Driving to Rally 11 from So Cal?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Is anyone planning to drive to Austin from Southern California?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

As soon as DBK posts up final R11 plans and start date I'll put up details of a Rally to the Rally from Scottsdale. I'll have something cool and unique planned. From Scottsdale it's a 10 hour drive to Fort Stockton for dinner and to spend the night. That leaves a 5 hour drive to Austin the next day. Stay tuned.

Chip

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Sure wish I could do this drive again. The trip from SoCal to Rally 6 via Scottsdale was fantastic.....even with the rain going into Ft. Stockton! Alas we will be heading out of the country on Sept. 18.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Dave - I'd consider making the drive with you if you need a co-pilot? Not sure if Mrs Hilo is going?

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Hi Jason,

Thanks but I already have the right seat filled.

See you in Austin.

Dave

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
OH, is Ed Ung coming with you?

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I'll be driving from SoCal and looking forward to turning heads along the 10 with multiple GTs in parade.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I'll be driving from SoCal and looking forward to turning heads along the 10 with multiple GTs in parade.

Great! Let's coordinate. I'm planning to use I-10 also. I'm stopping in Upland to pick up my co-pilot.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
OH, is Ed Ung coming with you?

Not this year - but he asked about you.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Definitely. I'm starting in Lake Forest, next to Irvine. Easy to meet you in Upland if not earlier.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Definitely. I'm starting in Lake Forest, next to Irvine. Easy to meet you in Upland if not earlier.

Perfect! I will work out a schedule.

Cobraguy

GT Owner
Gentlemen,

As soon as DBK posts up final R11 plans and start date I'll put up details of a Rally to the Rally from Scottsdale. I'll have something cool and unique planned. From Scottsdale it's a 10 hour drive to Fort Stockton for dinner and to spend the night. That leaves a 5 hour drive to Austin the next day. Stay tuned.

Chip

Chip.....Bon and I are planning on coordinating our fall GT haul to Phoenix with the Pre-Rally. So if you have room for us, we're in!

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Would be interested in seeing a rough So Cal to Austin schedule. Most likely I will try to ship, but if I can find the extra time, I think a group drive would be pretty awesome. Not sure how many extra days that adds on the front end and back end of the rally.

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Would be interested in seeing a rough So Cal to Austin schedule. Most likely I will try to ship, but if I can find the extra time, I think a group drive would be pretty awesome. Not sure how many extra days that adds on the front end and back end of the rally.

As soon as DBK and Chip firm up their schedules, I will put up the So Cal to Scottsdale portion. Hope you come along.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hilo, you'd better be sure Syco doesn't drive like Ung.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Hilo, you'd better be sure Syco doesn't drive like Ung.

Not sure who Ung is. Lol.

Plan A is transporting car in a group with Jerry, Ed, and Vince.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Believe me Randy, it was a direct insult to your driving abilities. We will fill you in when you hit Texas.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Chip Beck Rally to the Rally

Gentlemen,

The last time we had a Texas Rally a number of members driving or trailering from the west gathered in Scottsdale for a day of revelry en route to Austin. We are going to do it again. Festivities will begin in Scottsdale with dinner at Don & Charlie's at 7:00 PM on Monday September 12. Secure monitored parking will be provided for GT's. Accommodations on the nights of Monday the 12th and Tuesday the 13th will be at the Marriott Old Town Inn Suites in Scottsdale. Secure and separate underground parking will be provided for GT's at the hotel. I'll procure and post a good guy rate within a couple days. On Tuesday Sep 13 at 11:00 AM lunch will be catered at my home by Honey Bear's BBQ. The bar will be open and everything is complimentary of course. After lunch we will drive to Falcon Field to climb into and tour the world's finest fully restored B-17 bomber "Sentimental Journey". That could change if the aircraft gets scheduled to fly out of state on that date but an equally interesting event will be substituted in that event. Dinner on Tuesday night will be up in Carefree, AZ at a fun location. The following morning (Wednesday) our crew will depart from the Marriott at 7:00 AM for a ten hour drive to Fort Stockton, Texas. I'll arrange for hotel rooms there and a group dinner. Departure from Fort Stockton at 7:00 AM Thursday morning the 15th for a 5 hour drive to Austin and Rally 11 headquarters in Austin. This will get us to COTA in time to see practice and pit activities.

We have had some spectacular Rallies to the Rally over the years and this year is going to be no exception. So....be there or be square! Spend some time on the road with your GT friends. Post up here if you are thinking about joining us. Take a couple extra days, save big on shipping your GT, and do what it was meant to do, DRIVE IT!!!! All the best.

Chip

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
For SYCO GT and ENZO BTR and anyone else who wants to Rally to the Rally to the Rally from So Cal.

Here is a tentative schedule.

Sep 12 8:00A
Start in Upland or ?
Meet ENZO BTR
Drive to Scottsdale
Check in at Marriott
Dinner at Don and Charlie’s

Sep 13 11:00A
Lunch at Chip’s home
Tour B-17
Dinner in Carefree, AZ

Sep 14 7:00A
Drive to Ft. Stockton

Sep 15 7:00A
Drive to Austin
Check in at Marriott
Rally begins at noon

Sep 16
Rally

Sep 17
Rally

Sep 18
Rally
Rally ends at 10:00P

Sep 19
Check out of Marriott
Drive to Amarillo, TX

Sep 20
Drive to Gallup, NM

Sep 21
Drive to So Cal

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thanks for the schedule Hilo!

I'm going to have my GT transported with Jerry, Ed, Vince and gang.

Have an awesome run and we will see you in Austin!

And Dr. Frank, thanks for the insult. LOL!