Drove by my first driver-less car yesterday....

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
....on I-94 in Michigan. A Lexus with a person in the passenger seat plus a bunch of tech garb on the roof. It is coming.....

GeeTee

GT Owner
Jul 5, 2015
http://recode.net/2016/04/10/are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-fords-robot-car-isnt/

Interestingly we went to a speaker's luncheon in Ottawa on the future of AV. Speaker mentioned that in the UK there will be a special transport Minister of AV appointed to oversee and introduce policy no doubt for the resulting societal, environmental, employment and legal etc ramifications. He would like to see other countries doing the same as the impact will be big.
Yes. It is coming.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/401562/pathway-driverless-cars-summary.pdf

Here's an ethical question. Re the programming of an AV vehicle: if there was a potential accident that would result in two or more people being killed, and the AV car was programmed to drive into a wall and potentially kill the single occupant instead ( you) would you still be happy to be transported by the AV car?
Pam

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
http://recode.net/2016/04/10/are-you-afraid-of-the-dark-fords-robot-car-isnt/

Interestingly we went to a speaker's luncheon in Ottawa on the future of AV. Speaker mentioned that in the UK there will be a special transport Minister of AV appointed to oversee and introduce policy no doubt for the resulting societal, environmental, employment and legal etc ramifications. He would like to see other countries doing the same as the impact will be big.
Yes. It is coming.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le/401562/pathway-driverless-cars-summary.pdf

Here's an ethical question. Re the programming of an AV vehicle: if there was a potential accident that would result in two or more people being killed, and the AV car was programmed to drive into a wall and potentially kill the single occupant instead ( you) would you still be happy to be transported by the AV car?
Pam

That's one of the problems with the Orwellian cars. They will never be able to make judgment calls. They will excel at crash avoidance in a multitude of common situations, but when a crash involving multiple dangers becomes unavoidable, I'm not sure I want a computer behind the wheel. In any event, the reality is that these autonomous cars will save far more lives than they take, so from a cost-benefit analysis, they are a no-brainer.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
........ I'm not sure I want a computer behind the wheel. In any event, the reality is that these autonomous cars will save far more lives than they take, so from a cost-benefit analysis, they are a no-brainer.

Ruuut rowwww:

Attachments

• 4652482_l5.jpg
    4652482_l5.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 79

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
If anyone is going to get an autonomous vehicle right it will be Apple

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Would still like to know who'll be on the hook 'legally' when someone's autonomous car is doing the driving and causes a wreck because of a sudden computer glitch/failure or some other issue.

I believe I can make a pretty good guess...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Drove (well sorta) one of the Tesla in autopilot mode the other day. I thought is was cool but it's certainly not ready to be called driverless. The car would have driven off an overpass if I hadn't grabbed the wheel. It mistakenly read lines in the road and the AI tried to kill us all. Not sure if it was poor programming or HAL becoming self aware.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I wonder if you'll have to hit the "START" button to turn it off? And wait 'til the hackers start causing chaos!

Maybe it'll be safer (& slower) to go back to horses - - - I guess too much manure!