, so we can do it slightly quicker than that.

Wilson

Thta is not, repeat not correct. There is no need to remove the rear belly pan to tie the car down. A good dyno guy does it with the pan on.

The only reason to remove the rear belly pan is to gain access to the exhaust to install a bung to run a wideband oxygen sensor. But once an access hole/plug is installed you do not have to remove the belly pan for the oxygen sensor.

Dave

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Wow... the last 2 posts are a bit different. Who do I believe?

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
Well I don't know who you want to believe, but I do know I strapped my car down and didn't take out one screw or anything else.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I know who to believe: the car that was dynoed 4 times. Each time at two different dynos the belly pan was never removed. For a straight dyno pull there is no need to remove the belly pan.

Whipple should be able to strap the car down without removing the belly pan. Also removing the belly pan, as in an oil change does not take any where the time they quoted. Actually the rear two belly pans are removed for an oil change and still takes less time than quoted. An oil change takes 2- 2 1/2 hours including changing filter, draining, refilling, lifting twice, removing pans, etc.

The other reason not to remove a belly pan unless necessary is the potential of stripping the screws which is easy to do.

If Whipple has a problem have them call Bob Ida @ Ida Automotive in Morganville, NJ and learn how it can be done without risking the car. The probbaly know Bob from SEMA shows and elsewhere.

DallasMustang

*Supporting Vendor*
Nov 21, 2005
We remove the belly pan to gain access to the harmonic balancer for the optical pickup. The rpm lead that is on the drivers side of the engine compartment sometimes gives intermittent signals for the rpm even when using a grounded pickup. You can strap the car down without removing the pans, but in order to assure the rpm pickup is without interference, we use the optical pickup on the crank. Both ways can be used like barondw said, but we preffer this way.

Wilson

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Fascinating reason to remove the pans. The car has been dynoed 4 times with no problems including getting a steady, firm signal.

Different strokes for different folks. I'll stick to the way we folks back East do it with no extra charge for removing and replacing a pan.

DallasMustang

*Supporting Vendor*
Nov 21, 2005
barondw, we are not here to argue, simply support the site and offer support for anyone that wants it. I dont remember saying anything about extra charges. We like to provide the services requested at a resonable price and time. Thanks for your input.

Wilson

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
No one that I know of is arguing we have a significant difference of opinion. I said that I will stick to the way we do back East. I see no reason to remove the pan(s), except to access the exhaust for a wideband O2 sensor.

To clarify WhiteBlueGT said he was going to be charged extra to have the dyno done to remove the pans by Whipple. I think that's a totally uneeded cost and potential risk to the stripping the screws depending on how careful some one is in doing the removal and reattachment.

Dave

DallasMustang

*Supporting Vendor*
Nov 21, 2005
barondw said:
No one that I know of is arguing we have a significant difference of opinion. I said that I will stick to the way we do back East. I see no reason to remove the pan(s), except to access the exhaust for a wideband O2 sensor.

To clarify WhiteBlueGT said he was going to be charged extra to have the dyno done to remove the pans by Whipple. I think that's a totally uneeded cost and potential risk to the stripping the screws depending on how careful some one is in doing the removal and reattachment.

Dave

Agreed. We take extreme caution when working on these cars, as I hope everyone would.

Wilson